Senton Getting My 3s Senton to Perform on the Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerx13

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Greetings All,

I’ve been running at my local indoor clay track weekly and am having a blast. I’m not looking to go full send into racing and have just been racing my Senton 3s. Surprisingly the truck has zero issues with handling or landing correctly off jumps. I’ve done the following mods:

1. Proline Bald Eagle Tires in super soft
2. Amazon Servo
3. FlySky Radio

The only real issue I’m having is a back corner jump that no matter how well I hit it, it won’t clear it. I just need a tad bit more umph on 2s to make it and then I’d be good on the track. I’ve messed with punch setting and that isn’t getting me what I need.

What is my best option for getting over this dang jump?

1. Change the spur/pinion?
2. Upgrade motor/esc?
3. Something else?

Thanks for your time.

Greetings All,

I’ve been running at my local indoor clay track weekly and am having a blast. I’m not looking to go full send into racing and have just been racing my Senton 3s. Surprisingly the truck has zero issues with handling or landing correctly off jumps. I’ve done the following mods:

1. Proline Bald Eagle Tires in super soft
2. Amazon Servo
3. FlySky Radio

The only real issue I’m having is a back corner jump that no matter how well I hit it, it won’t clear it. I just need a tad bit more umph on 2s to make it and then I’d be good on the track. I’ve messed with punch setting and that isn’t getting me what I need.

What is my best option for getting over this dang jump?

1. Change the spur/pinion?
2. Upgrade motor/esc?
3. Something else?

Thanks for your time.
Get a 3s lipo battery and run it on high.

If you have to use 2s at that track and you aren't worried about speed, then you could try lowering the pinion tooth a little to get more acceleration. Similar to using the punch. (I'm surprised that didn't help though)

Do you have video of your truck failing to make the jump?

A change in gearing should do it, but it depends on whether the problem is your top speed is not enough to clear the jump (gear up), or the run-up is too short and you aren't able to accelerate hard enough to get to a high enough speed to clear it (gear down).

Stock gearing is designed for 12.6V * 3200kV motor, which is about 40k RPMs. If you're only running 2S, you're only getting 8.4V * 3200kV = 26k RPMs. So most likely you need to gear up. But you'll be limited to 2S if you gear up.

And always run max punch.

Do you have video of your truck failing to make the jump?

A change in gearing should do it, but it depends on whether the problem is your top speed is not enough to clear the jump (gear up), or the run-up is too short and you aren't able to accelerate hard enough to get to a high enough speed to clear it (gear down).

Stock gearing is designed for 12.6V * 3200kV motor, which is about 40k RPMs. If you're only running 2S, you're only getting 8.4V * 3200kV = 26k RPMs. So most likely you need to gear up. But you'll be limited to 2S if you gear up.

And always run max punch.
Thanks for the advice and I watch your channel regularly; it is awesome.

This jump is in the back corner after a hump, so you have to slowly roll the corner hill right into the double. The need is hard acceleration.

So basically I need to find a 5mm hole, 32P (or 0.8MOD) pinion set ranging from say 15-19t?

Thanks for the advice and I watch your channel regularly; it is awesome.

This jump is in the back corner after a hump, so you have to slowly roll the corner hill right into the double. The need is hard acceleration.

So basically I need to find a 5mm hole, 32P (or 0.8MOD) pinion set ranging from say 15-19t?

Thanks! Check the manual, IIRC stock is 17t, so I’d try 1-2 teeth lower depending on how close you are to making it.

I run my Senton on an indoor clay track as well. 15 tooth pinion on the stock motor, 2s. With the 15t, it seems to have good short burst speed, but still plenty fast on the straight. My problem is I'm still using the stock tires, although they're worn down pretty good. Need to get some tires for clay, like yours. How do you have your shocks set-up? Mine tends to nose dive on the bigger jumps unless I slow down a little.

I run my Senton on an indoor clay track as well. 15 tooth pinion on the stock motor, 2s. With the 15t, it seems to have good short burst speed, but still plenty fast on the straight. My problem is I'm still using the stock tires, although they're worn down pretty good. Need to get some tires for clay, like yours. How do you have your shocks set-up? Mine tends to nose dive on the bigger jumps unless I slow down a little.
I have shocks at stock, no issues with flight or landing. The stock tires struggled a bit, nothing horrible though. Track specific tires helped cut a few seconds.

Just curious about which rigs you are competing against at your track. The most popular brands there.

Just curious about which rigs you are competing against at your track. The most popular brands there.

I’m new to racing so I’m mostly just going to open practice and working in getting my skills improved and my times down. However, the track is pretty serious and most guys are racing Tekno SCTs, a few Slash Ultimates with heavy mods, and some Sentons. The owner’s son won the class one year by taking a stock 3s Senton and just swapping the tires out; however, he’s a good driver.

I had tried the Tekno, the Associated RTR Pro2 and Pro4 on the track and finally had better success with the Senton. I know that sounds counter to logic, but it is what worked for me. The track has about 10 Sentons as their rental cars as well because they are durable and handle the track surprisingly well.

The biggest classes there are 1/10 and 1/8 buggy/truggy. Those guys are racing $1000 rigs that they tweak and work on and improve daily. I’m not at that level yet. The Senton was the first car that when I used it, I got much improved results and had fun doing it.

Stock 6s Typhons and the TLR Typhons also fair pretty well on the track. For me I just am not ready to build a $1000 Tekno/Associated/Etc buggy when I don’t have the skills yet. I like having something I can bash and also race with a simple tire swap and also have parts on hand to make repairs, which are minimal.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back