Kraton Getting new bearings in motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Apex

Reaction score
So I’m a bit frustrated getting new bearings in my 2050kv motor. Heated up the can end, put the bearing in the freezer. Positioned the bearing on the can end but not really straight. Tried to reposition it, burned my fingers, got the bearing halfway in but by this time the bearing has absorbed the heat of the can end so it won’t go in any further.

Tried this a couple of times, eventually applied to much force and wrecker the bearing. Don’t really want to try again (and just buy a Rocket motor) but I have a HW 4985 waiting on new bearings. I don’t want to ruin that too.

How do you do this?

The can end can be a PITA. Had a bearing go bad once and was unable to get it out.
In the end I took a Dremel and drilled two small holes just left and right of where the bearing hole would be. Put the end can on a hex socket that is large enough fir the bearing to fall through. Take a pin and hammer and tap left and right in turns until the bearing falls out. Makes replacing bearing pretty easy😉. Just put a small piece of tape over the two opening fir dirt protection.

You only have a small window of time to drop in the BB. The Alloy end cap is what cools down quickest and contracts in size. Probably your problem.
BB had better be straight and squarely placed from the start. Usually a one shot deal or do it all over again.
Use the armature shaft with BB on it to squarely drop/push in the BB. Sure can burn yourself. Don't use a torch or fire. A heat gun is all you need on the alloy endcap. Alloy expands faster with heat, yet also contracts faster than the steel BB. BB left in the freezer for 15+ min is best. Have the frozen BB close and ready nearby once you heat up the Endcap.
It works. Done this numerous times. Within minutes the BB is snug and tight inside the Endcap. But initially usually just literally drops completely into its BB recess.
Getting the old BB's out is usually the bigger issue. Heating the endcap can help with removal. Not much needed. Use the armature shaft or same size to pull out the old BB. Also, the "bread trick" works with "blind" BB recesses. For bricked BB's. The bread ruins the old BB beyond use.

Last edited:
It shouldn't take that much force. You should be able to tap it in with the shaft of the magneto.

Okay I’ll keep on practicing with the Spektrum motor (from which I now ruined the end cap by hammering out the front bearing a bit to motivated.) so I get some practice before I start with the HW.

Thanks for the pointers everybody.

Okay I’ll keep on practicing with the Spektrum motor (from which I now ruined the end cap by hammering out the front bearing a bit to motivated.) so I get some practice before I start with the HW.

Thanks for the pointers everybody.
Check what bearings the 4985 come with. Mine came with ‘Singapore’ bearings which aren’t that bad. The Taiwan and China ones seem to be pretty bad and are prone to quick failure.
I have ceramic bearings ready to install though with the next motor service.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back