Big Rock Giving up on the 3s platform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was running a BRCC V1 for several years. Besides general maintenance I never had issues. I wanted something more durable, but could be upgraded in the future and close in size to the BRCC. After seeing @razorrc Sketer videos I went with it. Did a few upgrades "widened, Badlands, and 16t pinion" he did and it was a beast. Then I got the 6s itch that I had to scratch. I put a max 8 and 4274 motor with 16t pinion. It handles great with tons of power-too fast for me. Now I run 4s only. Seems to be the sweet spot for bashing.

Last edited:
I have ran the stock servo in my maxx since new (4 years?), and have NEVER had a problem. I have had to replace all but one stock Arrma servo. I have 7 Arrma rigs.
Maybe you’re lucky? My servo just went kapoot last week, maybe I’m just a bit sour😂. I also owned a 2wd rustler VXL and my servo went 3 times. The servo saver also wears out super fast. The steering is decent with a new servo saver, but they wear out in about 4 bashes in my experience.

How would you describe the difference between the two? Why do you like the Outcast better?
The Outcast is a stunt truck. It is very capable of backflips even on 3s. It's air control is far superior and it's stability at speeds.

So i love the bigrock in many ways. Great size to power ratio, good durability in many forms. But the few flaws that the arrma 3s line have beat me down enough to part ways. Drive shafts, slipper clutch and diffs. Always seems one of them fails every run, tired of throwing money at it. Will be trying to sell to recoupe some money and will be going to a maxx v2 or corally sketer..
The number one complaint I hear on here all the time is parts breaking. Ever think the reason or part of the reason is because of how people drive these rigs.🤔

Tenía un Typhon 3s y también tenía muchos más problemas de los que valía la pena, problemas con la zapatilla y el eje de transmisión constantemente. Nunca hice big air tampoco, simplemente corrí a toda velocidad en la tierra/hierba. Vendí el mío en eBay después de que lo arreglé por última vez.
Hola, yo tengo un typhoon 3 s y le cambié los diferenciales por los metálicos de los 4 s y no tengo ningún problema y va de maravilla , el próximo cambio será la corona de metal y será indestructible

Just curious here, what about moving to a 1/5 (8s outcast for example).
I am just asking because (I am new to RC) the 3s Vorteks is a lot of fun for the kids and I am starting to be addicted and wondering if "bigger is better"..

Why people seem to stay on a specific line (3s or 4s) and not going up to 8s?

Hola, yo tengo un typhoon 3 s y le cambié los diferenciales por los metálicos de los 4 s y no tengo ningún problema y va de maravilla , el próximo cambio será la corona de metal y será indestructible
Buenos dias mi amigo.mira aqui no ha muchas personas espana.tienhas que abalar Englis. Se tienhes un Typhon 3 se podes a cabiar para metal de quarto.pero quidado con El perfusos.eles no sao bueno.buenos sorte.🤟😁👍

Buenos dias mi amigo.mira aqui no ha muchas personas espana.tienhas que abalar Englis. Se tienhes un Typhon 3 se podes a cabiar para metal de quarto.pero quidado con El perfusos.eles no sao bueno.buenos sorte.🤟😁👍
Yo hablo muy pequeño español, pero yo entiendo unas pocas fraces. Yo quiero un Talion 6s.

I am just asking because (I am new to RC) the 3s Vorteks is a lot of fun for the kids and I am starting to be addicted and wondering if "bigger is better"..

Why people seem to stay on a specific line (3s or 4s) and not going up to 8s

Why people seem to stay on a specific line (3s or 4s) and not going up to 8s?
Some stay for different reasons.all depends on that specific individual..it's all on you @Mathieu . nothing is telling you that you need to stay on 3s or 4s.its what ever you wish to do bud.. everyone is different.i personally love the 3s line and love the xtra power of 4s..there are many kinds of rc hobbiest..1 type is the hard bashing type.meaning off road. some love to do high flips and jumps and stunts and they run it on dirt or sand or even water..2nd type would be those like my self that love speed and street bashing..on road.then another is those that love to race . weather it's on road or off road..and those that love rock crawlers..and for everything else I'd say a mix of people that love to just relax and customize and baby their rigs make them beautiful with custom paint jobs .lights etc..and let's not forget them hobbiest that love rc boats and planes.some love trains .it's almost endless of what you can do .. again it's all on what you want to do to have fun .🤟😁👍
Yo hablo muy pequeño español, pero yo entiendo unas pocas fraces. Yo quiero un Talion 6s.
You want a talion 6s huh ? Lol .🤟😁👍

Last edited:
The number one complaint I hear on here all the time is parts breaking. Ever think the reason or part of the reason is because of how people drive these rigs.🤔
Just to add to this note I don't hear speed runners or street bashers complain about suspension parts breaking or the things that get broken from the hard abuse that off road bashers get.its kinda common sense that off road bashing will eventually cause damage.one reason why I never did off road .I don't deal with almost any of the issues that they do because it's not my style..yes if I crash during a speed pass I also can break things .but I'm conservative and I take it easy.ik my limits..but others love to push there's.and that's the chance they take..those that get frustrated of allways breaking parts should probably change there style or keep replacing and be happy..even the best of the best parts will break or bend or crack when pushed it's limits..🤟😁👍

I think set up is obviously important, but still something is off with the Arrma 3s slipper. I watched every video I could find on the 3s slipper, read every thread I could find here and spent hours each time I broke a slipper hub trying to look at it thoroughly to make sure it was set up exactly right including backing off as much as 2.5 turns. Still cracked the hubs without bashing hard, no jumping, no hitting curbs/trees/etc., just a few tumbles and rollovers and it would crack again and again. Its not like I don't understand how to set up a slipper, I have zero problems with them on non-Arrma rigs that I run way more often.

The Arrma 3s slipper is very odd. Some on here never have an issue, some have nothing but issues and its not just noobs that have issues with it. Arrma released a sleeve to reinforce it and hopefully that works. Still can't believe no one has come up with a slipper hub made of better material though, seems like a part that would be in high demand considering how many people have issues with the stock hub.

That said, for the OP I think you have gotten the best recommendations for alternatives to the 3s line that you will get. If you want easy parts availabilty, Traxxas and Arrma are almost always the easiest to find parts for. If you want to look at others, the Kaiju & Sketer are solid choices.

Oktay did, 7075 slipper hub it is out of stock at the moment https://demarco-autosports.square.s...75-aluminum-us-customers/3?cs=true&cst=custom

That being said, I agree the 3s line while being robust in some areas is just full of stupid design decisions that cause the vehicle to have flaws that cannot be fixed. I know some people like to disagree with anyone that has issues with this platform but being as how so many people have issues with things like the slipper, driveshafts and the motor module these issues cannot be ignored or just brushed off because "I don't have that problem". The designs are flawed and threads like this just go to show that they are indeed a problem. And these issues are the reason I have also given up on the Arrma 1/10 4x4 platform because it got extremely tiresome having to tear down the motor module after every 3 runs to replace the all bearings.

@King blitz you are right I agree with you it’s a preference and what people like.
I had the impression that moving up the line would mean more of everything but it does not seems to be the case.

Sorry I have hard time to explain. Is there a pros and cons table somewhere to indicate what each category offers? Speed, air control, reliability…
For example what the 3s line is better at compared to a 8s line. Or what the 4s line would offer that the 6s line.
What motivate people to change line.

Sorry it might be too philosophical 😀

@King blitz you are right I agree with you it’s a preference and what people like.
I had the impression that moving up the line would mean more of everything but it does not seems to be the case.

Sorry I have hard time to explain. Is there a pros and cons table somewhere to indicate what each category offers? Speed, air control, reliability…
For example what the 3s line is better at compared to a 8s line. Or what the 4s line would offer that the 6s line.
What motivate people to change line.

Sorry it might be too philosophical 😀
I don't know if arrma offer's a table of pro's and cons but I do know that if you each arrma vehicle has a spec sheet regarding what it has to offer.a 6s truck will have beefier suspension and chassis than a 3s truck.arrma 3s line has a composite chassis and where all the 6s and 8s line have a aluminum chassis.to support the heavier component's and because those lines have a lot more power.i don't know what kind of bashing you like to do..and I'm not sure I'm explaining or answering your question correctly.

Oktay did, 7075 slipper hub it is out of stock at the moment https://demarco-autosports.square.s...75-aluminum-us-customers/3?cs=true&cst=custom

That being said, I agree the 3s line while being robust in some areas is just full of stupid design decisions that cause the vehicle to have flaws that cannot be fixed. I know some people like to disagree with anyone that has issues with this platform but being as how so many people have issues with things like the slipper, driveshafts and the motor module these issues cannot be ignored or just brushed off because "I don't have that problem". The designs are flawed and threads like this just go to show that they are indeed a problem. And these issues are the reason I have also given up on the Arrma 1/10 4x4 platform because it got extremely tiresome having to tear down the motor module after every 3 runs to replace the all bearings.
Simple solution.. change your style of how your using your rig..turn it into a speed runner .and you'll experience less breaking.and maybey have more fun.the problems I keep hearing that people have after they send these rigs up in the air crashing back down hard or when they flip and tumble 50 times on the ground seems again to be the issue of the style your choosing to bash..I don't understand how people can put so much stress on parts by how they are using it and then wounder why things break.there just is no such components made that will Handel any abuse you give it.eventually it will break..I don't have any of the issues that bashers have because that's not my style .I like street bashing and take it easy .speed passes and never broke anything yet.but it's a guarantee I will break something if I crash it .that's why I go easy.but for other people bashing hard is what they love to do and they don't mind to keep fixing because that's there style.good luck bud .🤟😁👍

Simple solution.. change your style of how your using your rig..turn it into a speed runner .and you'll experience less breaking.and maybey have more fun.the problems I keep hearing that people have after they send these rigs up in the air crashing back down hard or when they flip and tumble 50 times on the ground seems again to be the issue of the style your choosing to bash..I don't understand how people can put so much stress on parts by how they are using it and then wounder why things break.there just is no such components made that will Handel any abuse you give it.eventually it will break..I don't have any of the issues that bashers have because that's not my style .I like street bashing and take it easy .speed passes and never broke anything yet.but it's a guarantee I will break something if I crash it .that's why I go easy.but for other people bashing hard is what they love to do and they don't mind to keep fixing because that's there style.good luck bud .🤟😁👍

Did you even read my post? Or the post that I quoted for that matter. What I am talking about are inherent flaws in the design of the cars. Not breaking parts because we beat the crap out of them. Show me where I said in my post that I was breaking parts. Arrma knows the designs have flaws and have even tried to band-aid said flaws over the years.

I said
The designs are flawed and threads like this just go to show that they are indeed a problem. And these issues are the reason I have also given up on the Arrma 1/10 4x4 platform because it got extremely tiresome having to tear down the motor module after every 3 runs to replace the all bearings.

Did you even read my post? Or the post that I quoted for that matter. What I am talking about are inherent flaws in the design of the cars. Not breaking parts because we beat the crap out of them. Show me where I said in my post that I was breaking parts. Arrma knows the designs have flaws and have even tried to band-aid said flaws over the years.

I said
Sorry I was on a thread earlier and we were talking about why things break and I must have thought I was still on that thread.that reply wasn't intended for you.
Sorry I was on a thread earlier and we were talking about why things break and I must have thought I was still on that thread.that reply wasn't intended for you.
@slick2500 plz forgive me 🥺 and did not mean to upset you so much .can we still be friends?🤟😁👍
So since I'm here I'm curious to how would you design these certain problem areas that you think arrma has done poorly on.if you have the solution then maybe reaching out to arrma will Bennifit us.

Last edited:
Fact of the matter. Slipper set up, drive shafts ,diffs ruin the 3s line. I have adjusted, tweaked and rebuilt countless times. To turn a off road truck into an on road truck to try and fix the problems show how much of a problem it is

Fact of the matter. Slipper set up, drive shafts ,diffs ruin the 3s line. I have adjusted, tweaked and rebuilt countless times. To turn a off road truck into an on road truck to try and fix the problems show how much of a problem it is
Interesting 🤔..

So the proposition here is that the 3s trucks have flawed designs which make them susceptible to breakage.

The other end of the spectrum are folks who say they have never had major problems with the 3s trucks even driving them hard.

One might ask: how do you rectify these two camps? But then I have to ask myself, do I have to rectify them?

Personally, while there are a bunch of things I moan about on the 3s trucks, there are alot of things that are better than the 6s trucks and a reason why I keep them in my stable. And reasons why I would choose them over the 6s trucks in the right condition. That doesn't mean that I'm "right", at least for someone else. And certainly not for every single condition or circumstances.

There's really no need to argue about whether someone's preferences or experiences are right compared to somebody else's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back