Big Rock Giving up on the 3s platform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

Reaction score
So i love the bigrock in many ways. Great size to power ratio, good durability in many forms. But the few flaws that the arrma 3s line have beat me down enough to part ways. Drive shafts, slipper clutch and diffs. Always seems one of them fails every run, tired of throwing money at it. Will be trying to sell to recoupe some money and will be going to a maxx v2 or corally sketer..

The arrma 3S platform is great for the price. It sounds like you’re just graduating to a higher priced vehicle.

The Maxx is super durable but handles like poop.

The Arrma 6S lineup is pretty durable and handles pretty well.

No experience with TC.

Last edited:
My rival mt10 has been awsome, my corally kronos has been good too. Have had more problems with the bigrock than both combined
The arrma 3S platform is great for the price. It sounds like you’re just graduating to a higher priced vehicle.

The Maxx is super durable but handles like poop.

The Kraton 6S lineup is pretty durable and handles pretty good.

No experience with TC.

Not sure how ya feel about a on road street machine or speedrunning, but they are great for either with 2.85 ratio diffs an hot racing spool they fly...smaller on road tires won't destroy drivetrain like heavy off road tires..I ran 135mph with plastic diffs an stock axles no problems

I had a Typhon 3s and also had way more problems than it was worth, slipper and driveshaft issues constantly. Never did big air either, just ripping around full throttle in the dirt/grass. Sold mine on ebay after I fixed it one final time.

Maybe I got lucky with my Big Rock but in the last 10 months I have broken one CVD due to rookie mistake, toasted a slipper bearing again rookie mistake, lost a wheel, broke a c hub and after 6 months still running on a broken/ glued front shock. That thing takes a beating like nothing I have seen. I let kids run it and they smack buildings, curbs and street signs (oh wait that last one was me). I have broken less on the Big Rock than on my Kraton 6s.
I wish you all the best, as I know nothing of the other brands and hope you still have happy bash days.

Same here ..done throw so much money in it and things still coming loose or breaking n yes i catch air but not higher then me.just fed up with the rock!! Goin to fix my kraton 6s

So i love the bigrock in many ways. Great size to power ratio, good durability in many forms. But the few flaws that the arrma 3s line have beat me down enough to part ways. Drive shafts, slipper clutch and diffs. Always seems one of them fails every run, tired of throwing money at it. Will be trying to sell to recoupe some money and will be going to a maxx v2 or corally sketer..
I'm sorry to hear. I haven't had the same experience with my 3s fleet. They've been bullet proof apart from cosmetic stuff. No driveline issues.

As mentioned above, I've heard good things about the Team Associated Rivel MT's. But then again every RC will break at some point.

I'm thinking the same as @dure16 .. sounds like you want to move up? Both the Maxx and Sketer are 4s. Totally different animals from one another though with one being a traditional MT(Maxx) and the other being a truggy. Both are significantly heavier than a 1/10 3s I'm guessing. I have no experience with Arrma 3s, nor the Sketer. Being the Maxx and Sketer are very different by design, I think it's more important to figure which style vehicle fits your interests. My brother has a v1 Maxx, it is tough, and relatively quick, but handling is sloppy in general. I'm sure in a track type setting the Sketer would leave it behind in a hurry, but that's not what the Maxx was made for. It's awesome for general stunting and occasional blasts up and down the street though.
I will also add that both my brother and I have several TRX 3s rigs and they've proven to be quite durable for us. Also, there's no way a Maxx or Sketer running 4s will keep pace with a true 1/10 scale running 3s.

I'm thinking the same as @dure16 .. sounds like you want to move up? Both the Maxx and Sketer are 4s. Totally different animals from one another though with one being a traditional MT(Maxx) and the other being a truggy. Both are significantly heavier than a 1/10 3s I'm guessing. I have no experience with Arrma 3s, nor the Sketer. Being the Maxx and Sketer are very different by design, I think it's more important to figure which style vehicle fits your interests. My brother has a v1 Maxx, it is tough, and relatively quick, but handling is sloppy in general. I'm sure in a track type setting the Sketer would leave it behind in a hurry, but that's not what the Maxx was made for. It's awesome for general stunting and occasional blasts up and down the street though.
I will also add that both my brother and I have several TRX 3s rigs and they've proven to be quite durable for us. Also, there's no way a Maxx or Sketer running 4s will keep pace with a true 1/10 scale running 3s.
I already have a 1/8 scale. So its not wanting to move up. Just want to replace it with some thing not so fragile

Get a 6S Typhon or Talion...you won't be disappointed. If you like it rough you can convert a Typhon to a Senton by changing the shock towers and getting the extra support pieces (it's not that expensive to do if you've got a Typhon already). A Senton is basically a Typhon with extra padding and a stronger body...same chassis and drive train. The Senton 6S is (or was since they don't make them anymore) one of the toughest and most durable you can get. It's a little beast similar to the Mojave. Speaking of which...a Mojave ain't a bad idea either.

I'm sorry to hear. I haven't had the same experience with my 3s fleet. They've been bullet proof apart from cosmetic stuff. No driveline issues.

As mentioned above, I've heard good things about the Team Associated Rivel MT's. But then again every RC will break at some point.
Yup, If set up right they are pretty solid. I will admit though, with the new 4s parts available on Jenny’s my favorite 3s cars are now durable and capable 4s beasties, and I love them.

I have an mt10 and it’s been very durable. I just didn’t like driving it much, so it’s the guest car. It’s practically no maintenance, which is nice because Arrmas are rather high maintenance 😂 fortunately I love working on them so all good.

B2751DF9-6B3F-48C2-AE89-66C717F0EBE3.jpeg

0BB16928-C27B-47FD-9CCB-FB7BF6904BA2.jpeg

I already have a 1/8 scale. So its not wanting to move up. Just want to replace it with some thing not so fragile
I hear you, the maxx is a good rig for minimum hassle, but as you know, it's pricey. For all around bashing, it doesn't disappoint. Parts are everywhere and generally quite cheap.

Yup, If set up right they are pretty solid. I will admit though, with the new 4s parts available on Jenny’s my favorite 3s cars are now durable and capable 4s beasties, and I love them.

I have an mt10 and it’s been very durable. I just didn’t like driving it much, so it’s the guest car. It’s practically no maintenance, which is nice because Arrmas are rather high maintenance 😂 fortunately I love working on them so all good.

View attachment 269024

View attachment 269025
Good points, I actually forgot about the v2 4s Arrmas. Also there's the MT8 and Kaiju which are priced well under the Maxx. I have the OG kaiju, love it. My bro and I run Maxx and Kaiju against one another. They match up quite well IMO.

The price of the maxx kills it. Way overpriced. Mt8 seems brittle, kaju idk. The v2 arrma still have the cheap slipper set up.

6s Arrma is my favorite line. I have 4, 6 and 8s. I don't own any 3s rigs but I do have a 4s V2 OC and it's getting to the point that I break something every time I drive it. I do drive them hard but the 6s Kraton is by far the most fun for me.

The price of the maxx kills it. Way overpriced. Mt8 seems brittle, kaju idk. The v2 arrma still have the cheap slipper set up.
Based on what you've said, sounds like a Sketer is what you're after. Not a bad choice at all especially since you already have the xtr. Same gearboxes and diffs. 👍

@Caleb90 - I see the 3S as the learning point for everything. Shame that you've had a bad run with it - feel the pain there. My future purchase is going to be a Talion and an Infraction, but I love the 3S rig. Still can't drive it on anything higher than 50% :) And even though I seem to be going through steering blocks and slipper clutches during my learning curve period, I still love the ARRMA rigs, they are freaking awesome. Maybe you got a bad lot. Hope you find the best rig for you.

@Caleb90 - I see the 3S as the learning point for everything. Shame that you've had a bad run with it - feel the pain there. My future purchase is going to be a Talion and an Infraction, but I love the 3S rig. Still can't drive it on anything higher than 50% :) And even though I seem to be going through steering blocks and slipper clutches during my learning curve period, I still love the ARRMA rigs, they are freaking awesome. Maybe you got a bad lot. Hope you find the best rig for you.
The fact that your going through parts at half power show how weak key components are on this platform

The fact that your going through parts at half power show how weak key components are on this platform
No, he’s learning how to drive the car as well as work on it. It’s called a learning curve. Takes time to figure it out, but if the effort is put forth to actually learn how to set these things up properly and drive them within their limitations, it’s a very sturdy platform.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back