Gka braces vs Hot Racing

Typhon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Just wanted to share some tips/knowledge for those inquiring on chassis braces.

While hot racing recently stirred up these post with their new chassis braces and people are buying them for the "cool factor", I wouldn't base my decision on that alone. Other than looks between the 2 theirs quite the difference in the quality of aluminum used. GKA uses a higher quality/expensive aluminum (7075) that resist stress quite well and is stronger than their counterpart. Hot racing on the other hand uses a lower grade aluminum (6061) which is cheaper to purchase and easier to machine/weld/etc but isn't as strong and doesn't handle stress loads as well as (7075).

Weight differences are rather minute between the 2 but 6061 is generally a hair less. I've been burned countless times by hot racing products and i cant stress it enough to steer clear from them. Generally their products are cheaper (except this one) for a reason because the quality of metal isn't their. I built an axial yeti 1/10 with several hot racing parts that failed with only 1-2 outings and they don't warrant their product. Gka starts off using quality materials from the start and for me its a no brainer where id spend my money. Gka has listened to our gripes/issues and has produced parts to fix many of our complaints-Kudos GKA. Gka is Canada based not Chinese and i believe has opened up a distributor in the states?

Please correct me if I'm wrong gka or chime in :) if you did buy hot racing braces or gka i hope they work out for everyone and happy bashing to all :)

slpcrf450x

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Wish I would have seen this before. I got a front hot racing brace and I was going to try the GKA one in the rear.

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Have you used the Hot Racing Chassis Braces and had one fail? Have you seen a post where someone had a hot racing chassis brace that failed? Not that other parts failing isn't a reason not to use a company. I wouldn't use them either, if I had had several parts fail on me. I only ask because, clearly the HR braces are stronger than the stock braces. And clearly they are lighter than the GKA Braces. If the strength of something is sufficient and it's lighter, and looks cool (to me anyway), does that mean it is not as good a part as something that is stronger and heavier? If that answer is yes, then I may as well go get a 1 inch steel bar, and run it tower to tower. Sure it'll weigh the car down, but it'll take a lickin.

I don't want to sound like I'm flying the Flag for Hot Racing, but considering the # of Kraton parts and Team Asscparts I have from them, they should send me a Flag to fly. None of which has failed. Not to say they won't in the future.

GKA has provided excellent customer service and communication with me on my order. We ran into some issues with Canada Post, but that has been solved. Greg was on top of it as soon as I told him I had not received it yet. Awesome company, and service.

Sorry, but it just sounds like you have an ax to grind.

Typhon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Have you used the Hot Racing Chassis Braces and had one fail? Have you seen a post where someone had a hot racing chassis brace that failed? Not that other parts failing isn't a reason not to use a company. I wouldn't use them either, if I had had several parts fail on me. I only ask because, clearly the HR braces are stronger than the stock braces. And clearly they are lighter than the GKA Braces. If the strength of something is sufficient and it's lighter, and looks cool (to me anyway), does that mean it is not as good a part as something that is stronger and heavier? If that answer is yes, then I may as well go get a 1 inch steel bar, and run it tower to tower. Sure it'll weigh the car down, but it'll take a lickin.

I don't want to sound like I'm flying the Flag for Hot Racing, but considering the # of Kraton parts and Team Asscparts I have from them, they should send me a Flag to fly. None of which has failed. Not to say they won't in the future.

GKA has provided excellent customer service and communication with me on my order. We ran into some issues with Canada Post, but that has been solved. Greg was on top of it as soon as I told him I had not received it yet. Awesome company, and service.

Sorry, but it just sounds like you have an ax to grind.
I never said the hot racing braces would fail and i hope they don't for those that have purchased them. Facts are they use an inferior aluminum and when people cut corners typically the consumer takes the hit. When 3 different items failed on me in a short period of time because they use a softer aluminum then why would i continue to buy products by hot racing that uses a metal known to fail? The weight difference between HR and gka is such a fraction of a difference that comparing it to barstock is kind of ridiculous. If your looking to shed a half a gram then buy HR. Is hot racing braces stronger than the factory braces? Probably.. Are gka braces stronger? Without a doubt. Plus if your deciding between the 2 the gka braces are cheaper and not made overseas. This thread is intended to inform people of a classic difference but 2 different qualities in product.

Buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I never said the hot racing braces would fail and i hope they don't for those that have purchased them. Facts are they use an inferior aluminum and when people cut corners typically the consumer takes the hit. When 3 different items failed on me in a short period of time because they use a softer aluminum then why would i continue to buy products by hot racing that uses a metal known to fail? The weight difference between HR and gka is such a fraction of a difference that comparing it to barstock is kind of ridiculous. If your looking to shed a half a gram then buy HR. Is hot racing braces stronger than the factory braces? Probably.. Are gka braces stronger? Without a doubt. Plus if your deciding between the 2 the gka braces are cheaper and not made overseas. This thread is intended to inform people of a classic difference but 2 different qualities in product.
Just for arguments sake, can you let us
know what HR products you have had a bad experience with?
I just purchased their aluminum diff mount...and was considering the front and rear hubs & axle carriers.
They seem like they are crafted pretty well.
So what kind of failures did you have for the HR products you've bought?
For the record I am using GKA braces and servo mount...

Typhon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Just for arguments sake, can you let us
know what HR products you have had a bad experience with?
I just purchased their aluminum diff mount...and was considering the front and rear hubs & axle carriers.
They seem like they are crafted pretty well.
So what kind of failures did you have for the HR products you've bought?
For the record I am using GKA braces and servo mount...
Ill try my best to supply pics tomorrow. But my failures were all for my 1/10 axial yeti:
  1. Front and rear aluminum wheel hubs. The axle pins were shearing in them because the soft aluminum kept wallowing out. Not caused by loose wheel nuts.
  2. Aluminum rear ar60 diff cover. Bottom lip would bend upwards anytime id crawl over anything allowing dirt to freely enter my diff.
  3. Steering linkage assembly. Carbon fiber arm with metal posts. Post scratched super easy which made it an utter pain to remove/install bearings. Also the carbon fiber is starting to peel.
  4. I bought serrated wheel nuts as well and the serrated backs were gone after only a few takeoffs.
If it wasnt 11:15 and my toolbox being stored on a shelf id show you some pics

Buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ill try my best to supply pics tomorrow. But my failures were all for my 1/10 axial yeti:
  1. Front and rear aluminum wheel hubs. The axle pins were shearing in them because the soft aluminum kept wallowing out. Not caused by loose wheel nuts.
  2. Aluminum rear ar60 diff cover. Bottom lip would bend upwards anytime id crawl over anything allowing dirt to freely enter my diff.
  3. Steering linkage assembly. Carbon fiber arm with metal posts. Post scratched super easy which made it an utter pain to remove/install bearings. Also the carbon fiber is starting to peel.
  4. I bought serrated wheel nuts as well and the serrated backs were gone after only a few takeoffs.
If it wasnt 11:15 and my toolbox being stored on a shelf id show you some pics
Yikes.
Ok well I understand your disdain...seems your point is well justified given the performance - or relative lack thereof of the products noted.

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's

Right on, I totally understand you not wanting to use anything from HR again. I hope I have better luck than you did, as HR has gotten a good piece of my RC budget for the last couple months.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s
I hope I have better luck than you did, as HR has gotten a good piece of my RC budget for the last couple months.
Well the nice thing is we now have options. I can remember not that long ago where the only "hop-up" options available was the famous red aluminum parts directly from Arrma that never seemed to come around. Now we have GKA, Voltage Hobbies, HR, RPM, STRC, T-Bone Racing and others all making parts for the Arrma product line!

Just goes to show how popular Arrma-RC has become.

Typhon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Well the nice thing is we now have options. I can remember not that long ago where the only "hop-up" options available was the famous red aluminum parts directly from Arrma that never seemed to come around. Now we have GKA, Voltage Hobbies, HR, RPM, STRC, T-Bone Racing and others all making parts for the Arrma product line!

Just goes to show how popular Arrma-RC has become.
Very valid point you made there. I love having options. It allows all of to use our creative minds and makes building an rc rather fun. We can express our likes/dislikes as we please.

Right on, I totally understand you not wanting to use anything from HR again. I hope I have better luck than you did, as HR has gotten a good piece of my RC budget for the last couple months.
Im sure hot racing has produced some good parts and i hope they work out well for you. Every manufacture eventually makes a dud. Unfortunately i suffered from several back to back. I guess the guy is right when he said i have an axe to grind with them. Everytime i try to cheap out i end up getting burned. Shouldve listened to my grandpa when he used to tell me "you can buy once or you'll end buying twice"

Jestone1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock
I received my HR springs today and did a quick bash. They perform as promised, but yeah theyre just springs. My hot racing nero wheeliebar is a 40 euro waste of money POS tho. Bends if you look at it for too long, and took me half an hour to find a wheel that came off during the first run. But their products look good guess that's what's drawing people, I can understand your warning.

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Bummer on that wheelie bar. I put that part in the same bucket as the aluminum wing mount. I think those 2 parts are only for street bound cars. That thing was going to bend on the first bad landing. While that wing mount looks really cool, there is no place for it on my ride. I didn't even know they sold springs, as they don't seem to have any for my cars.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I'm not sure it really matters which aluminum is used in these applications. Sure, 7075 is superior in most ways but that does not mean that 6061 is not strong.

General Mechanical Properties of 6061 Aluminum (T651 Bare)
Tensile Strength – 45,000 psi
Yield Point – 40,000 psi
Brinell Hardness – 95
Elongation at Break – 12%
Shear Strength – 31,000 psi
Thermal Conductivity – 170 W/m-K
Strength to Weight Ratio: 115 kN-m/kg
6061 Aluminum Alloy Applications
6061 aluminum is highly versatile and can be used for almost any structural component. Commercial and personal use vehicles utilize 6061 for truck frames and running boards, infrastructural uses include mass transit and subway platforms, steps, flooring, walkways and cover plates, and consumer products such as bicycle frames and components, SCUBA tanks, fishing reels and small utility boats all benefit from the increased weldable nature and its ability to undergo hot forging.

If your rc buggy takes a hit hard enough to snap or bend a HR 6061 brace......you are going to have much bigger problems than just the broken brace imo. Your car will probably be in multiple pieces with the chassis bent at a 90 degree angle. Look at the tensile, yield, and shear strength of 6061. We are talking about a massive amount of energy needed to cause it to fail. Look at the yield point.....40,000 psi.

I'm not saying that 6061 is better than 7075. In fact, I'd rather have 7075 because I want the best. My point is I believe the 6061 aluminum that HR uses in their braces is way more than sufficient to do its intended job and certainly orders of magnitude stronger than the stock plastic braces. Other parts of the car will fail long before the 6061 braces do.

Now tell me again Greg how I can order some of the new braces and servo mount from you. :) Do you still have a USA distributor?

Last edited:

jk420

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite,
Just asked the same question in an email and he don't have one.

Typhon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I'm not sure it really matters which aluminum is used in these applications. Sure, 7075 is superior in most ways but that does not mean that 6061 is not strong.

General Mechanical Properties of 6061 Aluminum (T651 Bare)uh8500
Yield Point – 40,000 psi
Brinell Hardness – 95
6061 aluminum is highly versatile and can be used for almost any structural component. Commercial and personal use vehicles utilize 6061 for truck frames and running boards, infrastructural uses include mass transit and subway platforms, steps, flooring, walkways and cover plates, and consumer products such as bicycle frames and components, SCUBA tanks, fishing reels and small utility boats all benefit from the increased weldable nature and its ability to undergo hot forging.

If your rc buggy takes a hit hard enough to snap or bend a HR 6061 brace......you are going to have much bigger problems than just the broken brace imo. Your car will probably be in multiple pieces with the chassis bent at a 90 degree angle. Look at the tensile, yield, and shear strength of 6061. We are talking about a massive amount of energy needed to cause it to fail. Look at the yield point.....40,000 psi.

I'm not saying that 6061 is better than 7075. In fact, I'd rather have 7075 because I want the best. My point is I believe the 6061 aluminum that HR uses in their braces is way more than sufficient to do its intended job and certainly orders of magnitude stronger than the stock plastic braces. Other parts of the car will fail long before the 6061 braces do.

Now tell me again Greg how I can order some of the new braces and servo mount from you. :) Do you still have a USA distributor?

General Mechanical Properties of 6061 Aluminum (T651 Bare)
Yield Point – 40,000 psi
Brinell Hardness – 95

Saying other items will fail first could very well be true. 6061 HR braces would definitely be stronger than the stock plastic pieces as well. On another note those specs are conducted on probably a piece of barstock. What that gauge metal is i do not know. When you have finely machined smaller r/c parts those numbers are put to the test. For reference a 9lb (typhon) cruising at 60mph will have over 1,000 ft lbs of kinectic energy in a crash and depending on where that energy is transfered could mean disaster. Subway platforms, pick boards, bicycle frames, etc made out of 6061 is because of cost primarily. Most metals at thicker gauges are generally strong enough to serve a purpose. Thin that metal down and edges break or crack, threads will fail, and metal starts to bend easier. If hot racing braces were cheaper than gka by a sizable amount then absolutely go for it but if you have the choice between HR and GKA for the same money then its a no brainer to buy the better product.

Last edited:

Bigfella

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Points well taken. Another thing to consider is that both HR and GKA braces are connected to plastic at the top rear brace and the front brace top connection is into aluminum which is connected to plastic . That is the true weak point. Any aluminum brace will probably rip the screw through the plastic well before they themselves fail. This is especially true in the rear where it is connected essentially to the rear wing mount. We all know how that thing can go boom.....lol. I think adding a center brace from tower to tower is probably a much better way to strengthen the chassis even if you leave the stock braces on.

I would love to see a custom center brace from GKA.

Last edited:

antigacho

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I just receive the GKA braces for Kraton. Also the servo mount.
But I'm having problems installing the back chassis brace
The pin is stuck I cant mount it or take it off.
I think I have to use drill to make that hole a little bit bigger

Attachments

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.