Going into lipo questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justatree

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
Do you need to discharge the lipo before you charge it up again?

Ex. For a 5000 mah lipo do you charge it at 5 amps or lower?

Any other tips about lipo care?

I got a lipo bag btw

No, don't discharge Lipos. Unlike Nicad or Nimh, if you discharge a lipo too much, you can permanently damage the cell.

Best charge rate is "1c" - C= capacity in amp-hours. 5000mah = 5ah, so charge at 5 amps.

IMG_20160514_110322.jpg

Charging my first 2 LiPo's! Woop sadly now I need one for my fury haha, these are for the Yeti XL.

I ordered those lipo "lunch bags" LOL (fire proof) from hobbyking for $3 each, plus $7 shipping to me, was a steal

Can i keep the lipos outside of the house
Maybe on a flower pot with cover on it?
I don't want to keep it inside the house
The smoke will destroyed what ever i have inside the house
Incase of fire

Well, you obviously need to keep them dry. And being hot accelerates their decay so it should be a somewhat cool place that gets full shade. These two make outside storage tricky. I wouldn't be too worried about a fire during storage. Certainly be prepared for one but don't loose sleep over it. Charging and use are the two scenarios with any real risk and it is pretty easy to do that outside.

I've seen people charge outside in an old bbq grill. I guess that could work for storage too given you kept it out of the sun. That is really important, direct sun can get them hot enough to puff and possibly even combust (even if you don't live in paradise ;)).

544fc96bc51f0_one-touch-original-22.png

Im afraid of the smoke ruining things inside my house incase of fire
Plus i have smoke detector connected to my house alarm hahahha

I saw Jang put his lipos into his fridge lol
to stop the lipo battery from deteriorating as fast

Lipo batteries will only catch fire when:
  • being charged (and the unlikely case things go horribly wrong with too high currents and/or too high voltage)
  • being discharged in a wrong way (inside your RC for example)
  • getting seriously hot
  • punctured, or seriously damaged
  • short circuited
When just stored dry and not in a place where heat is, basically nothing can go wrong.

Nevertheless it is advisable to store in a fireproof lipobag, just in case anything goes wrong. Or an ammo box like Woodie has...difficult to get in Europe though...

Well, you obviously need to keep them dry. And being hot accelerates their decay so it should be a somewhat cool place that gets full shade. These two make outside storage tricky. I wouldn't be too worried about a fire during storage. Certainly be prepared for one but don't loose sleep over it. Charging and use are the two scenarios with any real risk and it is pretty easy to do that outside.
I keep mine in the wine fridge, temp at a steady 52 degrees, between the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Pinot Noir.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back