Big Rock Going through front skid plates faster than a fat kid after an ice cream truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uz3r

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hi All - I've gone through two front skid plates after only half dozen or so bashes. The skid plates are getting chewed up big time but most significantly, the fixing screws underneath keep getting pulled through the plate itself. Im not a hardcore basher, the most 'hardcore' bash I've done is two runs where I've done dirt jumps that maybe give me 3 - 4 feet of air.

Is this normal? Do others have this problem? How do you guys deal with it? I know they arent overly expensive parts but I also hope we arent expected to replace them every 3 or 4 runs? I see some people go for T-Bone alternatives but I see a lot of people have trouble with them too.

Skip the TBR bumper. The screws pull thru that like a hot knife in butter. My stock ones last a long time. Sure they don’t look new anymore but they have held up.
Try M2C or Voltage Hobbies skid plates.
They don’t make parts for the BRCC that I know of

Skip the TBR bumper. The screws pull thru that like a hot knife in butter. My stock ones last a long time. Sure they don’t look new anymore but they have held up.

They don’t make parts for the BRCC that I know of
Oops I missed that part. My bad.

On BRCC, do you have extended axles, 17mm hubs? Bigger tires and wider stance can solve lots imo. I've not run skids on my 1:10 big rock. 18t pinion and I like it with badlands 2.8 and 50wt shocks. I just bash it and its pretty strong across th board ?.

Not normal.

Maybe the oil in the front shocks leaked? So the landings are much harsher than it should. or are you doing a lot of crashes on the front bumper maybe?

I have definitely had a couple of nose stacks! :LOL: But yes, I have started noticing some oil leaking from the shocks. Maybe I need to address this first.

Not normal.

Maybe the oil in the front shocks leaked? So the landings are much harsher than it should. or are you doing a lot of crashes on the front bumper maybe?

This is my thoughts as well.. suspension.. I'm sure the shocks are low on oil.. I would address that first... I personally like 80wt in my 3s shocks.. wouldnt hurt to add a preload spacer as well...

This is my thoughts as well.. suspension.. I'm sure the shocks are low on oil.. I would address that first... I personally like 80wt in my 3s shocks.. wouldnt hurt to add a preload spacer as well...

Wow 80wt is huge compared to stock! I would have thought that would cause issues with the stock shock setup? Adding a pre-load spacer is easy - maybe I'll consider doing that too.

On BRCC, do you have extended axles, 17mm hubs? Bigger tires and wider stance can solve lots imo. I've not run skids on my 1:10 big rock. 18t pinion and I like it with badlands 2.8 and 50wt shocks. I just bash it and its pretty strong across th board ?.
Do you have a BRCC sized hole in that fence yet? ???
No issues at all.. the stock piston hole configuration and size works well with 80wt..
I just got 3 bottles of 80W last night and am doing both my 4S rigs tonight. I have Typhon 6s shocks on both and they are way too soft for my liking. Hoping the 80W gives a little more resistance on the way down.

Do you have a BRCC sized hole in that fence yet? ???

I just got 3 bottles of 80W last night and am doing both my 4S rigs tonight. I have Typhon 6s shocks on both and they are way too soft for my liking. Hoping the 80W gives a little more resistance on the way down.

Your gonna like the 80wt sir

I go through skid plates fast at my skate park. The concrete is rough. So I make little steel wear plates and use 2-3mm longer screws on the trucks I frequent there. I have them on all 3 of my revos (2 3.3's and the 2.0 brushless), stampede 4x4 and outcast.

2019-0205-Stampede-RearWearPlate.jpg

Not sure how thick the stuff is I use, but I countersink the screw holes and bevel the leading edge so it doesn't catch anything. They usually last me a year of bashing, then I make new ones.

I put 2 on the front of my outcast vs one big heavy plate:
2018-0915-Outcast-ChassisSkidProtectors-2onFront.jpg

I really only needed one on the front for wear purposes, but I was ripping the screws through the RPM skid/bumper, so I made another one to prevent that.

I managed to break the front skid plate in two parts in less than 10 minutes, out of the box, so without leaking shock absorbers. With only one bad landing, not so bad compared to many other bad landings i did with many other cars, but too much on the front end. I saw some youtube videos with the same breakage than me. It was on pavement for me.

I put the TBR front bumper and it is way more strong than the stock too thin skid plate. Yes, the part which hold the a-arm hinge pin brace in place is too weak. But i put two screws to hold the hinge pins brace and hammered little bit each hole (those for the hinge pins) to avoid them to go out. This works so far.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back