Gonna start building a beast Rich would be proud of!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****UPDATE!!!*****
Installed Hobbywing 1650kv 4985 Motor?! Give this heavy pig some grunt. Was running the stock motor for a few weeks. But, the constant worry, and temp checking had me worried for not just the BLX motor, but my new esc as well. Running a 20t pinion, haven't done much but test that the mesh is right. Will try to update on temps, and more than likely coming up with a clean fan/heatsink solution, as research concluded that Hobbywing doesn't have one.
20191011_115239-01.jpeg
20191011_115353-01.jpeg
20191011_122409-01.jpeg

The perspective warp on the install photo was Snapseed, I'll get a proper one as I want to get nice photos when she's clean.?

Next up, I got the tekno 'revised' shock ends & perches I'll be installing. It never ends?, but I love it ??.

Went with a tekno 21t pinion. Talk about balls out fast, responsive, smooth, and oh so sweet! ?
20191011_122409-01.jpeg

Then saw this really thick, rigid, Vanquish servo horn at the lhs. This, combined with an Ae servo link rod end kit (it has the perfect ball spacer to fill the gap, yet keep the screw from twisting. ?
IMG_20191014_211013-01.jpeg

20191014_213329.jpg

****UPDATE!!!*****
Installed Hobbywing 1650kv 4985 Motor?! Give this heavy pig some grunt. Was running the stock motor for a few weeks. But, the constant worry, and temp checking had me worried for not just the BLX motor, but my new esc as well. Running a 20t pinion, haven't done much but test that the mesh is right. Will try to update on temps, and more than likely coming up with a clean fan/heatsink solution, as research concluded that Hobbywing doesn't have one.
View attachment 50587View attachment 50588View attachment 50589

The perspective warp on the install photo was Snapseed, I'll get a proper one as I want to get nice photos when she's clean.?

Next up, I got the tekno 'revised' shock ends & perches I'll be installing. It never ends?, but I love it ??.
I'm looking at motor and esc upgrades as well! I've added more weight and would like to compensate for it. Up for recommendations.
Rear clip done, gotta take my daughter to a doctors appointment, and see my Mom in the hospital, so they'll be an intermission
View attachment 46890
Wishing you the best for your family brother!

Yes, yet another Crewchief update!?

Got new hubs, and driveshafts from Jenny's today, so I swapped the rear to CVDs, and replaced all the driveshafts.
20191018_140917.jpg

20191018_140926.jpg

Didn't realize how worn my hubs were until I got these. If it's been awhile since swapping hubs & shafts I recommend getting a set from Jenny's. For the cost of a set of rear dogbones I got all new shafts, hubs, cross pins, and pre-threadlocked set screws. Taking apart my old hubs showed how much corrosion can build on those pins.

I did a bearing clean on the Fast Eddy bearings as well. Don't put all your faith into them being "sealed". One of my rear small hub bearings was almost seized completely. I only did the rear today, I'll get to the front sometime this week. ?

Also got a $2 piece of vinyl from Michael's and made my own chassis protector in my signature color. ?

Another update ? It never ends?

Installed a Hobbywing C5 cooling fan/heatsink on the 4985 motor. It is too small at first, but a little He-Man action pulling apart the heatsink with vise grips and forcing it down the motor and it's really on there. No sliding around. I heard others using a vise to spread it, wouldn't recommend that, cause if you spread it too far it won't be tight, causing it to slip & also it won't transfer heat without a good tight bond.?
20191102_091505.jpg

Also installed a PWM switch in the 3rd channel of my reciever, hooked to a Y-harness (heavy duty, high amperage) that controls my fans from the radio. This is so I can stop the fans before sending it, in hopes of preventing more breakage. Also I had a hard time getting my hands on a Max6 35x35x10mm fan, so I popped the blades out of a new 30x30x10mm fan I got on Amazon & put them on the 35x35mm housing. Slightly less cooling, but the shorter blades might be less prone to flexing & breaking. My lhs owner has an original Max6 fan on special order from Hobbywing for me, so this will do for now. You can see the operation demo in this quick clip

One last mod is since installing the heatsink I no longer have room for my center tower. So I took the foam from my reciever box my futaba R304 came in, and cut off a couple of squares. Glued them with CA to the esc XT90 plug to help it from getting damaged during hard hits. My center tower used to support the power leads, so without the center tower I needed a solution.
20191102_091528.jpg

Next will be some m2c hinge blocks & pins.??

Stop! Servo time.?

Ditching cheap servos forever, they'll be used in my Son's ecx amp mt basher, or his Revo if he needs servos. I got a Savox 1211sg waterproof servo!? Now most everybody here knows of the legendary 1210sg, but I never see many mention the 1211sg (which is pretty much a 2274 in a waterproof case). I liked the specs more on the 1211, 0.08s speed, 25kg of torque (347 in/lbs.) @ 7.4V. The 10A BEC of the Max6 should be enough, but as a backup I decided to throw in a ProTek glitch buster I had laying around just in case. ?
20191109_140310.jpg

20191110_104926.jpg

So far she is oh so sweet, and really proved that cheap servos are far from their ratings. I wanted a WP HV servo, so I can just hose down my rig & not worry about shorting out my all new electronics.??

How much..$$$$..??
Same as the 1210sg. Looks to be the same servo, just different gearing for more speed/less torque.
https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsw1210sg-waterproof-coreless-digital
https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsw1211sg-waterproof-coreless-digital

Something I just noticed... the 1210sg replacement gear set comes with an o-ring for the output shaft. When I had my 1210sg apart, there wasn't an o-ring in there.
https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsgsw1210sg-servo-gear-set-with-bearings

Another update, not by choice however, as my new 1211sg was a dud out the box?? Not a design flaw, a QC flaw for sure.

Anyways I installed this!
20191127_142012.jpg

Also made a quick preliminary vid as the speed of this bad boy doesn't seem impressive on paper, but in practice is amazing??

I have never felt a servo with so much grunt. Even with power off it is hard to turn against that motor.

Took the 2292sg Savox out as I got my 1211sg back from Savox. With the winter I figured having an "offical" waterproof servo wouldn't hurt. But I did take MG conformal coating and waterproofed my 2292, reciever, fans, and the back of the jst Y-Harness running the fans.

Took the 2292sg Savox out as I got my 1211sg back from Savox. With the winter I figured having an "offical" waterproof servo wouldn't hurt. But I did take MG conformal coating and waterproofed my 2292, reciever, fans, and the back of the jst Y-Harness running the fans.
If the 1211sg is like the 1210sg, there isn't an o-ring inside the case on the output shaft. Pretty sure the board is conformal coated, but IMHO, calling a servo "waterproof" without an o-ring on the output shaft is sketchy at best. While the board may be conformal coated, the one place water will go is right through the motor, which will eventually damage the bushings and comms if it's not brushless.

Just a heads up the max6 fan is the same blx185 fan. Just get the arrma version as it is cheaper and the exact same as they both are a hobbywing product. Also cut some fuel tubing to put in between the fan and heatsink on both esc and motor fan to absorb vibration.

Next will be some m2c hinge blocks & pins.??
[/QUOTE]
M2C hinge pins and blocks....wait what??? ??

Sweet build @Crewchief227 (y) Looks like a beast
Thanks, and yes she is, with constant improvements?. Like I added 6.5mm Castle bullets inline the main power leads. Then with "Wet Noodle" 12ga. wire I made two different harnesses that plug into the bullets, one with a single Xt90, and another with two XT90s in series so I can run with a single or dual pack setup.
20200119_150316.jpg

The bright yellow shrink tubing on the hot lead is a little "CAUTION" sign for me to pay attention.?

Then put on a 24t pinion, and watching temps to see how she does.?
20200119_150325.jpg

Oh and as she currently sits configured here is my calculation for "theoretical" power/speed on 8S?
SmartSelect_20200119-150450_Chrome.jpg

****UPDATE!!!*****
View attachment 50587View attachment 50588View attachment 50589

Are you running 6S - are you getting any cogging?
I have the same set up in my Kraton, even same savöx monster servo. But when I pin the throttle I’m getting serious response delay... I read on Hobbywing website the Max6 at 6s is rated for motors <1500kv. The 4895 is 1650kv - would this cause it? Thinking of switching to the 5687..
60011E85-B779-4AAA-9B83-3C8C93F023C0.jpeg
FD1A8C5F-77F3-42F7-8774-1B1C9784C499.jpeg
4514A8EA-FD70-4040-B463-63AFD96B71DE.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back