Good deal on 1500W 60A 30V Power Supply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
195 is more than what I paid for my 1400 watt dual charger. I paid 85 for a 1025 watt 85 amp power supply on Ebay that works just fine. Has more than enough power, even for my 6000mah 6s packs at a 2c charge rate.

Huh?

You have a self powered 1400 watt dual channel charger? What is it? How many amps?

6mah @ 2c is only 12amp. No biggie.

Exactly- we aren't talking about the same thing at all.

Im just saying that hyperion power supply you posted is over priced at 195.00 usd. Just my opinion.

Show me another power supply that matches those specs, in a professional package with adjust-ability and a display for less. I'll wait.

Can a converted computer power supply run a charger? Sure.

Is it the same thing? No.

Show me another power supply that matches those specs, in a professional package with adjust-ability and a display for less. I'll wait.

Can a converted computer power supply run a charger? Sure.

Is it the same thing? No.
When you titled your thread "good deal on a power supply" I wasnt expecting 195.00 dollars.

I’m a total noob when it comes to this stuff does that actually charge the batteries or do you need to plug a charger into that?

When you titled your thread "good deal on a power supply" I wasnt expecting 195.00 dollars.

It is a good deal. I didn't say cheap deal. Just like there is a difference in the meaning of the words fast and quick.

I'd happily pay $95,000 for a new Porsche Targa. That would be a great deal. Still not cheap.

The nice part about that power supply over a server PSU (and it does appear to be just a power supply, not a complete charger, which is fine) is that it does 30v. Most of the 1000w-class chargers I’ve seen require 30v-32v to reach that maximum rating. Realistically, they are limited to 30-40A, so you need to run at the top of their allowed input voltage to hit the max power they claim to support. You can get a 60A @ 12v server PSU much cheaper, but the DC Charger is probably going to stop at 30-40A on the input, which will only be 360w-480w.

You can get a simple 30v, 50A power supply for a little less (Like this one), but having the connectors already attached and a little display is convenient. I don’t think I care if the voltage is adjustable, since I see no reason why I would ever want to run the thing at less than 30v for charging RC batteries. Also, under $200 is still a decent price for a 30v, 1500w unit assuming it isn’t a piece of junk.
I’m a total noob when it comes to this stuff does that actually charge the batteries or do you need to plug a charger into that?

No, you still need a charger. There are some RC battery chargers that require DC power instead of plugging directly into the wall, but they support much higher power outputs at lower cost than integrated chargers. iSDT and iCharger are two popular brands with these types of products. One of the reasons they are popular is that you can use scavenged computer power supplies, which can be purchased pretty cheap or pulled for no extra cost out of an old PC, to power them. It can be a cost-effective way to get yourself a 300w-400w charging system.

However, some of these things advertise that they will do large power numbers like 1000w or 1500w. While true, that only works if the input voltage is much higher than the 12v you will get out of most computer power supplies. So RC folks tend to be on the lookout for cheap 24v-30v power supplies with 30A+. Those will get you a lot closer to those big, nameplate numbers...assuming you want to shove that much power into a battery at once, or you are parallel charging a bunch of batteries.

Last edited:

Household power is 120v AC. There is only so much power that a charger can make with that (not much).

A good charger needs at least 12v DC to put out more power, but most don't put out their advertised power until hooked up to at least 18v, many 24v DC, some 36v.

Then factor in how much wattage and amperage you want/need.

For example- the guy who posted above has a charger capable of 1400W and 60 amps. (both channels running maxed out)

If he wanted to hit the full spec his charger is rated at he would not be able to because his power supply is only 1025w.

So it specs well for wattage, but not enough to fully run his charger. Specs well for amperage- but is only 12.4V which cripples most chargers abilities if you want a lot of performance.

Some charger companies list output at various input voltages but many don't.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...R-C-chargers-are-in-stock-and-ready-to-ship!!

What are people charging that they need a 1400W PSU and then a charger on top ? I'm genuinely curious..

My dual channel skyrc 400W charger plugs into the mains and handles my 2 x 6s lipos without any hassle so whatever they're doing is well beyond my requirements.

My dual channel skyrc 400W charger plugs into the mains and handles my 2 x 6s lipos without any hassle

I took a quick glance at your charger spec- it will only do 6S LiPo: 8.5A What size are your batteries and what amp are you charging them at on mains.

A big power supply allows big batteries to charge quickly. Lots of batteries. Multiple chargers. etc.

I have two 7400 6s batteries for my Notorious. I haven't decided what size batteries I am going to buy for my Typhon, but they will also be 6S.

I have a brother in law with an Outcast on 6S and he has 2 kids with RC- one on 4S and one on 3S.

If they come over and bring their charger or if I go to them I can bring my power supply and we can run my charger and his.

I charge a 5000mah 6s and a 4500mah 6s together at 1C. From what I've read that's a 'safe' rate to charge them at. I'm sure I could charge them faster but what I'm doing is quick enough for my needs.

Thanks for the info. I get how running a couple of chargers from a single PSU to charge more batteries at the same time could be useful to some people.

The flight guys charge dozens of batteries at a time, when you are parallel charging 30 batteries at the same time you need a lot of power and it's more cost effective to buy a big power supply and a big charger than to buy a bunch of smaller power supplies and chargers.

Let’s look at some fun numbers!

- a 6S, 5000mah battery charging at 1C (5A), should peak at drawing around 126w, or 5A @ 25.2v. In reality, it will draw more thanks to conversion losses and other stuff.
- at 12v, it takes 10.5A to deliver 126W of power
- let’s pretend you have a “200w Charger” that needs 24v input to hit that max rating, that would mean the charger maxes out at 8.3A of input current.

In this situation, your 200w charger could not deliver even the 126w needed at peak to charge the battery if it is being supplied by a 12v computer power supply. The most it could do would be 100w. This sort of math is how a 1000w DC Charger can end up not as crazy as it sounds!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back