Good Lord these 3.8 trenchers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Raider
  3. Senton 6s
  4. 4x4-Mega
Just a quick size comparison before I fit these babies on my kraton. Might even swap em on my outcast here and there

May be a good idea to wrap them with kevlar if your running 6S.

I ran them on my outcast with 4S for 6 months or so, with a 15T pinion. If I ran in grass a lot on an 80F day, it would overheat. Otherwise it did ok.

Running 6S now with 14T and have them wrapped... may have to drop down to 13T if heat becomes an issue.
2019-0328-ProlineTrencher3.8-KevlarLine.jpg

They are my favorite tire for the kraton. Sadly it runs too hot with them. I'm running 14t pinion and it gets 185-200f pretty quick. Along with being a bigger diametr they weigh 1oz heavier per wheel.

They are my favorite tire for the kraton. Sadly it runs too hot with them. I'm running 14t pinion and it gets 185-200f pretty quick. Along with being a bigger diametr they weigh 1oz heavier per wheel.
And... now I'm sad. lol

Did you wrap them? Curious if the lack of ballooning matters with temps.

And... now I'm sad. lol

Did you wrap them? Curious if the lack of ballooning matters with temps.
No, I don't but maybe it would help. My kraton is 13lbs without the battery and I'm still running the blx system. So you may be just fine if you are a little lighter or are running bigger electrics.
I was running them today and I just love them. So much cushion and will backflip off of anything. Best to just try them out and take some temps.

I don't really plan on gearing up past 12t on the pinion especially with the speed it's rolling at currently if the over heating starts Kevlar string will be the first thing on my shopping list

I don't really plan on gearing up past 12t on the pinion especially with the speed it's rolling at currently if the over heating starts Kevlar string will be the first thing on my shopping list
The string is more for 6S wheel speed blowing tires apart. The proline trenchers are heavy and there's a lot of rubber. At the speed 6S can spin the tires, when doing backflips or whatever, thy have a high likelihood of shredding. That's the only reason I did it. With 4S, I didn't bother.

I'll find out soon enough if I have to gear down. Supposed to get up to 70F Saturday and I intend on taking it out. I'll have my 13T and 12T with me just in case. With the hot racing sliding mount, makes it pretty easy to swap out a pinion.

May be a good idea to wrap them with kevlar if your running 6S.

I ran them on my outcast with 4S for 6 months or so, with a 15T pinion. If I ran in grass a lot on an 80F day, it would overheat. Otherwise it did ok.

Running 6S now with 14T and have them wrapped... may have to drop down to 13T if heat becomes an issue.
2019-0328-ProlineTrencher3.8-KevlarLine.jpg
I just put some Trenchers on my Kraton as well. I like the Kevlar idea. I'll need to try that. Did you vent your tires?

The string is more for 6S wheel speed blowing tires apart. The proline trenchers are heavy and there's a lot of rubber. At the speed 6S can spin the tires, when doing backflips or whatever, thy have a high likelihood of shredding. That's the only reason I did it. With 4S, I didn't bother.

I'll find out soon enough if I have to gear down. Supposed to get up to 70F Saturday and I intend on taking it out. I'll have my 13T and 12T with me just in case. With the hot racing sliding mount, makes it pretty easy to swap out a pinion.

I need the hot racing mount for that reason. you can just swap pinion east when needed.

I need the hot racing mount for that reason. you can just swap pinion east when needed.
Yep. Made it take about 5 minutes to swap out the pinion yesterday. Pretty sure I was overheating with the 14T. The esc would apply brakes and not allow throttle/brake input and it's green LED would blink about once a second continuously. I'm not sure if that's LVC or overheating. Usually, with LVC the truck slows down, then eventually stops. But yesterday, it was just cruising along, then would apply brake.

After throwing in the 13T, I ran another set of fresh packs in the same area bashing the same way and ran about 15-20 minutes, then popped the front bone out of the cup so called it a day.

When I was looking for it... I cheaped out. Didn't feel like spending $20-$30 on a couple hundred feet "fishing line", so then I just searched for kevlar line and stuff for kite's came up. I figured it was 70lb, made of kevlar... 1000ft for $15, why not try it. I have run it for a few bash sessions so far, probably 10 pack cycles (~2.5 hours of run time) and it's holding up fine. Not frayed or anything. The trenchers have pretty deep channels, so it's fairly protected on those.

FYI, don't have a cat in the room when your doing the work though. Fought with my cat for an hour while wrapping the stupid tires. She really likes yellow string apparently!

She likes inspecting things on my workbench...
2017-0826-BitsieMechanic.jpg

When I was looking for it... I cheaped out. Didn't feel like spending $20-$30 on a couple hundred feet "fishing line", so then I just searched for kevlar line and stuff for kite's came up. I figured it was 70lb, made of kevlar... 1000ft for $15, why not try it.

She likes inspecting things on my workbench...
2017-0826-BitsieMechanic.jpg
The first is what working wives are for.
Nice kitty. Mine is so old now she can't be bothered with that stuff but when she was younger she would play fetch with me like a dog.

The wife's cat runs from me for some reason and we can neither figure out why. He will come around at feeding time and want attention then.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back