Good motor less likely to overheat with the MMX and MMv2 than the castle 2200kv on 6S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
What's a good motor that the MMX or MMv2 will drive that is less likely to overheat on 6S? I have a traxxas/castle 2200kv in one truck with a MMv2 (ERBEv2) and a castle 2200kv sensored in another (savage flux hp) with the MMX. I'm guessing 2200+ are really intended to be used with 4S systems. I don't know what 1800/2000kv motor's would be a good option to switch to.

It's not arrma, but figured I'd ask since so many guys here run alternate setups in their arrma 1/8th scales. Pretty sure if I asked at the traxxas forum, the thread would get locked within the hour.

I'll likely stick with what I have for the foreseeable future, but I'd like to look into what my options could be. I have a spare MMv1 and MMv2 as well to possibly use in my outcast if the blx185 doesn't hold up well for me. So far, it's doing ok as is the stock motor. Maybe I should just get another blx 2000kv and try it out with one of my other esc's? Or would going with an 1800kv motor be smarter?

Thanks.

I’m running the MMX/1515 2200kv on a heavy E-Revo 2.0 and as yet get two packs (well pairs) of 6S through it round a local dirt track without issues!

Assuming you confirmed it was the motor and not the ESC over heating?

Played around with gearing to get heat down?

I'm running stock gearing on the v2 revo (15/54) and way lower than stock gearing on the savage (16/48, stock 20/44).

On the ERBEv2 I was seeing the esc (via temp gun) at 150 and the motor at high 160's.

On the savage, the motor temps aren't that bad (low 150's), but the esc temps are up there, 180F for a good portion of the run (according to the log). Really, I think the stock savage gearing was intended for 4S use, but then again, they list a 25T pinion for speed runs... When I ran 21/44 in it, even on 4S, it would overheat near the end of the packs (22 minute run).

So I was thinking a lower kv motor might pull less amps which may help lessen the load on the esc and drop the heat some on both the motor and esc.

On the savage, I'm running 3.8 trenchers, so I know that adds some rotational mass as the stock tires, while large, were pretty light (terra pins).
On the ERBEv2, the tires I'm running are 50grams less than stock, not sure how the dimensions compare. Thunder Tiger MT4 tires/wheels. They are the same diameter as 3.8 trenchers, but aren't as wide and 30 grams lighter.

Hi, try using a longer can and lower kv.
Keep in mind lower kv doesn't always mean it will pull less amps.
look at sss 4082 1800kv or 2000kv.

What's a good motor that the MMX or MMv2 will drive that is less likely to overheat on 6S? I have a traxxas/castle 2200kv in one truck with a MMv2 (ERBEv2) and a castle 2200kv sensored in another (savage flux hp) with the MMX. I'm guessing 2200+ are really intended to be used with 4S systems. I don't know what 1800/2000kv motor's would be a good option to switch to.

It's not arrma, but figured I'd ask since so many guys here run alternate setups in their arrma 1/8th scales. Pretty sure if I asked at the traxxas forum, the thread would get locked within the hour.

I'll likely stick with what I have for the foreseeable future, but I'd like to look into what my options could be. I have a spare MMv1 and MMv2 as well to possibly use in my outcast if the blx185 doesn't hold up well for me. So far, it's doing ok as is the stock motor. Maybe I should just get another blx 2000kv and try it out with one of my other esc's? Or would going with an 1800kv motor be smarter?

Thanks.
Hi I’m not sure about castle on 6s. I’m running this Hobbywing max6 & 1650kv and the temps have been great on 6s.

ARRMA KRATON ? Hobbywing max6 & 1650KV install and Bash bonus footage of the V4 Kraton

Hi, try using a longer can and lower kv.
Keep in mind lower kv doesn't always mean it will pull less amps.
look at sss 4082 1800kv or 2000kv.
I kind of can't use a longer motor. It runs into stuff on the revo. May be a possibility on the savage though. I'll have to measure it and see what kind of room I have behind the motor now. Thanks for the info.
Hi I’m not sure about castle on 6s. I’m running this Hobbywing max6 & 1650kv and the temps have been great on 6s.

ARRMA KRATON ? Hobbywing max6 & 1650KV install and Bash bonus footage of the V4 Kraton
Considering I have primarily castle esc's, not likely to just drop them and go to hobbywing in my 1/8th's if I don't absolutely have to. Especially since I have a spare MM2 and MM1. I suppose I could sell them, but considering my motor size limitation in the revo, going with a big motor in that isn't possible. I don't have much room in the savage either as the motor hangs out the side of the TVP and is only 4-5mm or so from running into the TVP from the rear end cap.
2018-0404-SavageFlux-TVPHoleForMotor.jpg

So likely, the best I can do is lower kv but stick with 4076'ish motors.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back