Senton Good Short Course wheels and tires???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yak22

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hey guys
Im hoping for some suggestions on SC wheels and tires. I have been having nothing but problems with basically every wheel and tire combo Ive tried. I seem to bend a wheel or strip it out each time I take the truck out. It started with the stock wheels and tires. After a bash session, I noticed that two wheels were bent, and Horizon was nice enough to replace them under warranty. But that was going to get old, so I started buying various wheel/tire combos and still seem to bend or strip them every time I take the car out. Now I admit, I haven't bought a name brand set yet, Ive been relying on the cheap sets, so maybe its just time to buy a quality set. The only reason I haven't yet is because I run on a concrete and grass area and that seems to eat tires. But with the ongoing bent wheels, Im open to trying a better quality set.

Any suggestions? Hopefully on the less expensive side? I have the ability to run 12mm or 14mm hex wheels if that helps. Thanks a ton!

I've had good luck with the DE Racing wheels they are super durable and come in a variety of colors. But Idk if they make anything in a 14mm hex.
Duratrax makes some wheels and tires that have a 14mm hex.
Not sure if you have or not but going 17mm hex will allow you to run some of the Proline wheels and 1/8 buggy wheels.

A combo I'm wanting to try on my 3s Typhon is the DE Racing 1/8 buggy wheels and some proline badlands MX buggy tires.

These are the wheels.
http://www.deracing.net/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=267_283

And the tires https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-mx-m2-medium-all-terrain-1-8-buggy-tires.asp

What do you do that bend the wheels? large jumps?
Not compared to most of what I see others doing. :)
Pretty much just up and down curbs, and the occasional roll overs. Nothing that I feel should be as destructive as it is.
I've had good luck with the DE Racing wheels they are super durable and come in a variety of colors. But Idk if they make anything in a 14mm hex.
Not sure if you have or not but going 17mm hex will allow you to run some of the Proline wheels and 1/8 buggy wheels.

A combo I'm wanting to try on my 3s Typhon is the DE Racing 1/8 buggy wheels and some proline badlands MX buggy tires.

These are the wheels.
http://www.deracing.net/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=267_283

And the tires https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/badlands-mx-m2-medium-all-terrain-1-8-buggy-tires.asp

Thanks, yeah Ive dabbled with the 1/8 buggy wheels and they are an option, but to be honest, the width of them is lacking and I'd prefer to stay with Short Course wheels and tires if I can. I may not be able to, but I think there has to be something more durable than what Ive had thus far.

What do you do that bend the wheels? large jumps?
Nah those wheels that come with the Chinese wheel tire combos are for the most part trash. The tires are usually pretty good though. The foams can be hit or miss.
Not compared to most of what I see others doing. :)
Pretty much just up and down curbs, and the occasional roll overs. Nothing that I feel should be as destructive as it is.

Thanks, yeah Ive dabbled with the 1/8 buggy wheels and they are an option, but to be honest, the width of them is lacking and I'd prefer to stay with Short Course wheels and tires if I can. I may not be able to, but I think there has to be something more durable than what Ive had thus far.
The Hot Racing hex adapters add +10mm to each side https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF117XT02;c=1385

Or are you talking about the actual width of the tire itself? If so I understand about that.

Huh, I never damaged a wheel, except stripped hexes due to crappy wheel nuts. Stock ECX ones, ebay cheapos, AKA racing, all 12mm SC.
Anyway, Pro-Line should be a foolproof choice for tires and wheels. Duratrax/louise tires are good and cheap but I'm not a fan of their wheels.

Huh, I never damaged a wheel, except stripped hexes due to crappy wheel nuts. Stock ECX ones, ebay cheapos, AKA racing, all 12mm SC.
Anyway, Pro-Line should be a foolproof choice for tires and wheels. Duratrax/louise tires are good and cheap but I'm not a fan of their wheels.
I've broken like 4 sets of the cheap wheels over the years. The smaller sized ones the spokes break off, the larger ones bend or break at the hex.
I8lkMJF_zps0osicoiu.jpg
SS850076_zpsxpgfcld6.jpg
20171217_220103.jpg
FB_IMG_1512960624531.jpg

No i was referring to the stock ones, it's weird you managed to bend them from curb heights. I did tons and tons of small jumps (3 foot), much more than curb height, and i have no issues with the stock. Maybe go back to the stock ones? i think this first time was unusual.

No i was referring to the stock ones, it's weird you managed to bend them from curb heights. I did tons and tons of small jumps (3 foot), much more than curb height, and i have no issues with the stock. Maybe go back to the stock ones? i think this first time was unusual.
Oh yeah that is weird fo sho.

I've had good experiences with Proline Trenchers. Duratrax Lockups would be a good cheaper alternative.

The one time I tried a chinese set off ebay, 1 of the 4 wheels had a wobble out of the box (n)

Actually 3 of 8 of my OE senton wheels are bent or have a significant wobble. The rest have basically no tread left. Im not impressed with the stock wheels any more than I am with the cheapies.

I was thinking I might try some of the Duratrax, but why do all of the wheels have to be so darn ugly?
Has anyone used the Proline beadlock Slash wheels? They seem like an interesting alternative to gluing wheels/tires

Last edited:
Actually 3 of 8 of my OE senton wheels are bent or have a significant wobble. The rest have basically no tread left. Im not impressed with the stock wheels any more than I am with the cheapies.

I was thinking I might try some of the Duratrax, but why do all of the wheels have to be so darn ugly?
Has anyone used the Proline beadlock Slash wheels? They seem like an interesting alternative to gluing wheels/tires
I am right there with you. I tried a set of Duratrax 14mm ST wheels and they arent bad, but sit too wide for my liking. I'm now debating on going to 12mm or 17mm. Is there a benefit to either one, 12 vs 17?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XF8G738/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

OR

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015U3EM0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AAPKX66PNH2C7&psc=1

17mm > 12mm any day of the week. 12mm hexes tend to strip or strip the wheels a lot easier. The plastic ones strip and the aluminum ones strip the wheels. I believe that was part of the reason why Arrma went 14mm hex.

If you’re that hard on wheels, consider upgrading to 17mm hex’s and get some MT tires. I just got my Pro-Line Badlands today and they have super hella grip. The MT tires will soften the landings too. You will have to trim your body tho ??‍♂️

If you’re that hard on wheels, consider upgrading to 17mm hex’s and get some MT tires. I just got my Pro-Line Badlands today and they have super hella grip. The MT tires will soften the landings too. You will have to trim your body tho ??‍♂️
Hi mate super old post, but did you fit the 2.2 or 2.8 proline trenchers on your Senton? How did they drive on/off road and what mm hex did you get? ?

Just grab some of the senton 6s stock wheels while they’re available :) just dropped today some on eBay. I grabbed some just to have for the stock look. Got my senton on 4 felony rear hoons 53/117. Cause I’ve got a few sets :)

6FBEDA3A-B776-4C36-9C12-F2A271624341.jpeg

E0BEDA59-3959-4095-98F9-3BAA74A58ECB.png

Hey guys
Im hoping for some suggestions on SC wheels and tires. I have been having nothing but problems with basically every wheel and tire combo Ive tried. I seem to bend a wheel or strip it out each time I take the truck out. It started with the stock wheels and tires. After a bash session, I noticed that two wheels were bent, and Horizon was nice enough to replace them under warranty. But that was going to get old, so I started buying various wheel/tire combos and still seem to bend or strip them every time I take the car out. Now I admit, I haven't bought a name brand set yet, Ive been relying on the cheap sets, so maybe its just time to buy a quality set. The only reason I haven't yet is because I run on a concrete and grass area and that seems to eat tires. But with the ongoing bent wheels, Im open to trying a better quality set.

Any suggestions? Hopefully on the less expensive side? I have the ability to run 12mm or 14mm hex wheels if that helps. Thanks a ton!
My belted Trenchers seem to be holding up very well on concrete. As a bonus, I get awesome drifts on cold/wet asphalt. I used to think belted tires were a gimmicky sales pitch for more money but the difference is VERY visible. Zero ballooning. The Trencher thread isn't very aggressive so shouldn't wear too quick like Badlands would.
Hi mate super old post, but did you fit the 2.2 or 2.8 proline trenchers on your Senton? How did they drive on/off road and what mm hex did you get? ?

Attachments

• 20201124_003333.jpg
    20201124_003333.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 44

Those are good looking tires but damn pricey. $116!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back