Granite Good working Servo Saver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooTall

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Nero
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I posted this in a different thread but this is a common topic, so I thought I would create a dedicated thread too.

This Kimbrough #123 servo saver is the answer for the Mega's, I was constantly resetting my youngest son's SS when he would just bump anything while moving forward. I tried the heavy duty SS option in the kit you order from Arrma, but it was not any better, then I put this Kimbrough on and I haven't had any issue.

I tried that but i feel the the spring movement is sloppy when I turn hard and I lose some steering when I am running hard and try and turn. Feel like im getting only 20 to 30% of the steering I get when Im standing still or using the stock servo saver. It feel like you broke the servo and it wont turn tight enough and i had the spring inside pop out of the housing taking me a good 30 mins to get it back in there! What I did was put a spring on the stock servo saver and a screw so it tightens the saver up and you can adjust the tension of the saver much like the slipper clutch. I should have taken pics before I put it back in. No issues so far but will i break a servo?? I guess time will tell.

No way the stock servo is activating the spring in the kimbrough I have listed in this thread. I felt the same as you that while driving the wheels did not have the same turn radius as stopped or off the ground, so I replaced the servo with something better, and now it turns like a champ.

that little stock 5kg servo in them stock isn't powerful enough, especially with an upgrade brushless system in it.

TT

I have an upgraded servo with all metal gears with an 11.1kg ,.09 speed, I also has issues with the linkage connecting it to the wiper arm. its at a strange angle and had to reverse it. at first the nut kept getting caught on the hole at the bottom of the chassis, so I reversed it but it still felt funny. Maybe Im installing it incorrectly, i tried it arm on top, arm below. I tried to move it to flex the spring in the air but it wouldnt budge but while driving it just felt sloppy. on grass you can see the limit of the steering. Im running a 2S 17T SW4 castle 3800KV motor, stock internals with the exception of megastys input gear mod. The saver is offset so maybe im doing it incorrectly. Can you draw up how you installed yours?

Now that you mention it, right after I got the truck, I noticed the linkage joint (the one you take out the screw from the bottom of the truck) got caught on the opening, I used a dremel and opened up the hole, maybe that could be the issue for one direction. I know it took me a couple tries to get the arms in the right positions (above/below) before they didn't bind.

I put a kimbrough ss on i used the black one it works awsome bashed 2 3s packs no problem usually only get about 10 min or less and its time to fix. Great fix really makes it so much more fun to drive love this truck now even more

I put a kimbrough ss on i used the black one it works awsome bashed 2 3s packs no problem usually only get about 10 min or less and its time to fix. Great fix really makes it so much more fun to drive love this truck now even more
Which one did you use and how did you install it?
Pic if possible

I believe it was Kimbrough number 1 2 4 I just drilled out the upper middle hole mounted the steering arm on the bottom with a nut on the top and attached it like it should have been stock and everything worked out great and it's mounted to a high-torque all metal gear servo

I had issues right out of the box, my screw was getting caught on the chassis, I filed it down and it hasn't got caught since.

I'm running the cheap DS3218 20kg servo. It has no problems moving the front tires with stock servo saver. I cartwheeled once yesterday and I guess the saver had to pop, because the wheels were stuck right. When I turned it back left, it corrected and drove off fine. I do have the Kimbrough 124 to put on if I have more problems. I would have done it when I built the truck but wanted to try stock first.

The Kimbrough 124 I tried first had to be modified otherwise the corner of the SS hits the side of the box and maybe somethign else the toher direction if I remember right as that was what I tried first.

The 123 I used on my other Granite worked fine straight away.

Just got new one from tower It came with a Kimbrough servo saver already installed .
IMG_20180509_115617103.jpg

Just got new one from tower It came with a Kimbrough servo saver already installed .

My mega 4x4 came with that style of SS too. While I don't think it is a Kimbrough brand, it does work. Maybe a bit soft, but I've had no real issues. My stock ADS5 still lives, even after having to suffer thru turning the wheels with BLX185 power on them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back