GoPro 7 Black

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that won't give up easily.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Notorious
  6. Talion
  7. Typhon 6s
I absolutely love this new camera and got some footage today that made me very happy. I'm loose and spendy at times and thought I'd have the typical remorse but zero so far especially after just viewing files.

There is a fantastic deal on the classifieds section for a Hero 5 Black that I would recommend right away. No doubt a good forum member seller and huge value at $150. Can't get a refurb from GP for this low of a price and the thing is basically brand new!

If you may be thinking of making video, it's easier now more than ever. Once I got just slightly motivated, it works magic. When I thought that the footage (b-roll?) I was capturing was worthless, it ended up steller for me in my eyes.

So much fun to just put it out there and roll with it. I can't wait to share the stitches in time I've grabbed lately because I had so much fun and giant smiles making it. Enjoyed the hell out of watching and cleaning up the files I moved to my pc just now tonight. ????

1573706860003.png

I have a Hero 7 Black also and I agree it’s a superb camera!!!

I’m ok with computers but I hit a road block trying to upload my footage to my iMac ?. Apparently the GoPro compresses the files so tight you need a special program to unpack them? The ones I did manage to get in the Mac played back all gittery. Anyway I gave up for now and have a bunch of cool (some awesome) footage trapped in my GoPro.

What are you using to upload yours? I read somewhere if you upload straight to YouTube it unpacks it automatically. Not quite ready to start my own channel quite yet....

I’m ok with computers but I hit a road block trying to upload my footage to my iMac ?. Apparently the GoPro compresses the files so tight you need a special program to unpack them? The ones I did manage to get in the Mac played back all gittery. Anyway I gave up for now and have a bunch of cool (some awesome) footage trapped in my GoPro.

What are you using to upload yours? I read somewhere if you upload straight to YouTube it unpacks it automatically. Not quite ready to start my own channel quite yet....

Im on pc and use a cheap card reader / powered usb dongle or whatever. Take my sd card out of the cameras and then go in the reader on my pc. Popup allows me to just click and move to a folder on my pc and I rename there.
The files are still on the card when I eject because I read online that it's better to erase on the cam.
I then watched some of the files on my pc and renamed for 20 min.
Now back in and after reformat both cards in the camera, tomorrow I'm fresh and ready with a clean slate.

Im on pc and use a cheap card reader / powered usb dongle or whatever. Take my sd card out of the cameras and then go in the reader on my pc. Popup allows me to just click and move to a folder on my pc and I rename there.
The files are still on the card when I eject because I read online that it's better to erase on the cam.
Now back in and after reformat both cards in the camera, tomorrow I'm fresh and ready with a clean slate.
I can upload and watch them on the GoPro app just fine. But if I load all 6hrs of footage to my iPhone it will take all the memory ? was hoping you had a simple program on your computer. Preferably a Mac to load them on like iMovie or something. No sweat thanks anyway ??

i use imovie and it does all the work.. the only problem you have when editing is file size... you have to keep each clip real short... if you have 3-15min clips, it takes up all the memory you have on computer..i try to stop and start the go pro as much as possible to get 30 sec to 1 min clips... i had to get an imac because of this problem..

I can upload and watch them on the GoPro app just fine. But if I load all 6hrs of footage to my iPhone it will take all the memory ? was hoping you had a simple program on your computer. Preferably a Mac to load them on like iMovie or something. No sweat thanks anyway ??
If I'm not mistaking you should be able to connect the Gopro via the USB cable to your iMac and click the import button (upper left corner) in iMovie. Your Gopro should be listed in the side tab. I have a Hero 4 and it works with that one so it should also work with the newer versions.

I also use this method. Bought a 1 TG hard drive to store all the videos too. Keeps the computer clean and easy access. Only issue now, is I have about 60 hours of unedited footage. Will I ever find the time to go back and edit? Not likely. You need to do everything right away, or just start deleting the files. @bicketybam has it right. Never more than a few days between a shoot and an edit. Once more time than that has passed, get rid of it and on to the next one. Fyi, the Hero 7 does not like the cold. It was just terrible when I got out below freezing. Buttons don't work properly and it was constantly starting and stopping on it's own. The touch screen became almost unusable too. Too hard to use the app while I'm bashing, so the phone stays in my pocket. The best way is to have a helper, and that's not going to happen for most of us adults who are out playing with our remote control toys.

The issue you’re having with certain files is the codec HEVC or H.265 that GoPro uses on higher bitrate files. Usually this is on high frame rate or higher resolution recordings. Using this codec is very CPU intensive and you will need a modern CPU to work with these files. I built my PC with an i9-9900k to be able to handle 4K/60 video. If your computer isn’t at least a quad core i7 don’t even attempt to edit 4K at all. Record in 1080p and stay under 60fps.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

The issue you’re having with certain files is the codec HEVC or H.265 that GoPro uses on higher bitrate files. Usually this is on high frame rate or higher resolution recordings. Using this codec is very CPU intensive and you will need a modern CPU to work with these files. I built my PC with an i9-9900k to be able to handle 4K/60 video. If your computer isn’t at least a quad core i7 don’t even attempt to edit 4K at all. Record in 1080p and stay under 60fps.

Do all the newer GoPros record in H265 or is that a setting? I didn't know that. But that's good to know because I thought about getting a new one but my laptop doesn't like the HEVC/H265 files :D

Wow I hadn't even heard of i9 processors yet. My PC is in serious need of upgrading (i3 processor), but my money goes to the RC cars....

Do all the newer GoPros record in H265 or is that a setting? I didn't know that. But that's good to know because I thought about getting a new one but my laptop doesn't like the HEVC/H265 files :D
I have a Hero 6 Black and it had h.265 with the original firmware.

I have i5 4690k with 16g ram and a gtx980. Good enough but not when I have too many apps open. I'm gonna upgrade but prolly get a prebuilt because any time I have free has to go to truck upgrades and I'd rather have a warranty. I built the last one and didn't save as much $ as I thought I would.
I also use this method. Bought a 1 TG hard drive to store all the videos too. Keeps the computer clean and easy access. Only issue now, is I have about 60 hours of unedited footage. Will I ever find the time to go back and edit? Not likely. You need to do everything right away, or just start deleting the files. @bicketybam has it right. Never more than a few days between a shoot and an edit. Once more time than that has passed, get rid of it and on to the next one. Fyi, the Hero 7 does not like the cold. It was just terrible when I got out below freezing. Buttons don't work properly and it was constantly starting and stopping on it's own. The touch screen became almost unusable too. Too hard to use the app while I'm bashing, so the phone stays in my pocket. The best way is to have a helper, and that's not going to happen for most of us adults who are out playing with our remote control toys.

Gopro not wanting to perform in the cold is tough. Seems like a huge market to disappoint with so many winter sports enthusiasts.

Last edited:
I have i5 4690k with 16g ram and a gtx980. Good enough but not when I have too many apps open. I'm gonna upgrade but prolly get a prebuilt because any time I have free has to go to truck upgrades and I'd rather have a warranty. I built the last one and didn't save as much $ as I thought I would.

Gopro not wanting to perform in the cold is tough. Seems like a huge market to disappoint with so many winter sports enthusiasts.
Yep my Hero 6 Black stopped working the other day when I was trying to do a quick speed run. I have another case for it and I hope it helps keep it from the exposure and cold.

As for a prebuilt PC, if I would have tried to find a prebuilt to the same specs, it would have cost twice as much. A standard desktop wouldn’t have the same outcome. Run of the mill desktop PCs aren’t worth building these days. I just order up a Dell Optiplex Micro for my clients and save myself the headache. Same with servers, I just get a Dell PowerEdge to match their needs. I used to build everything myself. I’m over it.

Yep my Hero 6 Black stopped working the other day when I was trying to do a quick speed run. I have another case for it and I hope it helps keep it from the exposure and cold.

As for a prebuilt PC, if I would have tried to find a prebuilt to the same specs, it would have cost twice as much. A standard desktop wouldn’t have the same outcome. Run of the mill desktop PCs aren’t worth building these days. I just order up a Dell Optiplex Micro for my clients and save myself the headache. Same with servers, I just get a Dell PowerEdge to match their needs. I used to build everything myself. I’m over it.

@jondilly1974 this is what I'm looking at now and prebuilt for less than 1500 $ with 3years parts and labor warranty.
I never considered any processor besides Intel previously so it's a change for me but I do prefer NVidia only because I'm programmed so.
The stuff that look frivolous is free upgrades for the special they have on now like the overclocking service and liquid cooling.
All new to me lately with new parts. The 2060 could go to a "Super" for $50 more and may.

1573789139172.png

Good info! I’m working with a 2009 27” iMac w/1 TB HD. Pretty sure I added more ram so it has 12gigs now??? Can’t remember. Not sure if this is gonna cut it? When I got my gopro the first few vids I shot, I didn’t quite know what I was doing (still kinda don’t) ? I was shooting in 4K but it was using to much memory on the card. Now I have it set to 1080p 60fps. Way less taxing on the card. Usually I record a hole session at a time, so they end up 10-15 min long. Probably a good idea to start and stop more often for shorter vids. I’ll probably try and upload more vids to iMovie again soon. We’ll see what happens ???

@jondilly1974 this is what I'm looking at now and prebuilt for less than 1500 $ with 3years parts and labor warranty.
I never considered any processor besides Intel previously so it's a change for me but I do prefer NVidia only because I'm programmed so.
The stuff that look frivolous is free upgrades for the special they have on now like the overclocking service and liquid cooling.
All new to me lately with new parts. The 2060 could go to a "Super" for $50 more and may.

View attachment 53840
I hate to be critical here but all of those parts are pretty cheap quality. They are Banggood specials if you will. But to each his own. I’m not positive, but I think I could build that rig for way less than $1500. And warranties aren’t generally less than 3 years on most quality PC parts anyways. I would have to add up my parts but I feel like I spent about that much or less for my i9-9900k 32GB 1TB Samsung Pro m.2 nVidia 1660 GTX 4TB WD Red storage 750 Corsair PSU Fractal Meshify tower Noctua fans, etc.
Good info! I’m working with a 2009 27” iMac w/1 TB HD. Pretty sure I added more ram so it has 12gigs now??? Can’t remember. Not sure if this is gonna cut it? When I got my gopro the first few vids I shot, I didn’t quite know what I was doing (still kinda don’t) ? I was shooting in 4K but it was using to much memory on the card. Now I have it set to 1080p 60fps. Way less taxing on the card. Usually I record a hole session at a time, so they end up 10-15 min long. Probably a good idea to start and stop more often for shorter vids. I’ll probably try and upload more vids to iMovie again soon. We’ll see what happens ???
Don’t start and stop filming. You might miss something. Just cut it down later in post. ??

I hate to be critical here but all of those parts are pretty cheap quality. They are Banggood specials if you will. But to each his own. I’m not positive, but I think I could build that rig for way less than $1500. And warranties aren’t generally less than 3 years on most quality PC parts anyways. I would have to add up my parts but I feel like I spent about that much or less for my i9-9900k 32GB 1TB Samsung Pro m.2 nVidia 1660 GTX 4TB WD Red storage 750 Corsair PSU Fractal Meshify tower Noctua fans, etc.

Don’t start and stop filming. You might miss something. Just cut it down later in post. ??
Won’t the larger vids bog down the memory when uploading or editing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back