Gopro hero 7 silver vs. DJI osmos 4k action cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatCatRC

FatCat Team Racing
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
I really need a proper camera to film bashing with and I am looking at these two options what is your opinions on them. I want to buy brand new and can't afford the latest model gopros but amazon offers a new hero7 silver for 269 cad or the dji osmos for 299 I like the dual screens on the osmos. What do you think is better and why?

I am sort of in the same dilemma. Tired of all the cheap cams I have. Tons of raw garbage footage. Not worth doing any editing with.
I'll follow this thread like you. Maybe I will learn something. The H9 is out of my league for now.

I am sort of in the same dilemma. Tired of all the cheap cams I have. Tons of raw garbage footage. Not worth doing any editing with.
I'll follow this thread like you. Maybe I will learn something. The H9 is out of my league for now.
Same and the 8 too. I'm leaning towards the DJI it's a good brand and has two screens and it's 12mp and does 240fps on 1080 with 8x slow motion. And waterproof so that's good with my luck and electronics.

For on-board, I wouldn't get either one. It's too shaky, you want at least the GoPro8 with Hypersmooth 2.
For in-hand etc either one will work. I stick with GoPro, majority of the accessories work with each other.
Get familiar with video editing tools like Davinci resolve. You will need a fairly capable computer for 1080 and some more power for 4k.

I must have smashed and wrecked a dozen cheapos, and the more I destroy them on my rigs, I keep saying I don't want to brick an expensive one so I keep buying the garbage, but in reality the footage just sucks anyway. Image stabilization is first on my list. I would like the GPS Gopro with the speedo. But that costs too much for me right now.

For on-board, I wouldn't get either one. It's too shaky, you want at least the GoPro8 with Hypersmooth 2.
For in-hand etc either one will work. I stick with GoPro, majority of the accessories work with each other.
Get familiar with video editing tools like Davinci resolve. You will need a fairly capable computer for 1080 and some more power for 4k.
Well the computer department is set view pics below... And for onboard I have my fpv setup with onboard dvr and goggle dvr. This is for filming jumps and what not. I have an amazon action cam and well ya it sux. My issue with the 7 is that there is 2 new models of gopro above it and the dji is new. But go pro is tried and true while dji is, well new.

118510150_668617337075206_4295455501735627777_n.jpg

118119119_623682368338527_8094209902494266537_n.jpg

I would look at some YouTube compares. DJI is not as new, same camera they use on some Drones and they are of good quality.

Well the computer department is set view pics below... And for onboard I have my fpv setup with onboard dvr and goggle dvr. This is for filming jumps and what not. I have an amazon action cam and well ya it sux. My issue with the 7 is that there is 2 new models of gopro above it and the dji is new. But go pro is tried and true while dji is, well new.

View attachment 122871

View attachment 122872
Some software can leverage your video card, others can't. I use an old version of PowerDirector 16 that I paid for to edit mine. It will let you do PIP type videos if you have dual cameras. It downcoverts the video to something that's viewable while skimming through and editing, then when it creates the final output, it uses the source files. But you stil lhave to wait for it to downconvert before you start editing, or it's really choppy, even with 120fps 1080p which is what I record in all the time with my hero5. My session h5 only does 60fps at 1080p, but I don't use that much anymore. I used to use it for the PIP onboard stuff, but had a hard time figuring out a mounting solution that could handle big jumps.

I end up output 12Mb 1080p videos to upload to youtube.

Yes, makes you appreciate some of the work folks are doing.
20 min video, about 5x the time editing and making it look ok. That is with SSD drives and an ok graphic/GPU.
Followed by upoad and disappointment that nobody cares or watches. :ROFLMAO:

Not nearly as feature-rich but have you considered a RunCam2 4K or an Orange, a lot less expensive if that's on your list of priorities?

I've owned and destroyed quite a few GoPros since and including 3+'s. I find the 7's glitchy AF, and have had one out of four not work new out of the box but the results are beautiful when you get them, especially when configured properly and stabilized. ND filtration helps with lighting and vibration too...

Not nearly as feature-rich but have you considered a RunCam2 4K or an Orange, a lot less expensive if that's on your list of priorities?

I've owned and destroyed quite a few GoPros since and including 3+'s. I find the 7's glitchy AF, and have had one out of four not work new out of the box but the results are beautiful when you get them, especially when configured properly and stabilized. ND filtration helps with lighting and vibration too...
I've been thinking about getting one of those for onboard. They appear to be a bit thinner and lighter than the gopro session, so it the mount may hold up easier. The hero5 session is like a 1.5" brick, it's heavy for it's size, which is a lot of mass to deal with when lawn darting a truck from 40mph... lol! Even just a normal good landing has broken soooooooooo many camera mounts, and destroyed the body it was attached to.

One of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Runcam-Camera-Remote-Control-Camcorder/dp/B019175DMW
Yes, makes you appreciate some of the work folks are doing.
20 min video, about 5x the time editing and making it look ok. That is with SSD drives and an ok graphic/GPU.
Followed by upoad and disappointment that nobody cares or watches. :ROFLMAO:
I enjoy mine enough to make them and watch them later. If others like them... that's a bonus. :)

I'm at the point now that I don't even run RC's without a camera. I get home, pull the SD card, dump it, import the files into the software, then pulling my packs for storage charge and inspecting trucks for damage. 4 hours later, the down conversion is usually done and I start editing. Bash on Saturday, edit and post on Sunday. :)

As for the computer, I rip every movie I buy, mostly blu-rays, so I tend to keep a decent main desktop that's i7 and replace it every 3-4 years with a new one. Takes a lot of CPU to convert a blu-ray to put on the media pc. Even at 1:1 speed to convert!

By all means, video editing in itself is interesting and I still do it. More for personal fun though.

I do use runcams on my drones and they are fairly sturdy, I wouldn't put a GoPro onto an RC, not worth the risk. I don't have the SD card types, just wireless TX.

They appear to be a bit thinner and lighter than the gopro session, so it the mount may hold up easier.

The 4K is extremely light and tough, even comes with protruding flange for basic lens protection. They make lenscap-style ND filters for them also...

The 4K is extremely light and tough, even comes with protruding flange for basic lens protection. They make lenscap-style ND filters for them also...
I don't have much need for that high res, the cheaper one would be fine. It would record at the same as my hero5 session. I only use it for onboard PIP footage to have a little square up in the right corner of my chest camera footage. Just adds a little something extra to an otherwise boring video. :)

I'm not so much worried about durability I am more concerned about getting the best possible end product for the most reasonable price. I am not looking for all the bells and whistles the newest gopro has but I want a good quality end video. It will spend its life on a tripod or handheld gimble but will never be mounted to a rig, maybe the back side of my jump but not the rigs. Both cars have onboard cams for fpv and they both have onboard dvr so for first person shots they will be used. As far as editing goes my computer both cpu and graphics can handle quite a bit, but I know jack so it will be simple stuff to begin with anyways. At the end of the day if I can get great 1080 or good 4k end footage I'd be okay with that. I am still kinda leaning towards the dji because of the second screen I think it might come in handy for setting up the cam on the jump and getting the right shot and angle.

One small trick that helped me but don't think it works in Canada. Check the trade-in program. You can turn in any junk camera and get $100 off a Hero9. Shipping will take a bit but I got my H8 in about 3 weeks way back when.
I bought a 'GoPro for repair' on ebay for $15 but if you have something else laying around that meets their requirements that will work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back