GoPro setup for filming rc’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might check out the Mobius camera. For around 70 bucks you just cant beat them. Small, light, can do 720-60, or 1080-30. And I think the newer models will do 1080-60. Ive had mine for about 4 years and it still works great. Have had it mounted to planes, and just velcro it to my hat to video a flight.

Last edited:
You might check out the Mobius camera. For around 70 bucks you just cant beat them. Small, light, can do 720-60, or 1080-30. And I think the newer models will do 1080-60. Ive had mine for about 4 years and it still works great. Have had it mounted to planes, and just velcro it to my hat to video a flight. Yes, I have a sound system in my P51 to recreate the infamous whistle and machine guns as well as the Allison v16 engine sounds.

I thought about getting one like that for an onboard. I got a hero5 session and tried using it, but with it on a mount, it adds a lot of leverage and caused body damage on the trucks I put it on. I never thought to just try some HD velcro and slapping it on the side of the truck... I liked using it so I could to PIP with my videos. However, getting them to sync is a real pain. I run my hero5 on my chest at 1080@120fps, but the session will only do 1080@30fps. I usually spend 30 minutes or so getting the stupid footage in sync so I can edit it down. Even then, it's almost always off half a frame at least.

I’m interested in getting a GoPro for filming my RC’s and for fishing. I know nothing about GoPros and the last time I googled them it seemed like there were a ton of different models. I know some of you guys use them (@olds97_lss ). Can someone point me in the right direction? Model and whatever I need to mount it on my head. I don’t want to mount it on my truck. Thanks!
Did you ever settle on an action cam, Bickety? I'm looking to get one when my tax return comes in. I'm primarily wanting something to do slomo filming on.
I've narrowed my search to either the gopro hero 5 black (200 on eBay) , or the base Yi 4k (105 on Amazon) both have some killer specs and you can get an accessory kit with every item you could want for 30.
I am only leaning toward the gopro due to the waterproof aspect.

Did you ever settle on an action cam, Bickety? I'm looking to get one when my tax return comes in. I'm primarily wanting something to do slomo filming on.
I've narrowed my search to either the gopro hero 5 black (200 on eBay) , or the base Yi 4k (105 on Amazon) both have some killer specs and you can get an accessory kit with every item you could want for 30.
I'd go for the gopro hero 5 again. Good little camera for me. I tried the akaso ek7000 first, it lasted about 6 months then couldn't focus. Got another and it destroyed files... gave up and bought a gopro hero5 black new off amazon for $250 or so.

A few slow motion shots in this, 1080p @120fps, slowed to 20% @41 seconds and various others:

Was a dull/hazy day. Action cams work best in bright sunlight.

To get better slow mo, you have to drop to 720p I think. 120fps is slow enough for me.

I went with the Hero 6 Black due to its ability to do 200 fps at 1080p. That allows super smooth slow motion. I'm really happy with the camera.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back