Gorilla tape or shoe glue with drywall mesh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTF MIKE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Need opinions on what method to use to reinforce my bodies. I’m currently using shoe glue with mesh tape. But would like to try something different

I use the black gorilla tape. Does a darn good job. Actually planning on spraying the inside of a body with Flex Seal. That might be a cool solution!

That stuff adheres to the paint? Did you do anything to the paint to prep it?
That stuff sticks to everything but I guess a primer would prob help. Its like ink on your hands if you get sloppy. I washed the inside and dried it out. Then used an alcohol wipe just to make sure it was clean. Sprayed it with 3-4 coats. Could do more i guess if you wanted it thicker.

Update: Just looked at it after a few runs. The spray doesn't like the side protection stickers that came in the body. Starting to peel off of thise a bit.
IMG_20180713_173744.jpg

Last edited:
That stuff sticks to everything. Its like ink on your hands if you get sloppy. Washed the inside and dried it out. Then used an alcohol wipe just to make sure it was clean. Sprayed it with 3-4 coats. Could do more i guess if you wanted it thicker.
View attachment 20364
Any brand in particular?

Need opinions on what method to use to reinforce my bodies. I’m currently using shoe glue with mesh tape. But would like to try something different

I did the drywall mesh, shoe goo, then bed liner on my outcast and a proline body I just painted. According to another rc forum a guy tested all the different methods on plastic containers to measure durability: this one was the best in his opinion.

It is incredibly strong. It does take some time to coat the inside with mesh and shoe goo. Prob and hour or so.

On the outcast body the mesh didn’t stick well at all. The factory finish is very slick and plasticy so it won’t adhere to the inside of the body. I’d suggest masking the outside well (don’t forget the body mount holes like me) and coat with the bedliner paint or anything really. It’ll give the mesh something to stick to. Then take your time a cut pieces of mesh and cover the inside well. I put stripes of shoe goo on about an inch apart and 1/4 thick beads. I did about approx 3x3 inch area at a time. I spread with my finger. The mesh moves around some. After that dries well I coated w bedliner once or twice.

It’s heavy and super strong. The proline body I did is .060” thick plus reinforced. It’ll be a long time before it’s busted up.

Edit: here it is- https://www.rctech.net/forum/painti...tection-bashers-long-article-many-photos.html

Last edited:
So far I've tried the mesh / shoe goo and the gorilla tape method, I prefer the mesh / goo cause it seems to be the most resistant to changes in temp. (though I did split one in the cold once), water, etc. (it's meant for repairing shoe soles, etc., so it should stand up to a lot. It can make the body pretty heavy, and it is messy (and stinky) to work with.

2 layers of dry wall mesh. 2 tubes of shoe goo. (I needed lots for the grave digger body). This thing is tough as nails. Heavy? yes. Not racing it, so not worried about a few extra oz of weight.

I'm new to RC, but I'm fascinated to see how fast people will destroy their 100$ worth body shell with glues, duct tape, rubber, etc... when all you have to do is to use the interior of the shell as a mold to create a new smaller one... and embed the original one over it. Thigh fit, nothing will move.

I'm new to RC, but I'm fascinated to see how fast people will destroy their 100$ worth body shell with glues, duct tape, rubber, etc... when all you have to do is to use the interior of the shell as a mold to create a new smaller one... and embed the original one over it. Thigh fit, nothing will move.

Can you post more info? I’m game. You have my attention. Is there a video or instructions somewhere. Are you talking heat and vacuum mold a sheet of lexan?

Can you post more info? I’m game. You have my attention. Is there a video or instructions somewhere. Are you talking heat and vacuum mold a sheet of lexan?

I'm getting my Kraton this Wednesday, I'll post some pictures in a couple of weeks, once I'm done. I'm still waiting for some parts that I bought at RcMart. Also I got a defective part from T-Bone Racing, which they didn't refund me yet... been waiting for almost a month and they wont reply my last email (I'll never buy from them ever again); I gave them a bad review on the product, but apparently they filter them as they only keep the good ones.

Hundreds of dollars, what? I guess it depends on how expensive the body you buy is, but you can get a roll of drywall tape for a couple of $ (and do several bodies), and Shoe Goo, about $5 for a big tube, I've seen some people use hot glue (and have started to do that mixed with the SG, works pretty well especially on intricately detailed bodies). Would like to know more about what you are doing though, sounds interesting.

Hundreds of dollars, what? I guess it depends on how expensive the body you buy is, but you can get a roll of drywall tape for a couple of $ (and do several bodies), and Shoe Goo, about $5 for a big tube, I've seen some people use hot glue (and have started to do that mixed with the SG, works pretty well especially on intricately detailed bodies). Would like to know more about what you are doing though, sounds interesting.
Right, my unbreakable body wasn't even that much.

I would like to see what you come up with. On the other hand the Grave Digger Body pictured above is anything but ruined. It's REINFORCED! Rooftop landings from 15 ft up. Nothing but scratches and a dent in one corner. Without the shoe goo, and mesh, it would have been cracked all over the place.

I'm from canada... a painted body cost around 100$CAD with taxes and shipping.

65USD on Arrma's website
That's 85 CAD, before taxes and shipping. So yeah. Before being like "that guy is crazy"... think twice.

I think everyone would like to see the method you talk about. I don't think they are trash talking you as much as they would like you to explain possibly with pictures how you are re-enforcing your bodies especially if it is that much cheaper, easier, and cleaner.

Looking forward to it myself!

I'm from canada... a painted body cost around 100$CAD with taxes and shipping.

65USD on Arrma's website
That's 85 CAD, before taxes and shipping. So yeah. Before being like "that guy is crazy"... think twice.
OEM bodies are always stupid expensive. The factory body for my Ecx Ruckus 1/10 is $45. Some of the 1/5th scale oem bodies are over $100.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back