Got a New kraton with 2x3s onyx 5400 mah but..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varunkaul

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi,
I just got a new kraton and bought the 2x3s onyx 5400mah 50C but i guess while trying to put the batteries vertically into the battery tray i got one of them punctured ..i was not sure if u can lay them in horizontally over each other but i guess that's okay to do

I am attaching the picture of the lipo battery ...wanted to know if its safe to use it....and the damage is only superficial though i feel i can see some small bubbles not sure though

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20170412_215615.jpg
    20170412_215615.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170412_215628.jpg
    20170412_215628.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
also is it okay to lay the batteries over each other.....and what are some of the good buget options available....
and is my current battery damaged and should be disposed ?

also its charging fine and the voltage in each of the individual cells is also fine 3.8v currently...i have the onyx 245 charger

should i simply put new insulating tape around that spot ?

Last edited:
(My personal input and its what I do and does not mean is the final word on steps to take, its up to you to decide and follow whats best for you)

First of all the battery is dead, I would not use it.
Storage voltage - 3.5v minimum, No lower

I bought my batteries through Value Hobby and Hobby King. Most of them are hard case minus two 3S softpacks.
I would not pancake them unless you can have a case or L shape plastic to prevent the top one from sliding forward or backward.
The softpacks are stacked with the wide side upright. To do so the height cannot be no more than 25mm (which is borderline).
If running in series each battery should not, (did not say must not be), less than 60c. If running one battery then it does not matter, then 30 or 40c is fine. Batteries run in series w higher c rating will last much longer.
On my softpacks I made rectangular shape plastic plates from vehicle door inner panels. They are the same size as the face of the battery and I place them between the battery and strap to give it more rigidity and not squeeze too much the pack. I do not use the battery molds that came on the box, to me its too loose and is counter productive but thats just me.

To dispose battery there is the salt water method but its not proven because the ends solidify preventing the battery from fully discharge. There are tons of videos using a 12v or 18v automobile light bulb.

Back to the cracked battery, I would honestly NOT use it. Store in a ammo box or fire proof bag, or a bucket with sand and place outside in the patio away from anything than can potentially catch fire. That battery is a ticking time bomb.

Hi,
I just got a new kraton and bought the 2x3s onyx 5400mah 50C but i guess while trying to put the batteries vertically into the battery tray i got one of them punctured ..i was not sure if u can lay them in horizontally over each other but i guess that's okay to do

I am attaching the picture of the lipo battery ...wanted to know if its safe to use it....and the damage is only superficial though i feel i can see some small bubbles not sure though

Thanks,
Listen to the people when they say "get that battery out of your house!" Their super dangerous when exposed to air/dirt/impurities and that one in my view appears to be compromised. $50 isnt worth your house burning down.

Soft packs, side by side standing on edge, be careful putting them in. You could get 2 hard packs and velcro them or rubber band together to prevent sliding.

As far as budget batteries, idk on price of others, but ive been buying vant batteries for over a yr now, i have 2s 8000mah and 3 s 9000 mah batteries, all soft packs, i run the 3s batteries in my outcast on top of eachother with great success and run times, now im not the best at keeping up on my lipo life, ill run mine in my trucks and forget about them for a few days, and have yet to kill a vant lipo, ive gone thro plenty of other brands and either puffed then or ran them to dry, but ive found vant in a great deal for the price,.... just sayin.

I have no Kraton but I use in my BigRock and girlfriends Nero also soft packs.
If you tale a little care and charge them also carefully, no issue with that.
I use LiPo´s since more than 10 years, no one was exploded ans just some are ballooning.
But that was my fault because I used too much amps which the battery´s can´t give.
Was my first experiences with Lipo and RC-planes.
Btw. I charge my Lipo´s in a big metal box which is covered inside with fireproof material,
but you can also put them into a sand filled plant top. Just think about what can happens before do thomething! ;)

discarded the battery
am getting a replacement and will be stacking them on top of each other....as putting them in vertically next to each other is not possible as the tray is small for two of them to fit in vertically as its 5400mah
Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back