Outcast Got an outcast. Finally a card carrying Arrma basher!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Decided to pull the pin and get a new truck today. Figured since the used prices of the outcast weren't much less than the brand new ones, I'd go new.

I haven't done much to it yet. Haven't even driven it or taken it out of my office and already, I lost a wheel nut! Luckily, I have some old associated nylock nuts I use for other trucks that have the same thread. One more thing the RC industry should have standardized.

I've installed the RPM front bumper and the LHS had RPM rear arms, so I got a set of those. Haven't installed them yet. Was installing a new receiver to work with my current radio, setting up the esc via the manual.

One thing I noticed already, when I moved the front wheels back and forth, the servo sounds like it has sand in it. Brand new, haven't even plugged a pack in yet. Guessing it will crap out soon as I know the stock servos don't last long, but I did expect it to make it at least from the box to my work bench.

Here's a video of the grinding:

I have a TBR wheelie bar coming in the mail, shims for the diffs, RPM front arms and I plan on using a set of 3.8" trenchers on it. Will probably make a steel plate for the rear as I know that's going to get beat up bad at the skate park. I do the same thing on all my revos because the rear of the truck hits the face of the jumps when you launch. I'll also make a tower2tower brace and probably replace the steering bushings with bearings. Might also replace all the bearings with rubber shielded FE bearings.

I only intend on running 4S in it and I'm not sure what gearing to go with. With my Brushless Revo, I used the "speed" gearing as I run 4S in it as well. It seems to do fine. I wasn't sure if I should do the same with this. The SMC hard case 7200/7400 2S packs stack in the battery try nice. They don't fit on their edge, they have to be stacked. I can see dealing with the wires is going to be a pain. For now, I made some XT90->traxxas adapters as I run traxxas plugs on everything. Figured I'd use those to run it the first time and if everything is ok, I'll replace the XT90's with traxxas plugs.

First of all, congrats!! Or should I say bout darn time! :) So yeah...That servo sounds terrible. Definitely not supposed to sound like that. After the servo in my first Arrma (Typhon) failed, I just started replacing them right away out of the box. You shouldn't have to soon as you buy it. I would assume that they will send you a replacement right away. Heard a lot of good things about customer service lately.

So I do not have a Outcast, but the backflip tires are on both my Talion, and Kraton. They are awesome. The Pro-line tires are really heavy, and cost more than the Backflips. I would vent those, and run them for a bit. You will probably like them quite a bit. As for the rear skid plate, Just pick up the RPM rear skid plate for 12 bucks, and that does a darn good job.

Yeah your theory with 4s, and the speed gear is pretty sound. Run normally the same way. When you do put 6s in it, it will be just a animal as well. Now that being said, I about lost my breakfast when you said you were going to change the XT-90 adapters over to Traxxas. That's just blasphemy, and I'm ashamed of you. You shall now be shunned from this community! :D:D

I get it though. I use adapters from XT-90 to Traxxas in my X-Maxx. Actually considered swapping the plugs on that to XT-90.

I know the prolines are "heavy". I have a mail scale around here, I'll weigh each and see the difference. The size is similar with the trenchers being a little wider, but the offset of the OEM wheels is a wider than the trenchers, so I have a feeling they may hit the body, especially when turning and pinning the throttle. I just figured that since I run on concrete 75% of the time (skate parks) that the stock tires will grind down fast. The trenchers have a large contact area and they seem to be holding up well on my other 2 trucks for where I run.

2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg

As for the connectors... I know. I really should change. Maybe something I'll do over the winter. 4 trucks/6 connectors, 4 charger adapters and 14 packs... not something I look forward to doing.

I sent an email off to arrma to see what they say about the servo.

While looking at the truck now, I'm noticing that it may have been fiddled with by someone at the LHS as there are nicks on both left arms as well as a couple small scrapes on the bottom/rear of the chassis that someone covered up with a marker. Pretty crappy way to do business. I don't really feel like taking the RPM arms, bumper off, boxing it back up and driving an hour back to the LHS over it though. Just kind of bummed that every scratch wasn't caused by me.
2018-0727-ArrmaOutcast-ArmScratch.jpg

2018-0727-ArrmaOutcast-ChassisScratch.jpg

Might be why I got it for $420 instead of $500? This with RPM rear arms, RPM front bumper, pair of traxxas connectors, spektrum RS210 receiver and tax was $526.

Guess I can live with that more easily. The kid behind the counter was useless for info. Lucky I got the stuff I did.

Last edited:
I have to say, that's a pretty good deal. You got a bunch more stuff for $80 off. Now replacing the servo will almost be like a freebie! Other than that, it looks like they took it around the parking lot once, went up a curb, freaked out, and put it all back in the box.:)

I have to say, that's a pretty good deal. You got a bunch more stuff for $80 off. Now replacing the servo will almost be like a freebie! Other than that, it looks like they took it around the parking lot once, went up a curb, freaked out, and put it all back in the box.:)
Still, would have been nice to drive it at least 5 feet before the servo died. That's how far I got. Not a great first drive.

Now I get to go spend another $100 and drive 2 hours if I want to run this thing, which I do... so I will. Hoping Arrma replies to my email(s) and at least sends me a replacement I can use in something else down the line.

Yeah for $80 off you made out pretty good. Mine is shredded underneath. Lol. Congrats man, outcast is a pure fun rc!

Congrats on the new rig! My servo went out on the Kraton about the 5th run, savox to the rescue. I should prob call arrma about a replacement servo as well. Hope you get time this weekend for some quality bashing.

Congrats on the new rig! My servo went out on the Kraton about the 5th run, savox to the rescue. I should prob call arrma about a replacement servo as well. Hope you get time this weekend for some quality bashing.
Well, I had a not so good spare servo in a drawer. One of those cheap 20kg ones you see on ebay for like $14. After figuring out the rubix cube of wiring/esc plate/steering servo mount, I first took the stock one apart. No stripped gears. Very odd. Spent 20 minutes swearing at the stupid o-rings getting it back together, plugged it into the receiver, just set it down in the truck with the horn on it, GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD... yeah, it's jacked. Then I put the cheapy one in it, it's slow, but at least it will get me through until I get a good replacement.

I had some packs at storage charge and ran it for a bit in my parking lot to adjust steering and toe. On 4S with the 16T, it goes pretty good. It's so much easier to drive quick than my savage flux or erevo. Even with a slow servo, it was pretty easy keeping it pinned around corners my savage would go cartwheeling at half throttle through. Will see how it does at the skate park. :)
2018-0727-Outcast-MotorSide.jpg

2018-0727-Outcast-BatterySide.jpg

Definitely needs heavier diff oil all around. Will have to see what stock is before I crack it open though. Shims, front RPM arms and the wheelie bar will get here Monday, then it's wrench time again.

I went with associated 100/500/100. I have 50/750/50 on my savage flux hp and wish I had put 100 in the front/rear. Running the same tires I have on the outcast. Got all 3 diffs shimmed up using the MUGE0206 shims inside and SWX-101018 outside. Used 3 of the 10x13's on each front/rear diff. Got in a hurry and forgot to grease the front ring/pinion, so had to take it back apart to grease it. I also used rubber shielded 8x16x5 bearings instead of the originals.

Installed front RPM arms, T-Bone rear skid/wheelie bar, Savox Sw1210sg servo. Also made some steel wear plates for the front/rear. The RPM one was already ground 1/3 the way through after one run at the skate park. The plastic one I made for the rear also was ground in half, was an old RPM t-maxx center skid.

Now I just need the fan for the motor so I can hopefully safely run in grass with 4S 16/50 gearing and I should be done for a while. I have a 15T pinion coming in the mail as well in case it still runs too hot.

I broke my wheelie bar on my first bash too. I cobbled it up with some 1/4" steel round bar. Made a U, then run a bolt through it to hold the wheelie bar in place. Guessing with the TBR one on there, this one is just secondary now.
2018-0730-Outcast-WheelieBarBrace02.jpg

Steel skids I made:
2018-0730-Outcast-Bottom-SteelPlates.jpg

2018-0730-Outcast-Top.jpg

2018-0730-Outcast-BatterySide-RPMFront-TBRRear.jpg

Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow. I'm off work this week, so it will get some run time regardless. Reminds me, need to put a new onboard camera mount, busted the first one already.

Woke up with a migraine, so didn't get out to run yet. This vacation is off to a rocky start. lol

My fan showed up, so at least I was able to install that. Hoping my head lets up a bit so I can stand going outside in the light to run this thing today.

I got a single fan hobbywing motor cooler. Had to crimp it a bit in the vice so it would fit snug. Also removed the endcap screws so I could slide it on easier. I could have turned the fan to be on it's side, but I wanted it pointing up a bit so it could suck in clean air better. To do that, I had to cut the center cage/body brace pin off and the plastic part a bit where the clip goes. Also had to cut a bit off the heat sink. Probably all pointless... but I like it better this way.

2018-0731-Outcast-HWFan.jpg

2018-0731-Outcast-HWFan-MotorSide.jpg

Figured I'd update this thread with where the truck is now. Since my last post in here I've added a few things... lol!
List:
HR front center brace
HR rear center brace
HR adjustable motor mount
VR front upper/rear hinge pin block
VR rear wing support block
Tekno shock ends/balls
Square 1" (or 3/4, can't recall) T2T brace that rests on top of the towers (the rod bolted to the towers didn't hold up)
RPM wing mount
Started running 6S in it after 6 months of 4S, geared down to 13T from 15T
Wrapped the tires with kevlar string externally

Most recent updates:
Probodyrc indestructible body
M2C Chassis
M2C rear chassis wear plate
Another RPM wing mount, boiled this time
eBay 1fpvshop Titanium towers (only the rear installed)
Replaced Savox 1210sg servo with a DS3225 25KG servo. The savox died a week ago.
ARRMA metal diff cups in the center and rear. That's been a bit of a saga. Can check that out here. Now running 300k in the center, still 100K front/rear.

Still running the stock motor/esc.

I think that covers everything.

2019-0817-Outcast-TitaniumRearTower-LPWingMountBlock-angle.jpg

2019-0907-Outcast-M2C-Chassis-ESCSide-Close.jpg

2019-0911-Outcast-ProBodyRC-BodyInstalled-Side.jpg

My latest bash videos here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...shing-at-the-bmx-track-and-skate-parks.14695/

Last edited:
Latest updates.
Got rid of the T2T brace

Updated list of upgrades (new stuff in bold):
List:
HR front center brace
HR rear center brace
HR adjustable motor mount
VR front upper/rear hinge pin block
VR rear wing support block
Tekno shock ends/balls
RPM wing mount
Started running 6S in it after 6 months of 4S, geared down to 13T from 15T
Wrapped the tires with kevlar string externally
Probodyrc indestructible body
M2C Chassis
M2C rear chassis wear plate
Another RPM wing mount, boiled this time
eBay 1fpvshop Titanium towers (only the rear installed)
ARRMA metal diff cups in the center and rear. That's been a bit of a saga. Can check that out here. Now running 300k in the center, still 100K front/rear.
V3/V4 captured tierod ends for the steering
Savox 1210sg back on, fixed it buy replacing one of the fets
HR locking servo saver post
armor works one piece alloy servo mount
Battery box mount upgrade with 3mm t-nuts
Converted back to using XT90's
scorched parts rc titanium ackerman plate
scorched parts rc titanium front hub plates
Hobbywing Max6 ESC - now geared 14/50, hoping the max6 will let me run a full pack at the grass bmx with at least 1 more tooth
M2C Rear tower brace
M2C shock stand offs
1800uf x 6 cap pack
- probably not necessary with the max6, installed when I had the blx185 still installed

2019-1010-Outcast-HRServoSaverAdjusted01.jpg

2019-1110-Outcast-ScorpionAckermanPlate.jpg

2019-1110-Outcast-ScorpionAckermanPlateAndAxleCarrierPlate.jpg

2019-1115-Outcast-CapPack-NoWrap.jpg

2019-1116-Outcast-CapPackSideClose.jpg

Had to modify the RPM wing mounts for the M2C rear tower brace to fit:
2019-1225-Outcast-M2CRearTowerBrace-RPMWingMount-Cut02.jpg

2019-1227-Outcast-Max6-escSide.jpg

2019-1225-Outcast-Max6-Top.jpg

EDIT 2020/05/14:
Update photo's due to changing hosting site.

Last edited:
Recent changes

Moved the max6 back a bit so it wasn't so close to the servo mount:
2020-0317-Outcast-max6-moved-sideLow.jpg

New servo installed due to the savox 1210sg dying on me for a second time:
2020-0428-Outcast-Hobbystar-HCS-4521wpServo.jpg

New motor cooler due to my single fan cooler having issues causing the original motor to get to 259F and die:
2020-0429-Outcast-DualMotorCooler-SideOff-Close.jpg

Stainless steel screen on the fans, because why not:
2020-0502-Outcast-ESCSide-high.jpg

Got a Rocket 4092 1650kv motor for it. Only have one bash day on it so far. I'm not 100% sure why I bothered... because I left the punch dialed way down. I can probably gear it a bit taller without stressing the esc/batteries much. I started with an 18T pinion.

The wires are short though. Thought about making some extensions, but figured I'd just desolder, cut the bullets and lay the wires down to give me some wiggle room for now:
2021-0402-outcast-Rocket4092-1650kv-MotorESC.jpg

Not a ton of room between the end of the can and the rear hinge pin brace. If I didn't have the M2C chassis, alloy chassis brace, voltage rear brace mount thing and M2C rear tower support, I'd be concerned about chassis flex driving the brace into the back of the motor:
2021-0402-outcast-Rocket4092-1650kv-MotorRear.jpg

2021-0402-outcast-Rocket4092-1650kv-chassisSide.jpg

I had to cut a little of the side skirt away so the vertical part didn't hit the side of the motor. No photo of that.
2021-0402-outcast-Rocket4092-1650kv-Side.jpg

Rocket 4092 1650kv, $55.29 shipped:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001587823506.html

Used this cooler, $11.43 shipped:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001616585926.html

Took over a month though to get both of them delivered. Not sure why. The previous order I did a month or so prior took a couple weeks.

The motor is noisy, I think. Not sure if it's crappy bearings or if I'm just sensitive to it since my ERBEv2 and stampede are both relatively quiet. Will see if I can figure out what the bearings are and replace them with some better ones to see if it helps quiet it.

Power was good. All my electronics ran pretty cool even after 2 full hard runs at the grass bmx. I did a lot of WOT, adjusted the gear mesh which helped the noise a bit, then ran the second set of packs an hour or so later. It was cool out though, 70F. Motor got to 112F, esc was 109F, CNHL 65C 5000mah 3S packs at 103F at LVC.

Run times were similar to the blx 4074 2050kv, around 16 minutes of hard running with the CNHL 5000mah 65C 2x3S, a little more with the liperior 5000mah 65C 2x3S. I didn't have a good time for that though as I was running when other people around, so a lot of sitting/watching. I checked my time at the end of the run and it was at 29 minutes... I know I sat and didn't drive a lot.

Before this run, I had also replaced all 4 shocks with new take off's that have the heavy duty ends on them. They seemed to hold up well. I also replaced all the axle bearings with new ones. The rears were the fast eddy's I installed from 2018!

Last edited:
Now I know why there's a zip tie shortage lol... Nice find on the motor and fan, ordering the fan, might grab the motor later on.

Now I know why there's a zip tie shortage lol... Nice find on the motor and fan, ordering the fan, might grab the motor later on.
The fans are nice, you can find them at https://surpasshobbyusa.net/35mm-fans/ now though so you don't have to wait so long.

Also, the NHX dual fan cooler is nicer than the yeah racing/powerhobby version. It allows you to use dual 30mm alloy framed fans without modifying anything. It actually comes with them from the start. So far, they work well on my maxx4s which has a castle 1515/4075 2200kv motor in it.
https://nitrohobbies.com/nhx8002rd/

2021-0828-maxx-tubesTieRods-8997R-side-high.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back