Got into some poison ivy...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEng

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
My son and I were driving the kraton and xmaxx around a field and he plowed the xmaxx right into a thick patch of poison ivy... as i was telling him to stop he went forward/backward trying to get out but really just creating a poison ivy smoothie. It was the stuff of nightmares... poison ivy spraying everywhere.

I managed to wrap it in a towel so I could put it in the car and take it home, but what do I do now? (I hate poison ivy and seriously considered abandoning it in the field and walking away).

What is the best way to remove all those oils?

-- Dish Soap/water?
-- brake cleaner?
-- rubbing alcohol?

Can I spray the plastics (arms/chassis) down with brake cleaner or will it hurt the plastic?

I know this isn't about an arrma, but I like you guys better than the traxxas guys...

Thanks in advance for the help!

20220724_104816.jpg

Oh I deal with poison ivy most days at work. It isn’t as bad as you think. It’s an oil based thing so I would hit it with lots and lots of break clean. Hang it up and let it all drip off. But be extra careful because anything that break clean hits is going to have oil on it so make sure you think ahead and protect yourself and everything around you. Once done go shower with dawn and scrub the hell out of yourself. Also your face and hands are what I would watch for most. Wear a garbage bag unless you have clothes you can throw away. Just keep all that in mind and you will be just fine. I get it all over me all the time. Just as long as you get it off of you in a couple hours you will be good.

I share your disdain for poison ivy and would find a flat, open area in your shop or garage, lay out some plastic sheet, put on disposable coveralls and gloves, take it completely apart and wash everything that was exposed with dish soap and water. Brake cleaner compositions vary but usually it won't harm R/C plastics, although it may temporarily swell rubber parts. You can use it but probably overkill as a bucket of water with a few mL of Dawn will do the job. When finished, toss the sheet, coveralls and gloves, dry all the parts and put it back together.

Oh I deal with poison ivy most days at work. It isn’t as bad as you think. It’s an oil based thing so I would hit it with lots and lots of break clean. Hang it up and let it all drip off. But be extra careful because anything that break clean hits is going to have oil on it so make sure you think ahead and protect yourself and everything around you. Once done go shower with dawn and scrub the hell out of yourself. Also your face and hands are what I would watch for most. Wear a garbage bag unless you have clothes you can throw away. Just keep all that in mind and you will be just fine. I get it all over me all the time. Just as long as you get it off of you in a couple hours you will be good.
I have wetlands behind me and that happens to me quite frequently when I cut my grass line. I use racing fuel on a rag, not quite as smelly as regular gas. 😂👍🏻

I don’t think there’s anything you can do. Just send to me and I’ll dispose of it for you.
😁

Honestly this is tempting.

I am going to try this as I am relatively lazy and I don't want to take it all apart if I can get away without.

I have some of those disposable tyvec coveralls and face shield and plenty of gloves. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'll probably need to re grease the bearings at a minimum but better than total disassembly.
I share your disdain for poison ivy and would find a flat, open area in your shop or garage, lay out some plastic sheet, put on disposable coveralls and gloves, take it completely apart and wash everything that was exposed with dish soap and water. Brake cleaner compositions vary but usually it won't harm R/C plastics, although it may temporarily swell rubber parts. You can use it but probably overkill as a bucket of water with a few mL of Dawn will do the job. When finished, toss the sheet, coveralls and gloves, dry all the parts and put it back together.

No doubt this is the right way to do it, but it's dang near 100 F out and 300% humidity, so I'm gonna spray and pray.
Here goes nothing...
Honestly this is tempting.

I am going to try this as I am relatively lazy and I don't want to take it all apart if I can get away without.

I have some of those disposable tyvec coveralls and face shield and plenty of gloves. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'll probably need to re grease the bearings at a minimum but better than total disassembly.

No doubt this is the right way to do it, but it's dang near 100 F out and 300% humidity, so I'm gonna spray and pray.

Attachments

• 16586872052295487291299194260374.jpg
    16586872052295487291299194260374.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I have wetlands behind me and that happens to me quite frequently when I cut my grass line. I use racing fuel on a rag, not quite as smelly as regular gas. 😂👍🏻
Lol my favorite smell

Just an update... I did soap and water on the tires and body shell, and used break cleaner on the arms, hubs and bottom of the chassis.

I did end up getting a rash on my right arm and left leg but that is probably from the initial "getting home" effort.

I still don't trust it, there are so many nooks and crannies. I guess I'll be wearing gloves when handling it from now on or at least until I get up the energy/time to totally disassemble it and clean it better.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Just wash everything in hot water and dish soap it will remove any urushoil. No need for brake cleaner.

I got in some a few years back got it on my face, leg, hands and back. My hands were the worst.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back