Got my first airbrush rig šŸ˜Š

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
My wife got me this for Fatherā€™s Day. Itā€™s not an expensive set up but it works very well and is perfect for my learning curve introduction to airbrushing. Itā€™s going get a lot of use. RC bodies arenā€™t the only thing we want to paint lol. Both my wife and stepdaughter want to learn how to do this as well šŸ˜Š

7E1E6BC3-02D6-4173-BB9D-74AC63EE75AD.jpeg

We also picked up a box of relatively cheap airbrush paint for practicing on cardboard. Once Iā€™ve got the basics down I will get some Proline paint and go at it.

Very nice! Iā€™ve looked into these a few times over the years. Every time I go to hobby lobby lol.

What kit did you end up getting?

Very nice! Iā€™ve looked into these a few times over the years. Every time I go to hobby lobby lol.

What kit did you end up getting?
This one, then I pieced together the rest based on research I did. Iā€™ll figure out what else I need as I learn. The compressor/tank work very well and have zero leaks. The brushes are basic and good enough for learning. Once I know what Iā€™m doing Iā€™ll look at a better brush and these will be for the kid to use.

16826225-265C-46D1-8718-BCB8F4628C08.png

That's sweet! Congrats! Can't wait to see some of your projects.

I have basically the same one I buy clear plastic 10x8 sheets to practice on
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084MKLZBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
View attachment 224410
You got a better price then the one I got
View attachment 224415
I should probably got one with a tank too, but I can add one if necessary
Nice! Have you painted anything yet? Originally I was going to go for the tankless one but after researching decided to get one with the tank. I like the idea of steady airflow versus pulses and oscillating. A tank also costs 58 bucks on Amazon to get separately. I searched for over a week before running across this $99 deal, it is by far the best price that I found.

I saved up large sections of cardboard to practice on. I wonā€™t just be painting bodies, I plan on airbrushing T-shirts and other things. Rainbows and sunflowers I need to learn how to do lol. I already got the basics of painting the inside of a RC body down, itā€™s the technique of airbrushing I need to figure out.

I bought a $14 box of timberline airbrush paint for practice. Iā€™ve watched a lot of videos on the subject and Iā€™m glad I did. Yesterday when I was testing everything I had very few difficulties figuring out the set up. Thereā€™s one channel thatā€™s been extremely helpful, I think itā€™s called Airbrush Asylum.

That is a great price!

I recently picked up an airbrush kit with a tankless compressor, I think it was about $60? But it also only has one airbrush. I have had a lot of fun playing with it so far.

One thing I will warn - don't thin liquid mask with Proline paint thinner. Makes a gloppy mess inside your airbrush...

Let me know how that setup holds up after a few months.... That price is really reasonable!
I put a regulator and air dryer on my 10 gal compressor so that I can get the pressure low enough for the airbrush, but its a pain to have it connected to the heavy duty air hose.

That's a nice price imo. Gotta bookmark this page in case I want to step my game up. šŸ¤£
Itā€™s a throwaway figure lol. Which is usually how I start something that Iā€™m not too sure about. The tank and compressor are surprisingly well built. No leaks or issues with the equipment and everything works as it should. Iā€™m sure the brushes are bottom of the barrel but at this point I donā€™t know better. Once I know better I will pick and pay for the quality brushes that work for me as well as a better compressor/tank if needed.
Besides, nothing goes to waste. These cheap brushes and set up are perfect for my step daughter to use and abuse šŸ˜Š
That is a great price!

I recently picked up an airbrush kit with a tankless compressor, I think it was about $60? But it also only has one airbrush. I have had a lot of fun playing with it so far.

One thing I will warn - don't thin liquid mask with Proline paint thinner. Makes a gloppy mess inside your airbrush...
Thatā€™s a good warning I will heed! Thanks man. Anything else you learn about, regardless of how simple it seems, please feel free to post in this thread. We beginners should learn off of each otherā€˜s accomplishments and mistakes šŸ˜‚

Thatā€™s a good warning I will heed! Thanks man. Anything else you learn about, regardless of how simple it seems, please feel free to post in this thread. We beginners should learn off of each otherā€˜s accomplishments and mist
Few of my early learnings -

My airbrush didn't come with instructions. But it did come with .2mm, .3mm, .5mm needles. I swapped to the 5mm needle and fought the airbrush for an afternoon before I found that there was a .5mm tip in the kit I had to swap in with the bigger needle.... LOL SHM

Also, Proline paint says it can shoot without thinning with a .5, but my cheap brush could not get a consistent flow with it unthinned. I had to add about 1:3 - 1:4 thinner to paint to get it to flow decent. This was with the Proline Florescent Translucent paints.

Last edited:
nice, good price.

get rid off that dangerous gas smell.

Be able choose from many more colors. glitter and things.
mix self custom colors also is easy with Paintbrush
More cheap also paint bodies and better offcourse in all way.

this is the way do it. i will buy one cheap airbrush self next month

Let me know how that setup holds up after a few months.... That price is really reasonable!
I put a regulator and air dryer on my 10 gal compressor so that I can get the pressure low enough for the airbrush, but its a pain to have it connected to the heavy duty air hose.
You got it man!
Few of my early learnings -

My airbrush didn't come with instructions. But it did come with .2mm, .3mm, .5mm needles. I swapped to the 5mm needle and fought the airbrush for an afternoon before I found that there was a .5mm tip in the kit I had to swap in with the bigger needle.... LOL SHM

Also, Proline paint says it can shoot without thinning with a .5, but my cheap brush could not get a consistent flow with it unthinned. I had to add about 1:3 - 1:4 thinner to paint to get it to flow decent. This was with the Proline Florescent Translucent paints.
Thanks!! Iā€™ll keep all in mind. Yeah I got used to the lack of instructions when I got into rc. Seems to have become the normal and figuring stuff out has become part of the challenge lol
Dangit man! ya can't just go changin' your avatar without warning! šŸ˜œ :ROFLMAO:
Yeahā€¦sorry man. Just flying my Lantern Rouge with pride! šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ at least my name is fairly unique and hard to mistake for another.

Last edited:
Have fun, be patient šŸ˜Ž. I went with the Iwata Eclipse. Lots of ā€œhow toā€ videos on YouTube. This guy has quite a few and seems to really know what he is doing.
This is my first airbrush body šŸ˜
1655840275777.jpeg

Last edited:
Have fun, be patient šŸ˜Ž. I went with the Iwata Eclipse. Lots of ā€œhow toā€ videos on YouTube. This guy has quite a few and seems to really know what he is doing.
This is my first airbrush body šŸ˜ View attachment 225089
Looks nice man! Thanks for the video, Iā€™ll check it out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back