Got my first airbrush rig 😊

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIGHT I was like WTF is going on here who’s this red lantern guy
all right all right all right I’ll change it back 😂 But I need a new Compass so it’ll take a bit.

Not a bad looking setup for the money.. should be good enough to get you going

With as much airbrush work as I’ve been doing lately I’ve sort of become a little picky in what I use these days. I’ve burned through 4 compressors in the first year of heavy usage. Unfortunately some of the less expensive compressors just die quickly.

One thing I hated about the cheaper compressors was their inability to keep the pressure up under heavy use and I found myself constantly waiting for the tank to fill and for the pressure to stabilize.

You definitely want water traps on the airbrushes as well as the compressor also
If you get water blow by it’ll ruin your perfect paint job in a millisecond

When it comes to airbrushes I’ve probably tried about 20 different ones and have never found anything better than the Iwata Eclipse ..I use this brush for ALL of my detail work
It’s a spectacular airbrush..if you start really getting into it you’ll eventually have your own opinion but I’d def recommend an Iwata eclipse (.3mm tip)as your primary and my favorite wide coverage airbrush is the badger Patriot (.5mm tip)

Here’s a few of my recent paint jobs ..all the detail work is done with the Iwata

E31AEB17-0F7D-46E8-991E-E07778B9AB63.jpeg

C3A85C71-5EEE-4134-9F2F-E7554B2999C2.jpeg

062BB486-9032-44E2-95BF-5AA8DB4FE146.jpeg

5A4028AD-136B-4F62-9D09-0A2A60A3750F.jpeg

C20F893B-53A7-48C6-A929-67F0F613153F.jpeg

69F85C29-C1D3-45C8-AC3B-223E24791BB0.jpeg

89EEBAA2-1D8F-4416-BADF-1B9673EDBAA8.jpeg

9225F9AE-AF6C-4C51-AEAF-1B13DF6D59F1.jpeg

Not a bad looking setup for the money.. should be good enough to get you going

With as much airbrush work as I’ve been doing lately I’ve sort of become a little picky in what I use these days. I’ve burned through 4 compressors in the first year of heavy usage. Unfortunately some of the less expensive compressors just die quickly.

One thing I hated about the cheaper compressors was their inability to keep the pressure up under heavy use and I found myself constantly waiting for the tank to fill and for the pressure to stabilize.

You definitely want water traps on the airbrushes as well as the compressor also
If you get water blow by it’ll ruin your perfect paint job in a millisecond

When it comes to airbrushes I’ve probably tried about 20 different ones and have never found anything better than the Iwata Eclipse ..I use this brush for ALL of my detail work
It’s a spectacular airbrush..if you start really getting into it you’ll eventually have your own opinion but I’d def recommend an Iwata eclipse (.3mm tip)as your primary and my favorite wide coverage airbrush is the badger Patriot (.5mm tip)

Here’s a few of my recent paint jobs ..all the detail work is done with the Iwata

View attachment 225121

View attachment 225122

View attachment 225123

View attachment 225124

View attachment 225125

View attachment 225126

View attachment 225127

View attachment 225128
You do fantastic work man! I’ve heard much about the eclipse…quality costs but is worth it if painting like you do. I won’t get into it that much, just want to paint some rc bodies, t-shirts for my wife and kid and who knows what else. Thanks for your input!

Wanted to share this with you. As you mentioned, there are a bazillion instructional videos. Airbrush Asylum is also my favorite. He knows what he is doing. Picked up some stencils from this site. They appear to be very legitimate. Their tutorials are practical. You can print out practice sheets. Turns out that the funny thing is that their shop is about 20 minutes up the road from me. http://airsickhowto.com/airbrush-exercises-101-01.html

Wanted to share this with you. As you mentioned, there are a bazillion instructional videos. Airbrush Asylum is also my favorite. He knows what he is doing. Picked up some stencils from this site. They appear to be very legitimate. Their tutorials are practical. You can print out practice sheets. Turns out that the funny thing is that their shop is about 20 minutes up the road from me. http://airsickhowto.com/airbrush-exercises-101-01.html
Thank you for sharing this!! Yeah his channel is no nonsense good stuff, especially for a beginner/intermediate painter. I will definitely check these stencils and practice sheets out man!

When I bought this little airbrush set up I pretty much shoved it away and haven’t touched it since. I’m glad I got it though, the price has nearly doubled. I placed an order for a set of proline basic colors and what seems a really good deal for two bottles of Spatz metallic silver backer, $19 including shipping.

I have 2 bodies that I’m trimming and preparing. A proline jeep gladiator for my wife’s big rock that I will do in a fire orange burst thing and also a jconcepts Ford that I’ll ‘rainbow hydrodip’ for my kids mt10. Already got the hydrodip supplies and all. Next I’ll do a new body for old Yeller. Not sure what body to get but I know the Jconcepts body that’s on it now is extremly tough and cheap at 35 bucks. We have perfect painting weather for the next few couple weeks so I’m excited and getting ready.

7C953BB2-571B-494D-A8A3-745DB7F0B453.png

7701C97F-6AE2-4A2D-B2EC-1A8B20BE9CA7.jpeg

Airbrushing is 90% prep & cleanup, 10% airbrushing, but it's worth it. Just don't slack on the cleaning. Don't let the paint dry in there or it's a bugger.
You’re exactly right
Prep is key to a good outcome

I always clean my airbrushes with isopropyl alcohol..I buy my alcohol from the dollar store lol because I use a lot of it

..I buy my alcohol from the dollar store lol because I use a lot of it
Same here.....but I use it to clean my glass pieces!! 😜 🤪 🤣 😁 ✌️

Thanks guys! I’ll make sure to keep everything clean.
Also..if you don’t have a water trap on your airbrush you definitely should consider getting one.

Compressors get hot and create a fair amount of line moisture ..without a water trap you’re airbrush will spit out the water in the line and ruin your paint job

Also..if you don’t have a water trap on your airbrush you definitely should consider getting one.

Compressors get hot and create a fair amount of line moisture ..without a water trap you’re airbrush will spit out the water in the line and ruin your paint job
Yup, I made sure it came with one of those.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back