Kraton Got my first Arrma, This Radio is unnacceptable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is common that stock servo is most of the time not the best part in RTR.

I'm happy with Tactic TX300 Tx/Rx so far, and i also like the cheap GT2E, sure they are far to be the best, but for the price and for bashing, even hard, they do the job.

But this STX2 seems to be a real problem, with all the RTR i get, only two or three transmitters were poor and needed to be changed quickly. A poor transmitter is worst than a poor servo imo, it will help to break the car really more quickly if it doesn't give an enough quick response. And as already said, with 6s rigs it can even be dangerous.

I like the Arrma cars, when you know how they work with a Tactic. But i can clearly understand and i would be upset with a bad transmitter if it was my first car. When i first tested cars with poor transmitter and broke them because of that, i was really upset, even if i know where to find cheap transmitters and even if i have 30+ of them, when i'm on the field and have to return home to change it, this doesn't make me happy. I can say that when i broke my heavy RTR Hobao MT sport plus because it went straight into a wall with the wheels which still spining at full speed and didn't stop without response from the transmitter and broke a 50$ CVD, i wasn't happy at all, the fail safe was activate and the car was at 20 meters from me. This trasnmitter start give a bad image to Arrma. New customers don't know the story of this brand and don't have to know it, the transmitter should work properly.

For me it isn't a problem, most of the forum members know this issue also and are ready to change it. When you know the issue before get the car, you know you will have to change it. But for a new customer, who want to get happy with his brand new car (even if isn't the most expensive one on the market, 500$ is a lot, wihtout talking about the battery and charger), this is not acceptable. And i would say that i wouldn't care if it is an Arrma fault or HH fault, it should work or be resolved by the support. If you buy a car with a transmitter and have to change it, even if we can find cheap ones, it is a nonsens for a RTR car. Even if we all know here that we can find a transmitter which will cost the same price of two pairs of a-arms that we will surely break at a moment and have to put the money in ^^.

As Bicketybam advise, if you re not happy, return the truck if Horizon hobby doesn't find the solution for you, it is sad to say, i don't like this happen to Arrma, but it is understandable. I don't remember where i read this, but a customer had his transmitter changed for a Tacitc one by his LHS.

The only thing the forum could do to help to resolve this issue would be that the 12000+ members send an email to HH to say what they think about this transmitter. But, there isn't 12000 active members, all don't have the STX2, and even with 12000 emails, the transmitter is still in many unsaled and unopened boxes. But anyway HH and Arrma know this issue, if the STX2 stay as it is, or if they don't communicate about this issue and say that the STX2 has been upgrade/modified, they take the risk to loose many sales. It seems that RC DUDE81 with the Mojave has a STX2 which works flawlessly. But if it is to play the russian roulette and don't have clear information from the brand or distributor, it isn't good.

The firsy ESC which came with the first 6s still gave a bad image to Arrma, it will be same with the STX2, too bad for Arrma, their cars are really nice.

Last edited:
is the standard for a RTR servo really that low? mine broke on the first run with my outcast.

I get really many RTR, most of them have slow servo and often slower than the Arrma servo. As for the durability, some can keep the stock servo during long time, and some will break at the first run. I bought many JX PDI 6221 servos, cheap, not that fast, but with better torque than the stock Arrma servo, and none have failed so far for me (some have failed with other). This servo is enough for bashing for me, i would never put 50$ in a servo for bashing. We aren't all same for upgrades, some like to put the best brands, some like to find affordable solution to reach a correct balance for using the car.

It is common that stock servo is most of the time not the best part in RTR.

I'm happy with Tactic TX300 Tx/Rx so far, and i also like the cheap GT2E, sure they are far to be the best, but for the price and for bashing, even hard, they do the job.

But this STX2 seems to be a real problem, with all the RTR i get, only two or three transmitters were poor and needed to be changed quickly. A poor transmitter is worst than a poor servo imo, it will help to break the car really more quickly if it doesn't give an enough quick response. And as already said, with 6s rigs it can even be dangerous.

I like the Arrma cars, when you know how they work with a Tactic. But i can clearly understand and i would be upset with a bad transmitter if it was my first car. When i first tested cars with poor transmitter and broke them because of that, i was really upset, even if i know where to find cheap transmitters and even if i have 30+ of them, when i'm on the field and have to return home to change it, this doesn't make me happy. I can say that when i broke my heavy RTR Hobao MT sport plus because it went straight into a wall with the wheels which still spining at full speed and didn't stop without response from the transmitter and broke a 50$ CVD, i wasn't happy at all, the fail safe was activate and the car was at 20 meters from me. This trasnmitter start give a bad image to Arrma. New customers don't know the story of this brand and don't have to know it, the transmitter should work properly.

For me it isn't a problem, most of the forum members know this issue also and are ready to change it. When you know the issue before get the car, you know you will have to change it. But for a new customer, who want to get happy with his brand new car (even if isn't the most expensive one on the market, 500$ is a lot, wihtout talking about the battery and charger), this is not acceptable. And i would say that i wouldn't care if it is an Arrma fault or HH fault, it should work or be resolved by the support. If you buy a car with a transmitter and have to change it, even if we can find cheap ones, it is a nonsens for a RTR car. Even if we all know here that we can find a transmitter which will cost the same price of two pairs of a-arms that we will surely break at a moment and have to put the money in ^^.

As Bicketybam advise, if you re not happy, return the truck if Horizon hobby doesn't find the solution for you, it is sad to say, i don't like this happen to Arrma, but it is understandable. I don't remember where i read this, but a customer had his transmitter changed for a Tacitc one by his LHS.

The only thing the forum could do to help to resolve this issue would be that the 12000+ members send an email to HH to say what they think about this transmitter. But, there isn't 12000 active members, all don't have the STX2, and even with 12000 emails, the transmitter is still in many unsaled and unopened boxes. But anyway HH and Arrma know this issue, if the STX2 stay as it is, or if they don't communicate about this issue and say that the STX2 has been upgrade/modified, they take the risk to loose many sales. It seems that RC DUDE81 with the Mojave has a STX2 which works flawlessly. But if it is to play the russian roulette and don't have clear information from the brand or distributor, it isn't good.

The firsy ESC which came with the first 6s still give a bad image to Arrma, it will be same with the STX2, too bad for Arrma, their cars are really nice.
Horizon Hobby and Arrma both know about the radio. They keep tabs on forums, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and various other forms of social media. The message is out and clear. This goes back to what I said about researching before buying. Are you saying people spend more time reading reviews for $50 coffee maker than a $500 high speed remote controlled vehicle? Seems naive. Once again, I don't believe the radio is a deal breaker. When you get into vehicles of this speed and size, it's best you know what you're getting into. Buying a new radio and receiver still keeps Arrma at a price that makes them very competitive, and I don't believe that it will affect their market share as much as some think. I'm sure that there will be a change in the radio sooner than later, but in the mean time, people are still buying and enjoying all that Arrma has to offer. This is my opinion, and I don't expect any or all to agree. My issue is coming to visit a forum, and dumping on a brand that we all like and enjoy every day. Explain how 12000 + members have found a way to figure it out, especially those who have bought a rig with the radio in question. Change it. That's the simple solution. Then enjoy these trucks for what they are. Best bashers in the industry.

Horizon Hobby and Arrma both know about the radio. They keep tabs on forums, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and various other forms of social media. The message is out and clear. This goes back to what I said about researching before buying. Are you saying people spend more time reading reviews for $50 coffee maker than a $500 high speed remote controlled vehicle? Seems naive. Once again, I don't believe the radio is a deal breaker. When you get into vehicles of this speed and size, it's best you know what you're getting into. Buying a new radio and receiver still keeps Arrma at a price that makes them very competitive, and I don't believe that it will affect their market share as much as some think. I'm sure that there will be a change in the radio sooner than later, but in the mean time, people are still buying and enjoying all that Arrma has to offer. This is my opinion, and I don't expect any or all to agree. My issue is coming to visit a forum, and dumping on a brand that we all like and enjoy every day. Explain how 12000 + members have found a way to figure it out, especially those who have bought a rig with the radio in question. Change it. That's the simple solution. Then enjoy these trucks for what they are. Best bashers in the industry.

I totally agree with you. But we can understand that a customer can be not happy about this. And i'm sure that, once the bad emotional feeling after the first using is passed, with a better transmitter, he will enjoy the car.

Yes, the car stay competitive even with a new cheap transmitter. But if you read comments on the Maxx, lot of people say that it is expensive compared to the 4s BLX. But some answers that it come with a better transmitter which works, they aren't totally wrong.

We aren't all same. Sure it is better to search information before buying something, internet help a lot for that, and i'm the first to do that and would advise to do it. But this don't remove the fact that this transmitter make trouble and can make people angry. Not every body are ready to spend hours to search the information and with youtube, there is so much videos which show trucks running with guys who will never talk about the Tx issue, because they didn't do videos to review the car, but only to show how they bash them.

Also, not everybody know how forums work. You can go on the Hobbyking forum, attached to the shop with a direct link, with posts from the Hobbyking team. Many people come on this forum and think they will have their problem resolved, it seems to be something which came in many people mind, but no one of them have their problem resolved there. Worst, at a moment, the best place to have answer from Hobbyking team was on the rcgroups forum, not even linked on their website ^^.

I would love to see the Arrma team come here to share with maybe the best Arrma community. I don't understand why they only, and not that much, stay on facebook. This forum is also directly lnked to the Arrma website, this is a reason why we can think that the Arrma team would be here also. A forum is for me the best place for sharing, but not that much brands use them.

Last edited:
it's a shame arrma are putting in so many junk parts into the V4. you need to change the servo, receiver and radio right out of the box. for arrma to put competent parts for those 3 things would not have cost them much more, but leaving in poor quality parts really leaves a bad taste for those new to the hobby.
Don't forget the bearings. ?

is the standard for a RTR servo really that low? mine broke on the first run with my outcast.
Yes. And breaking in the very first run is an anomaly. Did you get a warranty replacement?

IS arrma not planning on fixing the issue for me and expecting me to pay 60 dollars for a radio that should have worked from day 1? WTF

We are not Arrma or Horizon Hobby so we can't speak for them. Have users told them this radio is not so good - yes many times. Will things change? No, Yes, Maybe? It all depends on what Horizon Hobby decides to do.

The best you can do is file a warranty claim for your parts and be sure to let Horizon Hobby know you're dislike for the radio system. Or you can even attempt to return the truck.

The Kraton is an awesome truck, it has been since it was released. Unfortunately decisions were made to replace the Tactic radio with the cheaper Spektrum radio they could find. Fortunately though this is an easy fix for as cheap as about $30 or so for a BETTER radio.
The only thing the forum could do to help to resolve this issue would be that the 12000+ members send an email to HH to say what they think about this transmitter.
I couldn't agree more.

I am unsure if the Tx has and RP-SMA plug inside, but if it does, a high gain antenna couldn’t hurt. Although, I’m not really sure if the issue is gain or attenuation. It could just be a crappy design elsewhere.

Maybe, it would be nice if someone with a transmitter background could have a go at it and see if an easy fix could be implemented to improve the situation.

Maybe, it would be nice if someone with a transmitter background could have a go at it and see if an easy fix could be implemented to improve the situation.
I will do that in a little bit. ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back