Got my first Futaba a 4PLS and 2004GF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Frankenstein 3S
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Typhon 3s
Both new to me.

Finally gave up on Spektrum, Dumborc and even tried a FlySky GT3B all of them make me nervous as I start getting more speed and the risks of crashing grow with the colder weather.

I see that there is an insane amount of features to this radio and I don't know the first thing.

Making my way through the 121 page manual for this remote which I think is pretty old. It's discontinued.

I think I am most interested in the Failsafe for the throttle on signal loss. Setting it to 100 percent braking seems like it might not be a great idea. It might also just take off backwards full speed. Hold seems right out of the question in case I am pinning it when I lose signal.

Can anyone familiar with Futaba and their 4 channel stuff give me some Futaba for dummies type advice here?

Are there things I should definitely do? Any caveats?

Thoughts about this particular radio/reciever?

I got it for 250 cash canadian. Tried it out yesterday and it seems way better than any other transmitter package I have used. . . which admittedly is few. . . just a year and a half into this hobby.

I use a 4PV which is kind of similar I think to the 4PLS. Futaba does not do a very good job translating their manuals into English. I sometimes have to read and reread sections of a the manual before I have a full understanding of a specific function. It doesn't hurt to just try stuff out, you can always change settings back and even reset to factory defaults for the specific model. Maybe see what you can look up on Youtube as well.

I use a 4PV which is kind of similar I think to the 4PLS. Futaba does not do a very good job translating their manuals into English. I sometimes have to read and reread sections of a the manual before I have a full understanding of a specific function. It doesn't hurt to just try stuff out, you can always change settings back and even reset to factory defaults for the specific model. Maybe see what you can look up on Youtube as well.
I tried out the most likely failsafe setting according to my knowledge of bad translation and 'OFF' is the one that works for electric models.

You would think 'OFF' would mean 'no fail safe' but it means when failsafe conditions are met the reciever sends 'OFF' or 'null' signals to the servos. So 'throttle to neutral' in this case since I have only a FHSS reciever and no other failsafe options are available.

I started the car, waited the ten seconds required for the transmitter to send the failsafe protocol to the reciever, gave it throttle and turned off the remote. The wheels stop and I have throttle control when the reciever has signal again.

So my future sight worked. Failsafe -100 throttle could have been a disaster, Hold could be a disaster and Off is the best option since the car will just coast until it hits something and hopefully only the car gets broken.

This Futaba remote is 10 YEARS OLD and it is the best thing ever. Every other remote I have owned is utter garbage. I wish I had spent the money on Futaba right from the get go. I mean. . . You can buy an RTR for the price of a new 4 channel setup but considering the number of repairs I have had to do because of sketch radios (looking at 5 broken chassis on my pit wall from 18 months of bashing) I should have got one right off the bat.

I used a gt3b upto around 100 mph.
it would lag.

I now use futaba 4pk and futaba 3pm
The 4pk has alot of options but i don't use most of them.
If you are using the failsafe, turn reverse off .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back