Got my son an entry level Rc!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubLRRLIFE!8887

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Typhon 6s
Don’t get mad but I got him a redcat because he had the 1/16 one and wanted something like my kraton 6s, but I wasn’t ready to put him into an arrma yet. I got the 1/10 brushless volcano now I get why ppl love the 4s line up, it’s nimble and perfect for my space, hopefully he takes to it like he has been. next teach him maintenance on his rig oh he’s only 5!

63E285EC-3D23-4990-BC78-36F7F7D4FA18.jpeg

Service is very week can I put a stock arrma one in there?
Servo***

Any standard size servo will fit. All RTR servos are very weak. Nice rig you have there for your little guy. (y) I tossed the 2 Volcanos when my son was done destroying them. Parts became an issue back then. He started when he was 6 yo. He is now speed runnig his 6s Infraction and has a Notorious also. Drives it better than I can.
If you are referring to a spare servo you have in hand, give it a try.
If buying one, I suggest a DS3235 35 kg servo, AMZ like $32.
I Run 9 of these in all my 6s rigs.

Don’t get mad but I got him a redcat because he had the 1/16 one and wanted something like my kraton 6s, but I wasn’t ready to put him into an arrma yet. I got the 1/10 brushless volcano now I get why ppl love the 4s line up, it’s nimble and perfect for my space, hopefully he takes to it like he has been. next teach him maintenance on his rig oh he’s only 5!

View attachment 264991
Servo***

Only if you can find a 23T servo horn for it.

The new Volcano bodies are awesome! Been meaning to grab one for my old Volcano.

We have a blast with these rigs, the weakest part we have found on them are the steering hubs. There is a small screw that likes to pop out on heavy impact. Got irritated this last time and made a permanent fix:

Post in thread 'What Did You Jerry Rig Today?' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-jerry-rig-today.46229/post-823191

Have fun! P.S. don't crash too hard... ultimate strength is not a strong point with these :LOL:

I have glued a ton of Lexan to the bottom of ours.

Any standard size servo will fit. All RTR servos are very weak. Nice rig you have there for your little guy. (y) I tossed the 2 Volcanos when my son was done destroying them. Parts became an issue back then. He started when he was 6 yo. He is now speed runnig his 6s Infraction and has a Notorious also. Drives it better than I can.
If you are referring to a spare servo you have in hand, give it a try.
If buying one, I suggest a DS3235 35 kg servo, AMZ like $32.
I Run 9 of these in all my 6s rigs.
Will do.
yea is infraction spare new one I have laying around. I hope he gets into speed running with me I have a 8s builds I’m starting my speed running career next summer with I hope he likes it lol
The new Volcano bodies are awesome! Been meaning to grab one for my old Volcano.

We have a blast with these rigs, the weakest part we have found on them are the steering hubs. There is a small screw that likes to pop out on heavy impact. Got irritated this last time and made a permanent fix:

Post in thread 'What Did You Jerry Rig Today?' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-jerry-rig-today.46229/post-823191

Have fun! P.S. don't crash too hard... ultimate strength is not a strong point with these :LOL:

I have glued a ton of Lexan to the bottom of ours.
I was looking at aluminum chassis on eBay idk let’s see, this thing is fast I wasn’t expecting that.
Nice looking RC, looks like a baby Kraton. 👍
Dude when I saw it I was like nice!
Hell yeah I’ll take it.

I was looking at aluminum chassis on eBay idk let’s see, this thing is fast I wasn’t expecting that.be

Be aware the aluminum chassis for these are not basher grade, they will bend easy. I have one on my HSP buggy and it works for that but I wouldn't bother on a truck. My Shoegoo Lexan mod is holding up for now.

And I agree they are stupid fast on 2S given the platform and strength. I would pinion down for sure. Stock is pretty high. It also uses a weird pitch. 0.6mod fyi.

Why a 23T? Arent the Arrma servos 25T? I know the ADS-7 and ADS-15 are, and the Redcat servo horn is 25T. The only 23T i have ran into was in a Losi, and, i have never had an issue swapping Redcat servos for Arrma or the cheap eBay and Amazon ones.

View attachment 264991
Servo***
A bit of advice about it, after owning several of the HSP based Redcat and Exceed RC cars (just an FYI, if they have the blue, purple, or silver aluminum upper chassis brace, Redcat, Exceed RC, and HSP, all of the parts are interchangeable). Currently, i own 4 road cars, two truggies, and 2 MT's, and im thinking of picking up another Redcat Sandstorm, maybe. Anyway, i would upgrade the bearings, the driveshafts (they make a version of CVD's, but, get them from hobbypark on Amazon, they are a lot cheaper), since the dogbones easily get lost, even without crashing, the aluminum bellcrank (the plastic one wears out rather quickly), and the aluminum arm mounts, since the plastic ones can break and take out the diff housings as well. With the aluminum ones, in a crash, the most it will do is break the arms.
Be aware the aluminum chassis for these are not basher grade, they will bend easy. I have one on my HSP buggy and it works for that but I wouldn't bother on a truck. My Shoegoo Lexan mod is holding up for now.
I second this. The aluminum chassis isnt very strong at all. This is the build i did on one of them: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-hsp-based-collection.133625/ as well as some of my old collection of them.

Why a 23T? Arent the Arrma servos 25T? I know the ADS-7 and ADS-15 are, and the Redcat servo horn is 25T. The only 23T i have ran into was in a Losi, and, i have never had an issue swapping Redcat servos for Arrma or the cheap eBay and Amazon ones.

A bit of advice about it, after owning several of the HSP based Redcat and Exceed RC cars (just an FYI, if they have the blue, purple, or silver aluminum upper chassis brace, Redcat, Exceed RC, and HSP, all of the parts are interchangeable). Currently, i own 4 road cars, two truggies, and 2 MT's, and im thinking of picking up another Redcat Sandstorm, maybe. Anyway, i would upgrade the bearings, the driveshafts (they make a version of CVD's, but, get them from hobbypark on Amazon, they are a lot cheaper), since the dogbones easily get lost, even without crashing, the aluminum bellcrank (the plastic one wears out rather quickly), and the aluminum arm mounts, since the plastic ones can break and take out the diff housings as well. With the aluminum ones, in a crash, the most it will do is break the arms.

I second this. The aluminum chassis isnt very strong at all. This is the build i did on one of them: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-hsp-based-collection.133625/ as well as some of my old collection of them.
Yes the Arrma branded servos are but they are not the stock servos that come in Arrmas anymore the stock servos are now Spektrum and have been for a few years now.

And I agree they are stupid fast on 2S given the platform and strength. I would pinion down for sure. Stock is pretty high. It also uses a weird pitch. 0.6mod fyi.
Good to know cuz he still smashes it from time time he’s working on his braking and steering .

Oh really yeah because it seems a bit fast for my son I don’t want to repairing it every other outting.

Yes the Arrma branded servos are but they are not the stock servos that come in Arrmas anymore the stock servos are now Spektrum and have been for a few years now.
Oh, ok. I haven't bought an Arrma new since i bought my V1 Granite probably 5-6 years ago. I found a source for rollers and sliders, from pretty much every brand, on eBay, so i don't bother buying new anymore. I would much rather buy a slider and set it up how i want, since i never leave anything alone. Im currently working on a couple of SCT based monster truggies, after i make up for what Christmas cost. The only two trucks i have that are stock are my Arrma Fury and Associated ProSC10. I blame @WoodiE though still. I used to leave everything stock, then there was a giveaway where you had to do a build to enter, and it just went from there.

View attachment 264991
Servo***
Actually, sounds like a perfect starting point. Tune him in to wrenching, and work up to a 6s Arrma. Awesomeness is in the future!

Oh, ok. I haven't bought an Arrma new since i bought my V1 Granite probably 5-6 years ago. I found a source for rollers and sliders, from pretty much every brand, on eBay, so i don't bother buying new anymore. I would much rather buy a slider and set it up how i want, since i never leave anything alone. Im currently working on a couple of SCT based monster truggies, after i make up for what Christmas cost. The only two trucks i have that are stock are my Arrma Fury and Associated ProSC10. I blame @WoodiE though still. I used to leave everything stock, then there was a giveaway where you had to do a build to enter, and it just went from there.
If it's the same guy I was looking at he has so many different cars and the prices are pretty good too.

Just my 2 cents keep it slow if at all possible after watching the Ultimate RC review of the brushless Exceed Infinitive it really steered me away from that platform. It has a design flaw that idk if it was ever fixed, the dog bones will bind in the diff and axle cups before the chassis hits the ground.

Last edited:
I have never broken a rear hub but I did have to adjust the upper tie rod positions (front and rear) to square up the suspension to allow full range of motion. I can press the front end on mine to the floor now.

I used silicone o-rings on each side of the dog bones, that helped center them.

Overall they have been a blast. Finally broke my first dog bone after about 20 packs. It was slightly worn on the end from rubbing the front outer axle stubs on hard turns, it was also freezing out. Set your end points a little conservative and it will help with the front dog bones. Still running factory tires, they are light on traction but make for exciting power slides and just general lack control.

It does cog but given the speeds on 2s I suspect the pinion is too big. Never had the diffs out, they still feel great. Stock servo is slow, guessing plastic gear. Still works, never know for sure if I will make a turn, it's great 👍.

Keep it slow for the kid, this thing requires skill at high speeds 😆.

If I was to take a guess it's probably like driving a Geo Tracker with bald tires, no power steering, and 400hp around a track.

I have never broken a rear hub but I did have to adjust the upper tie rod positions (front and rear) to square up the suspension to allow full range of motion. I can press the front end on mine to the floor now.
I have broken every part on these so many times, ive become an expert on replacing just about any part in 30 minutes or less, but, i have had this chassis set up as a touring car, rally car, buggy, truggy, monster truck, and desert racer, multiple times over.
If it's the same guy I was looking at he has so many different cars and the prices are pretty good too.
There are a few i buy from. Cash4RC is one of the biggest for me, but, that is because i get a lot of discontinued stuff from him, since he seems to be the only one that ever has it. Thanks to him, i now have all three versions of the Fury (mega, BLS and BLX), as well as an Associated belt drive to go with my ProSC10.
Just my 2 cents keep it slow if at all possible after watching the Ultimate RC review of the brushless Exceed Infinitive it really steered me away from that platform. It has a design flaw that idk if it was ever fixed, the dog bones will bind in the diff and axle cups before the chassis hits the ground.
The MT setup for these makes it squirrelly and extremely difficult, but, if you put smaller tires on it, it does handle a bit better, and, if you arent jumping really big heights, ditching one complete set of shocks helps soften it up a bit, which puts the chassis a bit lower to the ground, which does also help a little. Honestly, the MT is the only version of these i have never really been a fan of, so, i usually swap to the Exceed RC terrain 10 tires, or the Redcat Sandstorm ones, until i just decide to turn it into something else completely. Traxxas SledgeHammer tires will add a bit of weight, but, since they are wider, add a bit of stability as well, especially if you remove 4 of the 8 shocks. In stock form, it has a massive tendency to torque roll in even mild turns, and, anything over 2S will cause standing start backflips constantly. However, the sway bar tends to make most of the MT's flaws worse, and, as for flaws, i have to ask, you only noticed one? After owning them, i have a list, but, they are a much better platform than some of Redcats others (cough Blackout cough lol).

We also tried some T-maxx shocks up front. They work great! Had to shorten them a tad using Nitro fuel tubing.

Redcat Volcano Shocks.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back