Got sent 15.2v 4s batteries instead of 14.8V. XLX2 no go. How about Max 5 esc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
Like the tittle says. Powerhobby sent me the wrong batteries for my XLX2. I read in the manual that you cannot run 15.2v batteries on the XLX2? How do about the Max 5? I can't find info on that one. Batteries I ordered are in the link. I got sent these instead?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerhobby...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
20210709_143736.jpg

4.2 is fully charged single cell. 4.2x4=16.8

3.8 is normally time to recharge the cell. 3.8x4= 15.2

XLX2 is rated up to 8s. 4.2x8=33.6
So I guess I'm fine hehe. This is what I read on the XLX2 manual :
Input Voltage:
  • Applying voltages higher than 33.6V will cause irreparable damage to your Mamba XLX2 controller.
  • DO NOT RUN HV CELLS (above 4.2v/cell) WHEN RUNNING AT MAX CELL COUNT (8s). This will exceed the 33.6v rating and will damage the ESC and not be covered by the warranty.

I was wrong according to their website they are HV batteries.

Now if you have a high voltage cell they charge up to 4.35 each and you can exceed total voltage.

Last edited:
What confused me is that all of my other 4s batteries say 14.8V total voltage on them, so without doing basic math I thought 15.2v was too much 🙄
Your GTG

Now if you have a high voltage cell they charge up to 4.35 each and you can exceed total voltage.
I always do balance charge only. Thanks for the info 👍

Those batteries are HV and I would not use them. I just checked their site !!!!
Sorry for misleading you.

Last edited:
Dammit. So what are these batteries for then? They did send me the wrong ones too
Sorry for misleading you.
Yeah I still don't get it. How is it high voltage? It's these right here :
https://www.powerhobby.com/4s-8000mah-120c-xt90.html
Someone on YT replied this when it comes to high voltage batteries. It looks like if you just balance charge them, it should be OK :
20210709_155419.jpg

Last edited:
Dammit. So what are these batteries for then? They did send me the wrong ones too

Yeah I still don't get it. How is it high voltage? It's these right here :
https://www.powerhobby.com/4s-8000mah-120c-xt90.html
Someone on YT replied this when it comes to high voltage batteries. It looks like if you just balance charge them, it should be OK :
View attachment 156963

☝️.. is true.. in normal balance mode they will not exceed 4.20v per cell.. you need to physically tell the charger the higher cell voltage is possible to get the high voltage charge...

That is interesting, do you think the HV battery would have a longer life due to limiting total volts at 4.2 ?

☝️.. is true.. in normal balance mode they will not exceed 4.20v per cell.. you need to physically tell the charger the higher cell voltage is possible to get the high voltage charge...
I see where my charger has the HVlipo option. I did storage charge on regular lipo mode. This is what I got. I'm currently going to try balance mode and see where the voltage ends :
20210709_160947.jpg

First one is done. Under the normal lipo mode it only went to 16.8v, which is OK for the XLX2, since 16.8x2=33.6v. Thanks. I learned something today.
20210709_172500.jpg

That is interesting, do you think the HV battery would have a longer life due to limiting total volts at 4.2 ?
I would say probably no. Since I will be using the total 8000mah capacity? Not sure.

How do you like that charger?
It's been doing great so far after a few months of ownership. Actually I think that I've had it for more than a year now. RC juice has their 4 battery charger on sale right now, which is pretty much the same thing. I think that they have it like at $150 right now. My friend has it, and it looks like quality.

Who uses high voltage batteries? Racers or something? Just curious about that. Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, but not sure of any racers that would use a 8000mah lipo. And I was thinking maybe drones 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, but not sure of any racers that would use a 8000mah lipo. And I was thinking maybe drones 🤷‍♂️
I'm never going to use them as HVlipos. I didn't even know what that setting was for my charger, but it does have it. Not sure why powerhobby even made these big batteries HV honestly. I noticed that these batteries are way lighter and smaller than the 7200mAh 75C batteries that I had from SMC. The 9400 75C SMC ones were freaking massive and heavy. Way bigger than these powerhobby ones. All those SMC batteries failed on me (puffed or the internal solder gave out)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back