GPM Tie Rod Ends Stiff - Is there a Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I have the GPM tie rod ends for the Granite BLX below. I put them on and used only once in 90+ deg weather, dirt/mud/water and they are now stiff after the first run. When I push the chassis up and down make a squeaking noise like an old bed or hardwood floors. I took the front off first and the pivot ball is tight...I have to use a lot of force to move them with my hand....don't freely move. Of course, it was not like that when I installed them. This happened immediately after the first usage. Is there a fix or are the crap and just bit the loss?

IMG_20200624_090141.jpg

Last edited:
Contact them and get warranty them sell them

Thx....they have not been the easiest to work with in the past. I got them off eBay so 3rd party. On my Infraction I have had the collar missing from the GPM servo horn. This was last month and I am still working to get the missing collar from the package. Since then I bought another since it's been so long. I still can use it if I decide to change colors but GPM told me to go back to the vendor on their reply. Go figure! I still may try

I was wondering about these. Interested to see how they work out.

Well, I think I found a fix. I took the pivot balls out. I grabbed my set of drill bits until I found the one that would eat just a bit of the outside plastic away but keep the play for the pivot ball to rotate around inside the shaft. I ended up using a 17/64 drill bit was perfect to open it a bit to give the pivot ball free movement yet still have a good fit.

Before and after. It should not take this but I am learning these are like real cars...you have to rig stuff up sometimes.

IMG_20200624_102700.jpg

IMG_20200624_102920.jpg

Can they take a hit? Do they stay aligned? My stock turnbuckles/rod ends were constantly getting spun around. After awhile one link was longer/shorter than the other and I was constantly having to re-adjust my toe in/camber. Then a turnbuckle would get bent from a hard hit. I'm using the plastic composite links right now. I'm actually very happy with them, hope they hold up. The GPM's are another option. I've also seen Lunsford offers titanium turnbuckles.

Can they take a hit? Do they stay aligned? My stock turnbuckles/rod ends were constantly getting spun around. After awhile one link was longer/shorter than the other and I was constantly having to re-adjust my toe in/camber. Then a turnbuckle would get bent from a hard hit. I'm using the plastic composite links right now. I'm actually very happy with them, hope they hold up. The GPM's are another option. I've also seen Lunsford offers titanium turnbuckles.

Good question and I do not have enough time with them yet or years knowledge like the vets here to speak to the GPM tie rods. I will say they were a PITA/tight to widen so for mine I do not see them opening easily or at all. Will they take a hit and last I need time to see. I went out once yesterday to a construction site after the rain so only two battery packs so far. I plan to go back out. Winter will be a good one to see how they hold in the cold plastic can get brittle and the OEM seems more sturdy.

You bring up a good thought because I never saw them as a point of breakage before buying them...more so just support. My assumption and could be wrong I was thinking that the RPM a-arms would take all the support outside of the left and right turn of the smaller turnbuckle.....which I could put the OEM back one for those since that is for steering to the servo.....????

Hmmm...need to see what the vets here say on that

IMG_20200623_195310.jpg

If the rod ends don't work out, you could probably use TRA5525 ends with the GPM or factory turnbuckles. The pivot balls are not as wide (tall) as the stock pivots balls but the gap could easily be filled in with some 3mm washers.

Attachments

• 20200624_213247.jpg
    20200624_213247.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 55
Another example of gpm garbage ?

Yep...disappointing especially being new to the game. I will ride with it since I fixed the fittings and see how they hold up with the bashing. Holding on to the stock for sure.

I see some with people with the pivot balls only in the joints with the OEM rods....wonder how they hold up

Another example of gpm garbage ?
From the little research I have done, the rods are much better than Arrmas, but the ends are trash just like pretty much anything plastic that GPM makes.

GPM = Garbage Parts Manufacturing

Just install Associated 81398 in factory ends and be done with it.

GPM = Garbage Parts Manufacturing

Just install Associated 81398 in factory ends and be done with it.
So far the only parts of theirs I haven't had any issues with are their c hubs and axle carriers.

Keep the stock ends/balls. Use heat shrink tube or Teflon tape to remove slop. Regarding the GPm's, pop balls out , clean lube using a dry lube and perhaps spin them up chucked in a drill. Wear them in abit, they will loosen up. But GPM plastics are cheap and brittle IMHO. So GPm's remove slop while sacrificing durabilty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back