Big Rock GPMRacing - Wheel Driveshafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In case anyone was curious about album perms.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-album-privacy-settings.144697/

I snapped a few pics and dropped them in an album for those interested. I'm not certain how this forum software manages media so I apologize in advance if they are ridiculously huge. My first impressions are that these things look pretty beefy. Only the slider is aluminum and it shows on the scale. There are no spares included and I'm not certain why there is a grub/set screw in addition to the normal flat head screw that goes into the end of the output shaft. I may get these installed tonight but a test run is not going to happen.

View album 16

Done. If I understood your comments correctly, I think the results are better than initially expected. There are splines where there should be splines. (y) How they hold up is obviously the next big question.
The grub screw is to hold the inside part of the shaft on to the diff output shaft.

Well, first off I already like how they use the metal rings to hold the pins in place.

Secondly, I don't like those white o-rings... what are they expecting these to do, act as a bump stop under full compression? Maybe the center section "floats"... on the HR version the inner splines are pinned to the outer shaft so only the outside joint telescopes. Seems both sides of this telescope?

I'd like to see boots on these too... I have a spare set of Hot Racing boots that I'll see if they fit once mine come in.

Post up pics installed!

Well, first off I already like how they use the metal rings to hold the pins in place.

Secondly, I don't like those white o-rings... what are they expecting these to do, act as a bump stop under full compression?

I'd like to see boots on these too... I have a spare set of Hot Racing boots that I'll see if they fit once mine come in.

Post up pics installed!
O rings are to stop the aluminum from scratching the black metal I would guess.

O rings are to stop the aluminum from scratching the black metal I would guess.
Maybe... I was hoping they weren't treating them as a sort of dust boot, or grease retention.

Do the instructions (if any) mention installing with grease or lube of any kind?
Something may not be clear in the pictures. These attach exactly like the factory shafts to the diff output with a screw in the end.
Does the aluminum have a threaded hole in it anywhere? Could it be used to lock our one side or the other from telescoping?

The rubbers keep the sliding shaft from falling or rising more than needed as it is floating on both ends, unlike the stock step up that only floats at one end. I don't expect them to be a problem.

The aluminum slider is solid with no holes.

No instructions included.

Something may not be clear in the pictures. These attach exactly like the factory shafts to the diff output with a screw in the end.
What is this hole for then?

I think this setup calls for lube. IMHO

I'm not questioning where it goes, just why is is necessary given the factory screw method is used as well.
That I can’t tell you. I didn’t know it had the inner screw for the diff output too. Hard to see that in the pics.

Maybe it's needed to prevent eveventual "wallering out" of the splines by keeping the splines locked.

I honestly don’t see the inner screw in any of the pics you posted. Are you sure it’s in there?

They look metal... could it be used instead of the center screw? That way you wouldn't have to completely disassemble the joint to remove the axle bolt in the center of the out drive. Maybe you could file or drill a dimple in the out drive splines to recess the set screw.

Not saying you should... just wondering if this inner spline coupler is used in multiple kits with that as an option.
It comes with the screws...
Screenshot_20190817-065718_Chrome.jpg

Maybe it's needed to prevent eveventual "wallering out" of the splines by keeping the splines locked.

Extra holding power is the easy answer that I'm going with. I'm not too excited about wrenching a fastener into the splines of my diff output shafts but we'll see how necessary and/or impactful it is.

Is the splined part plastic?

There's no plastic anywhere. the closest we get to plastic is the white rubber O rings you see that limit the slider's range of motion.

I honestly don’t see the inner screw in any of the pics you posted. Are you sure it’s in there?

Because of the captured pin setup these use the screws are not permanently part of the assembly the way they are with the stock units. The screws are in the bag as noted by AimlessRC. I'll grab a few more pics that hopefully clear that up.

I was having lighting challenges when taking those pics last night. ??

One of the rears is installed, no drama involved. I used purple loctite on the threads, a micro flat blade screw driver to push the split ring on, and some full fat automotive bearing grease on the slider splines. Everything looks good to me with no red flags thus far.

EDIT: I've since reinstalled this side and properly aligned the GPM set screw with the dimple in the output shaft.

I hope to be able to get back to wrenching tonight and test tomorrow.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back