GPS for Car Speed Check?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stack15

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Talion
  5. Voltage
  6. 4x4-Mega
so I have been in the hobby for about two whole weeks. The top question I get is “how fast do these cars go?”

Can someone please recommend an inexpensive speedometer that I can attach to a car?

I see this one on amazon but it is more than I wish to spend and has average reviews:

SkyRC GPS Speedometer Altimeter For RC Car, Plane, Quadcopter GSM-010 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SA2JQL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_w9prBbXM3D9VN

What do you use?

I do have an old iPhone 6. I used to run when I was younger but now I am too old, broken and fat.

I use an old garmin car gps and clear the max MPH before a run. It has road rash now, but still works.
2018-0701-SavageFlux-TopSpeed.jpg

I use a spare iPhone 7 velcroed on top of the battery running this >>> speed app....

IMG_7171.jpg

I prefer this simply because it has a very useful black box feature that data logs speed over time and distance along with accelerometer data, gps position, and any elevation changes throughout the session.

IMG_6444.PNG

Thank you everyone. I ordered a Garmin Gecko 2 on eBay for $35.

I use a spare iPhone 7 velcroed on top of the battery running this >>> speed app....

View attachment 20315

I prefer this simply because it has a very useful black box feature that data logs speed over time and distance along with accelerometer data, gps position, and any elevation changes throughout the session.

View attachment 20316
Nice background lol.
Don't all GPS log the speed and position? I know my running watch does, and you can see the info on a map afterwards, elevation and all.

Nice background lol.

Does she have arms or a head? Meh, who needs those anyways.

Oh um speed, if you are thrifty and good with math you could use a tape measure and stop watch. That’s how they do it at a drag strip... they time how long it takes you to travel the last 66’ and it’s all glorious math from there.

2DDA8B30-0F23-47B2-89C3-9CFF84D4C970.jpeg
Just did a street run with a stock grainte 4x4 with a 2S LiPo Battery. It logged 43.5 MPH. Could that be right?!?!

I thought I was maybe doing 30. This is optimal conditions though - flat, open, street.

B35811B9-830F-4511-86EB-A386AF4676DF.jpeg
This is probably more accurate. 20.5 MPH. Same course. Same granite.

I don't know why, but knowing how fast they go seems like such useful information. I had no clue for 18 years, then when I got the brushless revo, I wanted to know. 18 years of nitro, didn't care. 3 months of electric... all the sudden I started to care!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back