Grammar (or lack thereof)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just put this out there. Can I be the designated Grammar Nazi?
When I read some of these threads, my OCD kicks in and my eyes start twitching.

For example, I could reply with "*You're" when it's used incorrectly.

Let me know what you guys think, but please use the correct spelling.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Honestly @dirrty, I think it's mobile and tablet spell check/auto correct that messes things up. When you're typing with your thumbs, and trying to be quick, you usually don't take the time to make sure it's all correct. Most people get the jist of what's being said. I understand where you're coming from, but you have to learn to look past it. It's more about the accuracy of the content, less about the grammar.

If I'm starting a thread I usually compose it in MS Word and let it take care of most of my mistakes.
Then I'll post it and let this software look at it. I probably reread and check things out more than I need to but I'm an old Southern Redneck and what looks/sounds OK to me may not come across in forum posts sounding right.

I hate to read choppy/misspelled posts especially those that use text/social media spelling like u r l8 and such.
I am a voracious reader and bad grammar and shortcuts trip me up.

Mostly what I see is that people don't go back and read what they've written even once to see how it comes across.
People that English is not their first language get a break from me but if an uneducated Southern Redneck can take the time to TRY to make things more readable and understood, I think most anyone can.

These posts are almost all the people who read them know about us and as bad as reality is in my case, I feel the need to come across with my best look that I can.

Hopefully no one will actually see a picture of me on the web. It ain't purty.

Honestly, this was all just a joke. :ROFLMAO: I really don't have time, nor do I care, that individuals don't take time to use proper spelling.
I mean, yes, my OCD does kick in when I'm reading posts but I'm not about to start correcting people.

Anyways, thanks for a good laugh. Those replies were gold.;)

On a forum I'm a moderator on the title of "GLO" (Grammatical Liaison Officer) was given to one of our long standing members as he liked to correct people on their spelling, punctuation etc. Tbf he does a pretty good job of it too.

Like @stuartd I just cannot fathom how people get "brought" and "bought" confused but I guess you never know if someone has a genuine reason though for their errors like dyslexia or something. Lot's of people don't even know they have it as well.

As for people who write "text speak" on forums, ...burn them!! burn them all!! :mad: :LOL:

Honestly @dirrty, I think it's mobile and tablet spell check/auto correct that messes things up. When you're typing with your thumbs, and trying to be quick, you usually don't take the time to make sure it's all correct. Most people get the jist of what's being said. I understand where you're coming from, but you have to learn to look past it. It's more about the accuracy of the content, less about the grammar.

No. I'm just an idiot ;)

I love these, lol.

""It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe "

"I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too. "

I love these, lol.

""It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe "

"I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too. "
Oh crap, so much to correct.

I mean, yes, my OCD does kick in

The fact that you even use the term OCD, means you’re either a middle-aged housewife that has nothing better to do than watch talk shows on TV, or are from the younger generation that the same mom taught you those terms. Any dad married to such a woman just silently went along with it as he gave up his man card long ago.

I am old enough when no such thing existed - if your child misbehaved you just smacked him upside the head and said knock it off. You did not try to label them or take them to any doctor, or drug them.

That being said my brother-in-law would classify me as OCD, and he classifies himself as ADD.

So I am going to make little RC license plates for both of us that say~ ADD-RC and OCD–RC.

?

The fact that you even use the term OCD, means you’re either a middle-aged housewife that has nothing better to do than watch talk shows on TV, or are from the younger generation that the same mom taught you those terms.
Hahaha. No.
This thread was all in fun just to get a laugh while I'm at work. Since I can't run my rigs and get bored at work I just wanted to stir up some you know what. But I do agree with you on the head smacking. That's how I grew up and that's how I'm raising my kids. I don't believe in ADD or any of those labels either. ADD is a term for someone that never got an ass-whopping.
So, it's all good. Cheers.

I present this specimen to you https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost.php?p=15130940&postcount=138 just read pretty much any posts he makes but not too many or you will want to tear your eyes out.

Hahaha. No.
This thread was all in fun just to get a laugh while I'm at work. Since I can't run my rigs and get bored at work I just wanted to stir up some you know what. But I do agree with you on the head smacking. That's how I grew up and that's how I'm raising my kids. I don't believe in ADD or any of those labels either. ADD is a term for someone that never got an ass-whopping.
So, it's all good. Cheers.
Hey I don't have Ad hey look something shiny. ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back