Granite Granite 3s BLX Overheating help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s why I asked what the temps were. You keep saying it’s overheating but if you haven’t checked the temps, how could you know that. My guess is it’s hitting LVC prematurely. Horizon is flashing updated firmware to resolve these issues. However when you say it’s overheating definitively like this, then that firmware isn’t going to fix that. So make sure you just state what you know for sure so we can guide you better. ✌???

Thanks. And I gotchu. Yeah...I guess when I read the manual after my issue, I could've sworn it (and dozens of posts I was reading at the time) said overheating blinks red. Stupid mistake.

So what does red blinking mean, officially? I haven't been able to find it.

And when you say they flash new firmware... It means I might have to send it in, huh?

Switch the esc to NiMH mode and run that 3s again. If it keeps chugging then you know it's the LVC issue, if it dies again then it's something else. ?

If it does work fine in NiMH mode and you want to leave it on that setting then you should get a lipo alarm so you don't kill your batteries.

Thanks. And I gotchu. Yeah...I guess when I read the manual after my issue, I could've sworn it (and dozens of posts I was reading at the time) said overheating blinks red. Stupid mistake.

So what does red blinking mean, officially? I haven't been able to find it.

And when you say they flash new firmware... It means I might have to send it in, huh?
Pretty sure that means LVC. You can try what @suchtragedy just suggested, BUT use extreme caution. For sure stop at 10 mins and measure lipo voltage. DO NOT run until it stops. It won't stop until it becomes a fireball ?

I reeeeally want to get a Kraton 4s...but with this problem, I don't know. Apparently it's a well known issue, so why isn't it fixed PROACTIVELY yet? Quite frustrating.
I have only heard about the low voltage cutoff issue from people running the BLX100. It sucks and I would expect Arrma to do a little more, but I don't think you have to worry about that with the 4s/6s line.

I have only heard about the low voltage cutoff issue from people running the BLX100. It sucks and I would expect Arrma to do a little more, but I don't think you have to worry about that with the 4s/6s line.
There are a few that have been reporting the same issues with the BLX185 as well. It’s not just the BLX100

There are a few that have been reporting the same issues with the BLX185 as well. It’s not just the BLX100
Oh, that sucks! Thanks for correcting me.

Right now I'm sitting here pondering whether I should order an Outcast 6s today (pretty cheap right now). Is the issue as frequent as it seems to be with the 3s line?

Last edited:
Oh, that sucks! Thanks for correcting me.

Right now I'm sitting here pondering whether I should by an Outcast 6s today. Is the issue as frequent as it seems to be with the 3s line?
It seems less frequent but that could be due to the shear number of 4x4 level sold vs 6S

I have a Big Rock CC and have this red blinking ESC situation as well. Is it common for the BLX100 setup to overheat when going flat out on pavement? I’m not sure if I’m having a legit overheating situation or a defective ESC situation. It definitely stops before the batteries (5000mAh 50C) go flat.

I have a Big Rock CC and have this red blinking ESC situation as well. Is it common for the BLX100 setup to overheat when going flat out on pavement? I’m not sure if I’m having a legit overheating situation or a defective ESC situation. It definitely stops before the batteries (5000mAh 50C) go flat.

I called horizon hobby today, and after about 10 seconds of me explaining my situation, he said they'll just send me a new ESC. Apparently, it's not overheating, it's an LVC thing. After watching a billion YouTube videos of reviews of these cars, people run them full throttle on pavement, dirt whatever and it gave them no problem. So, I'd give them a call.

I also took the advice from above and ordered a lipo alarm from SMC just in case the ESC they send takes too long, or it doesn't work and I have to wait more time.

An overheat should have a green blinking light. A red blinking light is LVC

I had this issue with my granite like you did about a month after purchase. And I have a 90C constant 3s battery. Took it back to my local shop and the owner called arrma. Long story short he took my truck back to send it off for warranty and handed me a brand new one off the shelf since arrma was out of stock on a new esc. Now with the new truck I’ve swollen my LiPo up and it’s not even 2 months of use.. so time for a new one I guess.

I have the dreaded red flashing light on my grandsons Granite. Emailed Horizon and they will send new Esc but they are on back order. Has anyone tried other Esc brands?

Fwiw, my Granite cut off prematurely but seems to be better after setting throttle endpoints. If this is a new rig, you should do it out of the box.

Fwiw, my Granite cut off prematurely but seems to be better after setting throttle endpoints. If this is a new rig, you should do it out of the box.
What do you mean "set throttle end points"?
How do you do that?

Anyway, I got my new ESC for my Granite, installed it. And this new one doesn't work either!... After I turn it on, it blinks red for about 3-5 minutes, then it'll finally allow me to drive. BUT FORWARD ONLY! wtf?

Can't even factory reset. I power on the radio, turn on the car, I hold down the set button and nothing happens. Just blinks red. Never does the green and red.

I did end up getting the SMC Precision lipo alarm and used it in my new Big rock in NIMH mode (didn't even wanna try lipo mode on it, just waited for the alarm to go off.... It's been running well that way well for 20 plus minutes)

Back to the Granite that's been giving me problems. I used the other lipo alarm in the granite (again, with no reverse!) In NIMH mode too... That's the only way it runs.

Anyway after talking to horizon hobby and trying poop, I'm sending my car in for them to look at it. He said 2week turn around.. ?

What do you mean "set throttle end points"?
How do you do that?

Anyway, I got my new ESC for my Granite, installed it. And this new one doesn't work either!... After I turn it on, it blinks red for about 3-5 minutes, then it'll finally allow me to drive. BUT FORWARD ONLY! wtf?

Can't even factory reset. I power on the radio, turn on the car, I hold down the set button and nothing happens. Just blinks red. Never does the green and red.

I did end up getting the SMC Precision lipo alarm and used it in my new Big rock in NIMH mode (didn't even wanna try lipo mode on it, just waited for the alarm to go off.... It's been running well that way well for 20 plus minutes)

Back to the Granite that's been giving me problems. I used the other lipo alarm in the granite (again, with no reverse!) In NIMH mode too... That's the only way it runs.

Anyway after talking to horizon hobby and trying poop, I'm sending my car in for them to look at it. He said 2week turn around.. ?
You can find instructions on setting throttle end points in your manual. But sounds like you have the same type of issue I was having with my granite. Mine would sluggishly move and jump around all weird before just stopping all together and wouldn’t move forward or backward. Only control I had was steering. Took it back to my local hobby shop and he called arrma or horizon hobby. They tried going through the same resets and everything the owner of the shop done before he called them, with no results. They didn’t have any esc’s in stock at the time so they asked for my truck to be sent in and he worked out a deal with them so he could hand me a brand new one off the shelf. Hopefully you can get your issue resolved soon. Hopefully I won’t have the same issues with this new truck I have.

Don't know, to be honest. I don't have one of those readers for the temperature. I assumed it's overheated...But re-checking the manual, it says overheating blinks green. So what's the problem when it blinks red? I just made sure the ESC is in Lipo setting. Then I tried to reset the ESC, but all it does is blink red, and won't do anything if I hold down the set button now. I could steer, but pressing the throttle does nothing. (It's been about 2 hours since I drove it earlier today)

No idea what's going on, man. I'm emailing them now.
I had the same issue with my granite. Figured out that the Manual states you must use a lipo with 35c or higher rating or it can damage the esc and have issues. I only bought the tower hobbies 30c batteries because when I bought the granite it showed that those batteries were regularly purchased together. After speaking to tower hobbies about it, they agreed and sent me two new dynamite batteries to replace the tower hobbies ones free of charge. I still think the esc is now damaged though, but perhaps I’ll try to do the factory reset and see if that helps. Batteries definitely better by far.

I had the same issue with my granite. Figured out that the Manual states you must use a lipo with 35c or higher rating or it can damage the esc and have issues. I only bought the tower hobbies 30c batteries because when I bought the granite it showed that those batteries were regularly purchased together. After speaking to tower hobbies about it, they agreed and sent me two new dynamite batteries to replace the tower hobbies ones free of charge. I still think the esc is now damaged though, but perhaps I’ll try to do the factory reset and see if that helps. Batteries definitely better by far.

Yeah, I bought the TowerHobbies 3s, 30c battery first. My replacement ESC didn't work either (with a different 50c battery), so maybe it's something else. I sent my car in to be looked at by horizon, so we'll see. I bought my TowerHobbies off eBay, though, so I can't get the same swap you got. That's awesome you got new batteries, at least.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back