Granite Granite 3s BLX overheating. Need help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanenJ

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I got my first proper RC car last month, which was a Granite BLX.
I have been running it in snow about -2 to -5C. It was running good for a solid week, and then I had problems with the ESC, it was blinking red and I had no throttle or steer even though I had a fully charged battery. I left it for a night and then I tried again, the problem was somewhat gone, but then I reset the ESC and it started cogging so bad it wouldn't go over 5km/h. I took it to my hobby shop and they swapped the ESC to a Hobbywing EZRUN max 10sct and while I was there I decided to also buy paddle tires to the rear. the problem was gone, but after a day the motor and ESC started to overheat even on 50% power. I can't figure out the problem. Would there be any other solution to this than changing the pinion gear to a smaller one? HELP.

Last edited:
You ran it in the snow and your electronics got wet. Even though they say they are waterproof, no electronics are truly waterproof. You already killed the stock ESC, now you are probably having problems with your stock motor overheating the new ESC

You ran it in the snow and your electronics got wet. Even though they say they are waterproof, no electronics are truly waterproof. You already killed the stock ESC, now you are probably having problems with your stock motor overheating the new ESC
Ok, but what should I do to fix this?

Since you’ve been running it wet, have you ensured that your bearings are still turning freely and not rusted? This includes motor bearings as well as the drivetrain bearings on the car. Seized bearings can greatly increase friction and cause your motor to overheat

Last edited:
I am thinking this is the answer here.

The max10sct is more capable than the stock ESC.

I have a question though: can you oil your bearings? And what would be the preferred product.

I notice also I have some bearings acting up. They are all sealed bearings like fast eddy stuff.

I would hate to use the wrong stuff especially on a motor bearing.

I would guess multiple bearings are shot and potentially motor bearings. I know it tempting to run in the snow and mud and rain. Lots of vids on internet of people going crazy doing this......tv magic. The reality is you can run in these conditions but it takes a lot of maintenance before and after (not shown in vids). I will not run in snow or wet muddy conditions mostly because of the time necessary for maintenance. In dry conditions....leaf blower and a little silicone spray and done.
Clean bearings with solvent, dry, and 1 drop of bearing oil. Have to remove the rubber covers first.

I would guess multiple bearings are shot and potentially motor bearings. I know it tempting to run in the snow and mud and rain. Lots of vids on internet of people going crazy doing this......tv magic. The reality is you can run in these conditions but it takes a lot of maintenance before and after (not shown in vids). I will not run in snow or wet muddy conditions mostly because of the time necessary for maintenance. In dry conditions....leaf blower and a little silicone spray and done.
Clean bearings with solvent, dry, and 1 drop of bearing oil. Have to remove the rubber covers first.
Well yeah, but I don't really have an option here in Finland, there is so much snow everywhere.

So I might have found the possible cause of this, I just ran my truck and after I tried spinning the tires and and it had alot of resistance becouse the snow has packed in the wheels and in the driveshafts and I think the problem might have came when the snow started to melt and got wet, but now it's starting to get cold again and it will freeze to dry snow. could this be the cause?

Could be tons of things.....water in tire.....bearings shot.......motor fried. You should probably try some type of cover. I have seen people use panty hose or those dusty motors covers. Make sure to vent the tires so water can get out if needed.

Could be tons of things.....water in tire.....bearings shot.......motor fried. You should probably try some type of cover. I have seen people use panty hose or those dusty motors covers. Make sure to vent the tires so water can get out if needed.
I use a dusty motors cover.

this is a thing though. poop gets wet then freezes.

I bring my truck indoors before I run in the cold to try and keep the plastic from being freezing and being super brittle.

You don't keep your truck in a garage do you?

It should come into a dry and warm environment IMO. or it will stay wet longer and rust poop.

I use a dusty motors cover.
>I guess we all know that no RC is truly waterproof as stated above a few times. Proceed at your own risk. Let your wallet decide the rest.
You cant assume simply letting you rig air out the dry is proper. These are not like wet clothes left to dry on a clothes line. Electrics will corrode if not immediately dried out by you. Motors and all need to be rebuilt and lubed up every time. All the BB's. R U Willing to do hours of after care maintenance after every wet bash? Still no guaranty you wont ruin something.;)
>Covers (DM's) causes and contains heat IMO.
>Paddle tires have very high traction and eat up the amps. Will always bring higher temps to the motor and ESC. Any rig. Well known.
:cool:

Last edited:
this is a thing though. poop gets wet then freezes.

I bring my truck indoors before I run in the cold to try and keep the plastic from being freezing and being super brittle.

You don't keep your truck in a garage do you?

It should come into a dry and warm environment IMO. or it will stay wet longer and rust poop.
I put my truck in the bathroom after I run it.

I got my first proper RC car last month, which was a Granite BLX.
I have been running it in snow about -2 to -5C. It was running good for a solid week, and then I had problems with the ESC, it was blinking red and I had no throttle or steer even though I had a fully charged battery. I left it for a night and then I tried again, the problem was somewhat gone, but then I reset the ESC and it started cogging so bad it wouldn't go over 5km/h. I took it to my hobby shop and they swapped the ESC to a Hobbywing EZRUN max 10sct and while I was there I decided to also buy paddle tires to the rear. the problem was gone, but after a day the motor and ESC started to overheat even on 50% power. I can't figure out the problem. Would there be any other solution to this than changing the pinion gear to a smaller one? HELP.
Many people have this problem and when i hear that i think of a receiver problem because red blinking is a bad receipt of signal of the transmitter. I think that’s water in receiver!

The red flashing you got on the original ESC may have been just cold weather. Red flashing means LVC (low voltage cutoff). Cold weather can cause a false LVC signal even though the battery has plenty of charge, especially with an old or low C battery. This happened to me this past winter.

There is a work around, if you switch the ESC to NIMH mode, there is no LVC cutoff. But you have to be REALLY CAREFUL. With no LVC cutoff you have to make sure you don't run too long. If you go below LVC and keep running, you risk killing your battery and the battery exploding into lipo fire.

I'm guessing the current overheating you are having with the new ESC is due to stiff and/or seized bearings. Your ESC is fighting against too much friction. You ran in snow, snow will definitely stiffen and seize up bearings. Time for some maintenance. Break the car down, check all your bearings.

Back