Granite Granite 3S BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claytonbakerjr

Land, Air or Water...just add Batteries :)
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
Hi
Just curious, I have had my Granite for well over a year now and love it.
Is there a direct PNP ESC/Motor upgrade that I can go to 4S with?
I realize I may have to upgrade gears and such but want to research-find options to go to 4S
if there is anything.
I have a ton of 4S batteries from my Wing/Airplane days and hate
to see them just sitting around.
Thanks

You can just drop in the esc/motor combo from the 4s kraton/outcast. Blx 120 esc and 3668 2200 kv motor. All else is the same between the 3s and 4s models.

So getting back to this I am trying to justify my options.
My Granite is still running good on 3S but needs all new shocks.
It is really a bang around car more for the grandkids and me when I
am out of batteries on the 6S Kraton.
So looking for an Motor/ESC upgrade Im looking at close to 200.00
Shocks I'm seeing upwards of 100 plus for all 4 (unless Im looking wrong)
So thats 300 bucks roughly.
Ive got "several" 4S batteries from my airplanes and Wings.
It almost makes sense (to some degree) to invest in a 4S rig.
My Kraton will run 4S but its not nearly as snappy and fun as
it is on 4S since dead weight is almost 11lbs.
The Typhon 6S comes in at 7.9 lbs and the Kraton 4S is 8 lbs.
I may jump over into a Typhon thread and see how 4S does.
But then the price tag is 470 plus....

In my opinion it's not worth upgrading a Granite 4x4 BLX to 4s. I was going to, but decided against it. Of course you'll need a new motor/esc. But then you'll need the CVD driveshafts, center driveshaft support, metal spur gear, 17mm hex adapters, 17mm tires, just to prevent the car from self-destructing from the added power. A better motor fan and pinion gear are probably a good idea as well. If you do the math, all that gets you close to an Outcast or Kraton 4s. And it will be ready to run. You won't have to wait for parts, do all the installation and you'll have TWO RC's instead of one.
So its a drop in bolt on no strings attached setup? :)
Thanks
They just drop in yes, but there are strings attached. The other components won't hold up to the added power.

Last edited:
@GRC the only difference between 4s and 3s is motor, esc, wider axles, arms, larger shocks, chassis brace and metal spur? Diffs are the same, and I don’t believe the 4s outcast has driveshaft support. Only the lwb chassis.

You could run new motor, esc, metal spur, and be fine. You won’t have the additional weight of the 4s tires added in the mix.

Why not start by adding only a motor fan and try out an 18-20t pinion to see if that bumps it up enough on 3s. That’s the cheapest route.

So getting back to this I am trying to justify my options.
My Granite is still running good on 3S but needs all new shocks.
It is really a bang around car more for the grandkids and me when I
am out of batteries on the 6S Kraton.
So looking for an Motor/ESC upgrade Im looking at close to 200.00
Shocks I'm seeing upwards of 100 plus for all 4 (unless Im looking wrong)
So thats 300 bucks roughly.
Ive got "several" 4S batteries from my airplanes and Wings.
It almost makes sense (to some degree) to invest in a 4S rig.
My Kraton will run 4S but its not nearly as snappy and fun as
it is on 4S since dead weight is almost 11lbs.
The Typhon 6S comes in at 7.9 lbs and the Kraton 4S is 8 lbs.
I may jump over into a Typhon thread and see how 4S does.
But then the price tag is 470 plus....

If it just for the grandkids go with these shocks...I have them and bash been spot on as well as few others here

Big Bore
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-A...824767?hash=item4215fe3cbf:g:lMkAAOSwHMJYLnYG

@GRC the only difference between 4s and 3s is motor, esc, wider axles, arms, larger shocks, chassis brace and metal spur? Diffs are the same, and I don’t believe the 4s outcast has driveshaft support. Only the lwb chassis.

You could run new motor, esc, metal spur, and be fine. You won’t have the additional weight of the 4s tires added in the mix.

Why not start by adding only a motor fan and try out an 18-20t pinion to see if that bumps it up enough on 3s. That’s the cheapest route.
Well its not so much the speed of the Granite, it does fine, I have 3 3S batteries, versus over 10 4S that are not being used...I really do not want to upgrade the Granite but I will sort it out I suppose. I guess I need to fly more LOL
If it just for the grandkids go with these shocks...I have them and bash been spot on as well as few others here

Big Bore
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BORE-A...824767?hash=item4215fe3cbf:g:lMkAAOSwHMJYLnYG
Thanks I will check them out

Have you done this? Are you sure my Granite won't self destruct? Driveshafts to the wheels are different in the 4s models. Many have said the stock Granite driveshafts don't hold up under 4s power. For others that have upgraded a Granite to 4s, the 14mm hexes ended up stripping out the sockets under the added power with stock wheels. I agree the Outcast doesn't have the center driveshaft support, but Driftomaniac has a 4s upgrade series of videos. Center driveshaft wobble under 4s power destroyed the slipper and diff input gear. Finally, most importantly, the car appeared to drive poorly under 4s power, he was fighting to keep it under control the entire time. I'm sticking with 3s, stock gearing.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back