Granite Granite 3S - How to improve ability to backflip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiffLock

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Outcast EXB
  3. Talion EXB
My wife is running a Granite 3S BLX, currently in stock configuration except having increased punch to one step below max punch.
Generally, she does like the truck and its agility a lot, except she's always a bit envious of my 6S Outcast's ability to backflip off of basically everything. Her Granite can do backflips, but it does need much more airtime to come around. Unfortunately, we don't have many big obstacles around - it's mainly pastures or (often steep) woodlands with dense undergrowth around here. It's great for high-speed bashing, but for launching tricks, often small things, like small ledges, tree stumps, etc have to do. The Outast EXB is perfectly capable of doing so (one of the reasons I went for it), but my wife's Granite does struggle.

Hence, I've been wondering how I could improve the Granite's "backflipability". :D
Given she does like the Granite "as is" except its backflip rotation rate, switching to a more powerful motor and a new ESC doesn't make sense, as that'd be a new truck basically. That seems to leave me with two options, and perhaps both are needed to achieve the desired effect.

Option 1: Remove the stock wheelie bar and install an Outcast 4S wing & wheelie bar
Reasoning: The stock Granite wheelie bar is positioned rather low, making the Granite wheelie at an angle of approx. 45°. Which means, the rear tires lose traction after that point, and the truck can't really build up the necessary rotation speed required for a fast near-surface backflip. If the wheelie bar is mounted higher up, rear tires keep pushing forward twice as long, accelerating twice as long, before the wheelie bar hits the ground and leverages the rear tires from the ground. Question is: How difficult is it to perform such a mod? I've seen pictures of winged Granites, so it can be done, but no mention about difficulty...

Option 2: Change tires
Reasoning: The stock tires seem rather lightweight. Which is probably a good thing for keeping things nimble, but I wonder if they don't lack in building up rotational momentum, which would be needed for a faster backflip? If my reasoning is correct, which tires would you recommend? Surfaces are mostly hard-packed gravel or dirt, pastures (when grass is short, obviously), occasionally concrete/tarmac in skate parks.

Option 3: Increase punch to max.
Reasoning: Not really an option, imho. Punch is already one step below max, and I don't think that last step will change things that much...

If there are more options or suggestions, I'm all ears. :)

I was able to get min 2 flips with mine stock. 5 with a bigger system. But tires never lasted long that way

Getting the 3.8 tires from an outcast would make the biggest difference. You would have to get 17mm hub adaptors and probably the 13t pinion would be a good idea. That would also change the angle that the wheelie bar hits the ground.

To replace the wheelie to an outcast type, you might need to also get the rear shock tower. -idk if the new 4s wing mounts are exactly the same as the v1’s. The v2 tower is wider, but I’m not sure if they changed the mounting location also… orher wise, very easy to put on, and you’ll need to cut the truck body a bit to fit around it.

The only other thing I can think of that you didn’t is the weight of oil in the front diff. Stock oil is pretty light anyway, but you could run lighter to get the front wheels spinning with less resistance once they’re off the ground.

Punch set on 5, 20k oil in the rear diff, 30k oil in the front diff, mx28 tires (2.8), otherwise stock. It’s how my granite is set up and it backflips like crazy. You have to keep an eye on the tires though. Reinforce the glue bead when new, balance after a few runs and after every run or two, check the tires for small knicks, tears etc. Also check the glue bead often and reglue as needed. Before glueing anything clean it good with alcohol.

I use rubberized CA glue (bob smith industries IC 2000) and it works very well. I’ve 2 sets of badlands that are 2.5 and 3 years old that are still running strong. I only run them on dirt though, they really last on dirt. Street running wears down the tread real fast. The granite stock tires are decent for flips but tear up pretty quick and the tread wears down quickly, even on dirt. Follow the same process I mentioned above and they’ll last longer.

Never had any problem flipping my stock Granite

Centrifugal force, increase wheel speed and/or larger diameter & heavier-wider tires

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back