Granite Granite 4x4 3s BLK 1st upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Surfer

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
1st upgrades....Loki aluminum locking wheel nuts (since one disappeared) and I added a Castle motor fan to the existing Arrma heat sink. Figured it was better adding it to the giant heat sink than to remove it and strap it right to the motor.

Attachments

• 17E2CB9C-1D72-4BB1-AC1B-113B52D5CE39.jpeg
    17E2CB9C-1D72-4BB1-AC1B-113B52D5CE39.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 111
Wouldn't the fan just blow the heat from the heatsink back down onto the motor?
Interesting point, I’m not sure yet. I’ll be testing temps with and without it running to see if there is a difference. Plus the castle fan really seems to move some air so it should “push” it away once it’s rises off the heat sink. Thats the theory in my head that is lol.

Wouldn't the fan just blow the heat from the heatsink back down onto the motor?
No not really. It works the same way any other heatsink works, the heat is dispersed into the fins and the fan blows fresh air onto the fins and away from the heatsink,thus cooling the heatsink.

Interesting point, I’m not sure yet. I’ll be testing temps with and without it running to see if there is a difference. Plus the castle fan really seems to move some air so it should “push” it away once it’s rises off the heat sink. Thats the theory in my head that is lol.
Well after some testing, it seems the fan drops the temps a minimum of 5 degrees and I saw as high as 10 degrees less.
The unfortunate part is, my motor is shot! The shaft/pinion is all over the place and is binding up. I’ve only had this since Saturday...looks like I’ll have a warranty claim?

Well after some testing, it seems the fan drops the temps a minimum of 5 degrees and I saw as high as 10 degrees less.
The unfortunate part is, my motor is shot! The shaft/pinion is all over the place and is binding up. I’ve only had this since Saturday...looks like I’ll have a warranty claim?

You will probably need to send them the motor for inspection. Email them at [email protected].

Does anybody know the size of the motor bearings? I like having sealed ceramics in the motor, they last forever. I can't check it yet because the Big Rock 3s will arrive end of November, thanks in advance!

You will probably need to send them the motor for inspection. Email them at [email protected].
Well I stopped by the shop (Daniels Hobbies) I got the truck at and they were shocked how badly the internal motor bearings failed! Good thing is a new motor is on the way...bad thing is the spur gear and pinion gear is shot and ARRMA has their proprietary spur gear on backorder. Go figure.
Anyone know where to get an AR310879??

Well I stopped by the shop (Daniels Hobbies) I got the truck at and they were shocked how badly the internal motor bearings failed! Good thing is a new motor is on the way...bad thing is the spur gear and pinion gear is shot and ARRMA has their proprietary spur gear on backorder. Go figure.
Anyone know where to get an AR310879??

I do not. I’m terrified of stripping the spur for that very reason.

Any other important parts that are hard to find? I'll check both my local hobby stores.

Any other important parts that are hard to find? I'll check both my local hobby stores.

Out of the poop that will break, just the spur. Pinions are a dime a dozen and rest is easy to get. But the spur isn’t available yet.

Out of the poop that will break, just the spur. Pinions are a dime a dozen and rest is easy to get. But the spur isn’t available yet.
The spur. It’s propritary with their slipper clutch set up notches etc...go figure.

The spur. It’s propritary with their slipper clutch set up notches etc...go figure.
Really shame on them for not having a common part like this ready in abundance when they started selling the truck.

Really shame on them for not having a common part like this ready in abundance when they started selling the truck.
Exactly what we were saying at the shop. If this is so new, make 6 parts per vehicle. I had no idea the Granite 4x4 3s was that new.

Does anybody know the size of the motor bearings? I like having sealed ceramics in the motor, they last forever. I can't check it yet because the Big Rock 3s will arrive end of November, thanks in advance!
I can't brain today, I has the dumb.

Last edited:
When you’re waiting for your motor and spur gear (which I did find) replacement to arrive you swap out your bearings for sealed ones.

Well, the new motor came in, I replaced it along with a Robinson 8715 pinion gear. It ran good and nice for about 15-20 mins then went into limp mode. I checked temps and all were ok, came home pulled the motor out, and saw the same thing...more metal shavings and seizing up. The esc light blinks red and stops. So is the esc shot from overheating from the first motor issue, or is the new motor shot too. What the hell is going on with a truck I’ve had 2 weeks!?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back