Granite Granite 4x4 BLX gear problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruski

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So first week owner of Granite BLX, i love it.

Was driving this morning and during a parking lot session mid motion I lost all power, engine rev noise for a second then no movement. I took it to my local hobby shop and they opened up the gearbox, and found a chewed up almost all gone 57t 0.8 spur gear, they sold/installed a new one and mentioned that the mesh between pinion and spur gears seemed too tight. The truck has not adjustments for mesh. only two other spots to use when mounting different pinion sizes.

I went for a quick run and the new gear makes same noise, and I expect will wear with 10 minutes of driving so I stopped.
I went back to hobby shop and purchased another spur gear, and a 13t pinion. And was going to open her back up.
I also sent an email to customer service.

What should I do next?

Was driving this morning and during a parking lot session mid motion I lost all power, engine rev noise for a second then no movement. I took it to my local hobby shop and they opened up the gearbox, and found a chewed up almost all gone 57t 0.8 spur gear, they sold/installed a new one and mentioned that the mesh between pinion and spur gears seemed too tight. The truck has not adjustments for mesh. only two other spots to use when mounting different pinion sizes.

I went for a quick run and the new gear makes same noise, and I expect will wear with 10 minutes of driving so I stopped.
I went back to hobby shop and purchased another spur gear, and a 13t pinion. And was going to open her back up.

What should I do next?
I like the Hot Racing motor plate upgrade that allows mesh to be more user set. I think you'll like it too. The mesh on these 3s BLX trucks is too tight imo.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...693032&hash=item1cc2a3fb30:g:l3gAAOSwmwFccJEr

What should I do next?
Look into an adjustable motor mount, like the one from Hot Racing.

thanks, do you think I should even bother installing the 13t pinion and seeing if it will mesh better?

thanks, do you think I should even bother installing the 13t pinion and seeing if it will mesh better?
I think if you get the HR motor mount / plate you'll be able to install any pinion you want that makes sense. As for trying to do the 13t to see if it meshes better, any pinion will give you tight mesh as long as you continue to use that stock mount. I hate to say that there is a absolute necessity to upgrade out of the box but in the case of the stock mount vs the HR upgrade, I feel it's essential for peace of mind at least.
Some guys drill out the stock plate too but for $20, it's night and day difference and easy install. You even may want to start working in some nicer bearings at the same time. Also a very noticeable upgrade that won't break the bank.

interesting, our two trucks would easily now have 35-40 packs of 3s through them. we've never had a pinion or spur problem and they are both on the originals. i do take the power module off and make sure the chassis underneath and gears are clean every few outings, if really dusty i will do it often.
We really thrash our trucks. something is wrong.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back