Granite Granite 4x4 Gearing (Spur Gear Swap Needed?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriMan123456789

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've seen similar posts, but not exactly the info I am looking for (maybe I missed it). I am converting my Granite 4x4 Mega V3 to brushless... using ARRMA BLX100 ESC, GoolRC 3660 3800KV motor and 2s lipo... I know I need a new pinion for the 5mm shaft and plan on going with a 17t. My question is: Do I have to change the stock 92t spur gear? I'd rather not if I don't have to lol. I expect this setup to be quite a bit faster than the stock brushed, but just running on 2s I don't expect it to be ballistic so I am assuming the plastic gear will hold up. Thanks!

Probably would be in your best interest to just but the 3s spur or better yet the metal spur and not worry about chewing up your spur at all.

If I go that route, should I get a metal 92t? Or the BLX Spur (54t I think). Seems like quite the jump from 92 to 54... But, I'm new to this (can you tell lol?).

If I go that route, should I get a metal 92t? Or the BLX Spur (54t I think). Seems like quite the jump from 92 to 54... But, I'm new to this (can you tell lol?).
AFAIK no metal 92t spur. The metal is the 57t 0.8mod. Imo worth the money - bear in mind you will need to replace the whole slipper assembly and also get the slipper shaft as the old 550 one is too long.

17/92 gearing on 48p is approximately the same as 10/54 gearing on 32p (the 10/54 is a tiny bit higher geared, but not by much). I would stick with a plastic spur, so it acts as a safeguard for the drivetrain in case something goes wrong, so if you think 48p would strip too easily, get the 32p plastic spur instead of a 48p metal spur.

I saw that HR one... what's the benefit to going to the 0.8 MOD vs keeping the stock 48p spur?

I don't believe the 48P system was designed for 3S power otherwise the 3S BLX systems wouldn't have a 0.8 MOD. I know, it's a weak rationale but I imagine the Arrma engineers knew what they were doing. The slipper design for the 3S BLX systems is also different that the MEGA systems.

One other reason to consider upgrading to the blx slipper/spur is it's easier to find 5mm bore pinions in 32p/0.8mod where 48p pinions in 5mm bore is more rare. Most 48p pinions have 3.175mm bore. Just putting that out there.

The 57t spur assembly has 3 slipper clutch pads. The 91t in the mega has 1 slipper pad. I reckon you will go through the single pad pretty quick with all the extra torque in your 2s brushless set up but I could be wrong. I switched over to the 57t and 0.8 mod pinion when I did the brushless version.

The 57t spur assembly has 3 slipper clutch pads. The 91t in the mega has 1 slipper pad. I reckon you will go through the single pad pretty quick with all the extra torque in your 2s brushless set up but I could be wrong. I switched over to the 57t and 0.8 mod pinion when I did the brushless version.
Thanks for the input! I guess the obvious solution here is to try it stock and fix it when things break... I'll keep ya posted!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back