Granite Granite -> Big Rock Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone please check whether or not the V3 slipper has changed or not? (concerning module dust). I have a really hard time trying to find 10x15x0.1-1 in Sweden. Which is the size needed to shim the slipper.

Hello again! On account of me becoming a father for the second time, I had to skip tinkering for a few evenings. I might be a bit more sporadic with the updates for a while :LOL:.

That said, been going over the motormodule and all those parts. Been trying to figure out if I need to shim the slipper or not. It doesn´t seem to rub and the raised part, see pic, seems bigger than pictures of previous versions on this forum. The long part in the picture was 1 cm for me and the raised part about 4-5 mm. Can anyone with V1 or V2 Granite/Big Rock check their lengths?

View attachment 186643

I´ve incorporated @Yas solution with a small o-ring and two 5x10x1 shims under the pinion. To seal the motor from possible module dust and random crap.

View attachment 186644

I will add the grub screw. Cleaning it atm. Acetone seems to work the best to get rid of the old loctite, or whatever it is.
View attachment 186645

I´ve added the rear wing properly. In earlier pics is held with sticky stuff :p.
I also started looking at the battery compartment and added som adhesive foam (normally for isolating pipes) in the bottom. I noticed I accidentally bought a huge battery so I had to remove the battery buffer. I will have to add some foam (2 different kinds since I have 2 different sized batteries) on the side to protect the cables from getting squished if the battery slides during a crash.

Battery buffer:
View attachment 186646

I´ve ordered a bigger wing and a better screwdriver for the wheel axles and diffs. So next after powermodule and battery compartment is securing the wheel axle screws with loctite. Not sure I´m writing the correct part here. I saw a great pic with all the names of all the parts recently but I´ve lost it, totally blaming the child birth :p.

Edit: Found it! Axle is correct, the screw is behind the hex hub inside the hub carrier. Yey, learning!

Congratulations on the second baby! You are going to have your hands full!!

I was heavy into two different automotive forums [ e46fanatics.com (BMW) and evolutionm.net (Mitsubishi) ] Before having babies < They take ALL your energy!! So I wouldn't be surprised you take some time off and focus on what Really important. 👍

We'll be here waiting.

Here's a rough mockup of what I'm thinking..

Flip the front body mount backwards, move the body forward as much as you can so the front wheel well will be more aligned with the front axle and trim it open a tad more.. & then trim the rear wheel well open towards the rearend..

Granite to Big Rock by Kodesh MOD.jpg

Almost a bit of that Mad Max vibe...

No kidding, half exhausted xD. I´ve already made the holes so all the way forward is out. It´s somewhere in the middle atm. Good ideas. I´ll see what I can incorporate.

Roger that.

I've done that before too. If it turns out that I don't like the original position of the post holes, I would design fake hood vents or some other hood accessory to cover them up. Just another idea for you.

Due to lack of time theres been a bit less photos and some more work.

I´ve set the gear mesh, tried the paper trick but it was too tight. No click. So I did it manually. I even wrote numbers on the slipper and rotated it so I made sure I checked aligment every 14th tooth. Probably a bit anal but I can´t help myself :LOL:.

I´ve painted the body. I made the post holes first as I wanted to see where the posts where through the lexan. The paint came out ok. Slightly grainy in a few places. I probably held the can too far away. Not my favorite red but my son will go nuts happy :D.

I´ve also attached the wing, a bigger one! And all the tires. And everything else :p. Sides, ESC, engine.

I´ve made a small homemade solution to better stabilize the engine during jumps. Since it apparently hangs about 3 mm above the chassi bottom (silly). I added a small slab of iron under it. I´ll take some pictures of it later.

I´ve also started cutting the body to fit better during travel. Atm it can almost bottom out without the arms touching the body. We´ll see how it goes with the front wheels and turning. I don´t have any big jumps planned but I might need to do some adjustments. I Initially lowered the posts to the bottom placement as I didn´t think of the arms and tires and movement during travel. I had to correct this and the posts are now in the top placement.

I saved some spare pieces of lexan and are testing out different glues as we normally don´t have shoe goo in Sweden. Atm Casco Rubberfix seems promising.

The car is now too wide for the original box :eek:. So I will have to find something else to giftwrap it in.

Left on the list is more body trimming, glueing, decals, learn how to charge batteries properly, set end points, maybe adjust the front toe out and maybe check the slipper. Otherwise I´ll do this during the first run.

WIP pic:
20211220_090229.jpg

Pictures of the finished result! The body I finally went with is a Team C 2410006, US Classic Body No.1. My son got to decide what stickers and where they were gonna be when he opened the box on Christmas morning. After that we went nuts in the snow with it. Worked pretty good. Only problem we had was waiting for the other one to finish drivning :LOL:. I made some mistakes but overall I´m quite happy with the result. In reverse when turning one of the wheels rub a little bit on the front side but It´s probably not a big issue.

20211227_205233.jpg
20211227_205248.jpg
20211229_161627.jpg

Pic after snow run. I´ll add a better pic from during the next time we are out.
20211225_105926.jpg

Battery compartment. Padded. I took out a small piece for the wires as the battery was so big. I don´t think it´s gonna affect the structural integrity of the chassi. I´ve ordered some hand warmers to test if I can keep the battery somewhat warmer during the next run (but not too warm!).
20211229_161143.jpg

The metall piece under the motor. I might add a better foto if someone wishes it. It goes about the length of the motor in the slot where there is no heatsink.
20211229_161311.jpg

Body treated with Rubberfix and glassfibertape. I actually used something called Cool Tack for gluing the rear piece on to the rest of the body. I found it worked better than the Rubberfix for gluing pieces of lexan together.
20211229_161351.jpg

Thx for all the help and tips!

Pictures of the finished result! The body I finally went with is a Team C 2410006, US Classic Body No.1. My son got to decide what stickers and where they were gonna be when he opened the box on Christmas morning. After that we went nuts in the snow with it. Worked pretty good. Only problem we had was waiting for the other one to finish drivning :LOL:. I made some mistakes but overall I´m quite happy with the result. In reverse when turning one of the wheels rub a little bit on the front side but It´s probably not a big issue.

View attachment 188987View attachment 188988View attachment 188992

Pic after snow run. I´ll add a better pic from during the next time we are out.
View attachment 188986

Battery compartment. Padded. I took out a small piece for the wires as the battery was so big. I don´t think it´s gonna affect the structural integrity of the chassi. I´ve ordered some hand warmers to test if I can keep the battery somewhat warmer during the next run (but not too warm!).View attachment 188989

The metall piece under the motor. I might add a better foto if someone wishes it. It goes about the length of the motor in the slot where there is no heatsink.
View attachment 188990

Body treated with Rubberfix and glassfibertape. I actually used something called Cool Tack for gluing the rear piece on to the rest of the body. I found it worked better than the Rubberfix for gluing pieces of lexan together.
View attachment 188991
Thx for all the help and tips!
Congrats on both the new members of the family!!
Good job on the build also. Looks great sir!!

Added all the typhon arms and turnbuckles for a wider stance. Big rock chassi. Added front and rear bumpers. Tires are just there for show atm.

Stiff foam in the bumper cavity for less breakage of said bumper. Check.

View attachment 185866

To the extra fun part! Deciding where the body sits best, further in the front or rear, and whether to have a wing or not. The holes for the tires are borked either way. Maybe I should have considered disregarding the default cutouts and just made my own. The small protrusions might have made it look weird though. Oh well, done is done!

View attachment 185867

View attachment 185868

One thing is clear though, IF I´m gonna have a wing, wider would be better.

View attachment 185869
The other thing that’s clear is the body. Coming along nicely dude

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back