Granite Granite BLX battery factory settings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
LHS let me try my granite BLX 4x4 brushless beast at their playground with a lipo battery. I'm also running the same battery. Question is, is the granite BLX set up to run lipo batteries from factory? Just curious. Thanks! I forgot to ask! And I know that the LHS probably knows this. Sorry, rookie question.

Yes sir. The 4x4 BLX 3s models are set up for lipo out of the box. You'll likely never need to change this setting.
This ^ not really sure why nimh is even an option anymore or why manufacturers insist on including them with rtr vehicles, at least Ecx figured out that most people just toss them in the bin and started including a lipo battery with their cars. And have you seen the price of nimh batteries lately? They are expensive as hell.

Yes sir. The 4x4 BLX 3s models are set up for lipo out of the box. You'll likely never need to change this setting.
Thanks!
This ^ not really sure why nimh is even an option anymore or why manufacturers insist on including them with rtr vehicles, at least Ecx figured out that most people just toss them in the bin and started including a lipo battery with their cars. And have you seen the price of nimh batteries lately? They are expensive as hell.
Thanks.

I've never owned NiMH because I'm a newb... but why are they growing more expensive? I do have several models with brushed motors but only two are trucks. And I've always used lipo. The rest are supposed to fly ? I need to try again. Learn to fly.

The battery that my LHS sold me with my granite BLX is 5000mAh 30C 3s Spektrum. I'm assuming that's more than enough for this truck. I know that Arrma says minimum ratings for 6s vehicles are : 5000mAh and 35C. I was wondering if there's a minimum for the 3s models?

The battery that my LHS sold me with my granite BLX is 5000mAh 30C 3s Spektrum. I'm assuming that's more than enough for this truck. I know that Arrma says minimum ratings for 6s vehicles are : 5000mAh and 35C. I was wondering if there's a minimum for the 3s models?
Somewhere, maybe on Tower Hobbies I think, it says 5000mah 30c. I would say realistically you would have no problems with a 5000mah 20c lipo, but I would not dare go any lower than that.

I think you'll be fine but I always try to buy the highest C-Rating I can. Lower C usually costs less. If you haven't used the pack and can trade up, I'd do it....but otherwise, I think it'll be fine. I imagine that the BLX esc no matter which variation, ... Arrma would hope we'd use 35C and above

I think you'll be fine but I always try to buy the highest C-Rating I can. Lower C usually costs less. If you haven't used the pack and can trade up, I'd do it....but otherwise, I think it'll be fine. I imagine that the BLX esc no matter which variation, ... Arrma would hope we'd use 35C and above
Yeah according to what people are saying here the minimum is 35C 5000mAh for both 3s and 6s vehicles. They have been working fine for now. And I have two of them. I'll make sure to get something with a higher C rating next time. The LHS told me that it would be fine. And they were actually talking about a 6s Outcast when I asked (the C rating). They said that they use 30C all the time on their Outcast with no issues. I'm assuming that my batteries will probably last less like that. I do have a hobby charger for balance charging and storage charging. Thanks.

Yeah according to what people are saying here the minimum is 35C 5000mAh for both 3s and 6s vehicles. They have been working fine for now. And I have two of them. I'll make sure to get something with a higher C rating next time. The LHS told me that it would be fine. And they were actually talking about a 6s Outcast when I asked (the C rating). They said that they use 30C all the time on their Outcast with no issues. I'm assuming that my batteries will probably last less like that. I do have a hobby charger for balance charging and storage charging. Thanks.

I don't mean to suggest that your hobby shop is anything but great but I'm certain they can see a better margin with a lower C rating and therefore would rather sell them first. Just my opinion.
Nonetheless, I believe you'll be fine with 30c. When you get above at 50 or more, I imagine you'll notice punch and performance over sag improve. I'm no electrical authority at all...just an end user.

45-50c and above is where lipos come alive for high demand esc's and motors (6s rigs), Of course higher C=higher $

I've never owned NiMH because I'm a newb... but why are they growing more expensive? I do have several models with brushed motors but only two are trucks. And I've always used lipo. The rest are supposed to fly ? I need to try again. Learn to fly.
Sorry I missed this, I don't get notifications sometimes.

Because most of the factories that used to make NIMH batteries stopped making NIMH and started making Lithium batteries. Pretty much most things that have a rechargeable battery in them now come with lithium batteries. Phones, drills, cameras ect.

Nickel mining is also a well controlled commodity. Hybrid vehicles use Nimh Sub-C Cells also. Super large amounts of them in series. They are technically obsolete. Yet considered safer than Lipo for the automotive industry. Tesla is the leader in Hybrid batteries.
But RC Nim packs are way over priced for what they are. I shopped sub-c nim cells and they average $5-6.00 each. Nickel as a resource is limited. So the price has spiked. There is no reason to purchase Nim packs any longer for any RC product. Lipo's took over as the best alternative. I used to build my own NiCad and Nim packs when it paid off to do it. No more. Its about the Nickel becoming expensive. It can be toxic to manufacture as well. So it is very regulated. I feel lipo revived the RC industry in the early 2000's. With electrics to match. Rigs can be much heavier now and perform better than legacy Nicad or Nim pack powered light weight rigs of the past.

Last edited:
I don't mean to suggest that your hobby shop is anything but great but I'm certain they can see a better margin with a lower C rating and therefore would rather sell them first. Just my opinion.
Nonetheless, I believe you'll be fine with 30c. When you get above at 50 or more, I imagine you'll notice punch and performance over sag improve. I'm no electrical authority at all...just an end user.
Yeah you might be right. They tried to sell me a 6s 30c battery but I told them about the minimum specs that Arrma has put out. So I didn't buy the battery. I did find a 6s battery with 50C and 5000mAh rating that I was looking for at another LHS. It's a lectron pro soft case one. I've heard both good and bad things about lectron pro, but I was in a hurry to get this rig running. I would have probably gone for something that has a better track record, but we'll see. So far so good after like 3 runs, so it's too early to tell.

50C/5000mah seems to be the sweet spot for the 6S rigs. in general, more the mah's and the packs start getting heavier. Then you run into size constraints also. Tight fitting if they fit at all.

Yeah you might be right. They tried to sell me a 6s 30c battery but I told them about the minimum specs that Arrma has put out. So I didn't buy the battery. I did find a 6s battery with 50C and 5000mAh rating that I was looking for at another LHS. It's a lectron pro soft case one. I've heard both good and bad things about lectron pro, but I was in a hurry to get this rig running. I would have probably gone for something that has a better track record, but we'll see. So far so good after like 3 runs, so it's too early to tell.
I have had several Lectron Pro batteries and they perform well. I've also had a couple of them fail pretty quickly, however they replaced them instantly with no questions asked. So when they perform they do well and their Customer Service so far has been top notch.

Regarding batteries in general I've noticed alot of low C rating batteries floating around. At cheaper prices. And they appear tempting. You can squeeze 2 for the price of one. Drones and quads have grown exponentially in sales. Low C rated lipos are used in these Drones. Alot of these low C rated batteries are just filtering into hobby shops and on- line targeting the RC surface segment. Off Roader rigs need higher C's of course.:)
It is dissapoint ng to see a LHS sell them incorrectly for the wrong application. Whether done ignorantly or scrupulously. Might as well shop on line if you are getting that level of service in a LHS. We need to support them of course, that local businessman and all. A little thing like wrong lipo recommendations is inappropriate at a LHS. You go there to make educated purchases. An depend in them. We shouldn't mind spending a little more there for correct information. (y)

Last edited:
Regarding batteries in general I've noticed alot of low C rating batteries floating around. At cheaper prices. And they appear tempting. You can squeeze 2 for the price of one. Drones and quads have grown exponentially in sales. Low C rated lipos are used in these Drones. Alot of these low C rated batteries are just filtering into hobby shops and on- line targeting the RC surface segment. Off Roader rigs need higher C's of course.:)
It is dissapoint ng to see a LHS sell them incorrectly for the wrong application. Whether done ignorantly or scrupulously. Might as well shop on line if you are getting that level of service in a LHS. We need to support them of course, that local businessman and all. A little thing like wrong lipo recommendations is inappropriate at a LHS. You go there to make educated purchases. An depend in them. We shouldn't mind spending a little more there for correct information. (y)
Actually another employee at the LHS did point out that there's a potential for the 30C battery to fail prematurely and swell if it was lower than 30C. So that's a good sign. Yeah, I know exactly what I'm looking for now, so I don't mind pointing things out that I don't agree with someone at the LHS. Respectfully of course. Thanks.
I have had several Lectron Pro batteries and they perform well. I've also had a couple of them fail pretty quickly, however they replaced them instantly with no questions asked. So when they perform they do well and their Customer Service so far has been top notch.
I'm asumming that they were soft case? Did you add tape around them to protect them better? I was thinking about doing that, but would that make them run hotter?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back