Granite Granite BLX dies when getting wet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymi24

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi all,
Just got a new Granite 4x4 3S BLX and the last 2 times my son and I have had it out it almost completely dies if it gets wet. We are not submerging it by any means. We drive through a wet grassy area that does splash some water and then it has barely any power at full throttle after that. We let it sit for a few minutes and then were good to go again.
Any input what would be causing this ? Thanks

My son's brushless ECX Torment does this. The ESC is supposed to be waterproof, but water gets in there and causes problems. Like yours, it works again when dried out. For a while, we were setting the truck under a incandescent desk lamp (with the bulb like 6" from the ESC) to dry it out post runs...

What is funny to me is that it comes back to life after getting wet. Every other ECS I have had with water issues was one shot and done - magic smoke. My ECX/Dynamite ESC has 'died' at least half a dozen times, but still works great once dried out. It is in my son's RC10WC now.

For you, going forward, I'd say try not to get it wet, if you can help it. If you want a wet runner, then either do the warrantee work, or buy a water-proof ESC from Castle or Hobbywing. DO NOT get a cheap ESC and expect it to be waterproof. Those GoolRC/Surpass/Racerstar/Oday ESC's say "Waterproof" on the case, but many of us have proved that to be an outright lie.

My son's brushless ECX Torment does this. The ESC is supposed to be waterproof, but water gets in there and causes problems. Like yours, it works again when dried out. For a while, we were setting the truck under a incandescent desk lamp (with the bulb like 6" from the ESC) to dry it out post runs...

What is funny to me is that it comes back to life after getting wet. Every other ECS I have had with water issues was one shot and done - magic smoke. My ECX/Dynamite ESC has 'died' at least half a dozen times, but still works great once dried out. It is in my son's RC10WC now.

For you, going forward, I'd say try not to get it wet, if you can help it. If you want a wet runner, then either do the warrantee work, or buy a water-proof ESC from Castle or Hobbywing. DO NOT get a cheap ESC and expect it to be waterproof. Those GoolRC/Surpass/Racerstar/Oday ESC's say "Waterproof" on the case, but many of us have proved that to be an outright lie.

Yeah they advertise waterproof but I know it really means resistant. I just didnt figure a little water on it would cause a problem on something advertised as waterproof and wasnt sure if it was a known issue or if I was missing something or doing something wrong before I contacted Horizon.
Thanks for the input, I'm going to see about warranty before I buy any parts for it since it's not even a week old.

We have run two BLX Sentons in the rain and snow without issues. In fact the snow ends up packed into every little nook in there. It hasn't been an issue on our Traxxas trucks either.

Hi all,
Just got a new Granite 4x4 3S BLX and the last 2 times my son and I have had it out it almost completely dies if it gets wet. We are not submerging it by any means. We drive through a wet grassy area that does splash some water and then it has barely any power at full throttle after that. We let it sit for a few minutes and then were good to go again.

I had a similar issue. the waster made it's was into the receiver box under the ESC and would made it go nuts and shut off. I used a little Vaseline on the red water seal around the wires that run to the receiver

It's also possible you're hitting overtemp? Running in grass will raise the temps significantly IME.

What about getting it wet when it's turned off? I ran mines earlier today after it rained and had to hose it down to clean it. Hope All the electronics are okay, I tried not to get em wet but I doubt water didn't get in there.

Hi all,
My Big rock crew cab last week become to start stop hesitation when full throttle, I diassemble the receiver box for see if I had bad connection and finally I see the esc wire was half cut and stuck between the receiver and the cover from factory assemble.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back