Granite Granite BLX Extended Arms, Turnbuckles, and Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Let me say thank you guys for the PMs and help... @jondilly1974 @Peteyk49 @Yonic (y)

I am not posting anything new nor reinventing the wheel. I just wanted to share my info so if people like myself who like the search maybe this post "might" point then in a direction. I am still on the baby bottle in the arena :)

Arms/Turnbuckles
I removed my RPM Granite arms and HR 17mm extenders to replace them with RPM Typhon 3S arms. I also replaced all 6 turnbuckles with Typhon 3S 48mm buckles. I am not saying this is right however based on a post I found and info I could gather:

Turnbuckles
front: 82mm (eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 8mm for each side
back: 82mm (eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 8mm for each side
steering: 69mm (eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 6mm for each side

The first drive the steering was still straight no steering adjustments needed and the camber and toe looked the same as before by eye. Had the same look if you were looking down at it from a birds-eye-view.

IMG_20200722_213720.jpg

Tires
Yes, I removed my 17mm Proline Bandland MX 2.8" tires which were vented for the below....

I just like white letters on the tires....just a personal choice on look. In doing so as mentioned above, I went from 17mm back to 14mm hex so I can use the 4 sets of tires I have (Duratrax Lockups & Stakkers, Dboot that come with the Granite one the Mega all-black rims and other BLX black chrome rims).

From my research seems many have major issues with the Duratrax...I have only seen that in reference to the Duratrax Six Pack tires posted here recently not the Stakker or Lockups. I am a baby basher so small jumps but lots of construction, rocky, dirty, wooded areas where I run my Granite. The Stakkers hookup dang good and I have had no issues. I plan to run the Lockups next. Maybe I am just lucky of just too careful. Naww...the rig takes some hits and bad crashes and few tree swipes and head on tree hits. No broken parts yet...did I just kill my luck :) I will add the Stakkers have a LOT of tire wobble compared to the Bandlands. On my balancer the rim is straight but the tire does some shake, wobble and rolling. I had to use more clay on them to balance compared to the Bandlands but I do and did balance all my tires. When running it the wobble has no effect and does not show in motion.

Venting...I did not vent the Stakkers. The material does look cheap-ish compared to the Bandland so it "felt" to me if I put a hole in it would lead to issues. I added the o-rings on the tire which I got from another user in a search a few months back.

Ballooning... so here is what's odd. On the bench stand if I gun the rig the tires balloon with the o-rings almost about the same as without the o-rings. HOWEVER, when I run the rig/bashing at full throttle it does not balloon. They hold the box tire shape and do not balloon. Yes, you get a slight arch of course but nowhere to any signs of ballooning. I cannot understand why...my "guess" maybe with the ground contact it helps the o-rings to keep the tire shape compared to an open bench test. Very, very happy with this so it adds to the reason for not venting the Stakkers. In comparison, the Bandlands were vented with inside holes taped...on full throttle, they clearly ballooned but always hooked up.

IMG_20200722_214122.jpg

@GRC so far the arms and turnbuckles are doing well...2 bashes today and 1 in mud after summer store hit

IMG_20200722_213856.jpg

My Typhon arms/hexes/axles arrived today. I'm holding off on installing them. Right now my Hot Racing setup is holding up. I'm going to wait until something breaks.

Could I get links to the arms please? I would love to hook my granite up with this same set up.

Thanks,
Breezy

Could I get links to the arms please? I would love to hook my granite up with this same set up.

Thanks,
Breezy
Sure.

Front
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ar...ont-suspension-arm-set-black-rpm80762/p971513

Rear
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ar...ear-suspension-arm-set-black-rpm80842/p976319

Need the longer turnbuckles the Granite stock will not have enough length on the ends. Need 6
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-4x48mm-steel-turnbuckle-2-ara330542/p873083

Putting on the longer arms was my first step into making my Granite a Big Rock and Typhon by swapping to the lwb chassis. The only thing left for me to do is to buy some better quality MT tires. But since it’s the dead of winter, I don’t see that happening anytime soon as I don’t want to break anything in this cold. I have been looking at the Duratrax Stakker and Badlands. I’m leaning more towards the Duratrax but I also have the 12mm to 17mm hexes on it which makes the stance a little bit wider.

Putting on the longer arms was my first step into making my Granite a Big Rock and Typhon by swapping to the lwb chassis. The only thing left for me to do is to buy some better quality MT tires. But since it’s the dead of winter, I don’t see that happening anytime soon as I don’t want to break anything in this cold. I have been looking at the Duratrax Stakker and Badlands. I’m leaning more towards the Duratrax but I also have the 12mm to 17mm hexes on it which makes the stance a little bit wider.

Duratrax takes a lot of negative hits here I understand why, cheap.... Personally, I like them but I am not an advanced driver like some of those YT guys but I can handle it well if we are not 12ft jumps. Duratrax tires do need some attention I find them seriously out of balance and takes a lot of clay to get them balanced. Not the best QC when they put them together. They feel cheap compared to Badlands but they hold well for my level or RC bashing and they hook up good on dirt, rocks, grass, etc. I am a small jumper and they handle well for my level and bashing across the terrain. I am using the 7mm nut that is a Traxxas serrated wider nut and it bits better than the Arrma OEM nut which has small serration. I do have a package of 17mm Badlands but have not thought twice at this point to remove my Badland Stakkers from the Granite or Big Rock.

My Typhon arms/hexes/axles arrived today. I'm holding off on installing them. Right now my Hot Racing setup is holding up. I'm going to wait until something breaks.
What is your HR set up? Can you share some info?

Turnbuckles
front: 82mm (eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 8mm for each side
back: 82mm (eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 8mm for each side
steering: 69mm (eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 6mm for each side

Hello can you explain to me like if I was 5 by "(eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 8mm for each side". Sorry Im brand new and I want make my granite wider. TIA.

Hello can you explain to me like if I was 5 by "(eye-eye center) or from center buckle first thread to rod end is about 8mm for each side". Sorry Im brand new and I want make my granite wider. TIA.

Eye to eye center is the distance between the pivot balls on center.

As an example in this photo I am measuring the eye to eye distance of the shocks.

20171028_213220.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back