Granite BLX Overheating - Castle Sidewinder ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordell12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
So got my son a Granite BLX, fun little truck when it works. The ESC seems to overheat pretty fast. Running 3s packs (esc rated for 3s) and it goes into thermal protection at 180 degrees. I have no fan, and seen Castle has a fan for this esc but the RPMs are 10k. Was wondering if anyone has rigged a WTF or YeahRacing fan on the esc, or has any idea what we might can do?

Looking for recommendations...Go!

edit...when I say fast, I mean we cant even run a pack through it. I'm talking within 5 minutes it heated.

Let us know if the fan makes any difference @cordell12

I cut down one if them cheap Castle blower fans, zip tied it over the ESC and it helped. This fan I ordered should do the job. Also cut the battery from 45c to a 20c, not sure it that makes a difference though.

I cut down one if them cheap Castle blower fans, zip tied it over the ESC and it helped. This fan I ordered should do the job. Also cut the battery from 45c to a 20c, not sure it that makes a difference though.

That changes the strain your putting on the battery, but can also cause the esc to overheat because it can't pull the amps it needs. 20C is pretty low, so keep an eye on pack temps as well. It's surprising how many amps even the smaller 1/10 esc's pull when mashing the throttle.

Curious for follow up on this, I'm looking to put the Castle SV3 / SCT (with fan) on a Granite BLX with stock motor, or possibly Castle combo wtih 3800kv motor. Is it still too hot on 3s? Stock motor and gearing?

I’m not sure about the OP, but all the sidewinders (except the 4 and the 8) tended to overheat in 4wd monster trucks especially on 3s. Sometimes you could get away with running it, but it’d be working real hard it’s whole life and most likely have a short lifespan. Maybe it’ll get by in the winter.

I'm really only interested in running 2s and using the Sidewinder ESC because of software programming options, but maybe some day upgrade to 3s power. I guess I'll just have to switch back to the stock ESC or go to a Mamba 1/10 ESC for that in the future. I'm sure it will run fine on 2s only, just curious.

I'm really only interested in running 2s and using the Sidewinder ESC because of software programming options, but maybe some day upgrade to 3s power. I guess I'll just have to switch back to the stock ESC or go to a Mamba 1/10 ESC for that in the future. I'm sure it will run fine on 2s only, just curious.
In that case yup, should be totally fine

I had a Sidewinder 4 and it was garbage. I ran it in my Granite and it thermaled all the time. Eventually it just died. Even the MambaX I replaced it with failed on me. All the female motor ports became unsoldered. I have to contact Castle at some point.

Curious for follow up on this, I'm looking to put the Castle SV3 / SCT (with fan) on a Granite BLX with stock motor, or possibly Castle combo wtih 3800kv motor. Is it still too hot on 3s? Stock motor and gearing?
I ran the sct sv3/3800kv setup in my stampede 4x4 vxl for over a year on 2S with trencher 2.8's. It did just fine in that geared to run around 40mph. The motor would get warm in the summer (150-160), but a fan helped with that.

It didn't care for 3S much though. Even geared low, it would chatter off the line and the motor really howled. I didn't run it too long with that setup on 3S though as I snapped the shaft off the end of the motor.

I'm only mentioning it because the stampede 4x4 is a bit larger/heavier than the granite.

I now have a max10 sct and hobbystar 3665 3200kv motor in it and I only run 3S. Was acting a little odd the last time I had it out, but I think it was the pack's age starting to show.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back