Granite Granite Blx V3 trouble out of the box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetron22

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Fresh out of the box 3s Granite Blx V3. It has never been ran. When pushing it i hear this GRINDING SOUND. I pulled off the motor and spur section and inspected the spur/pinion gear mesh..... looks good. When spinning both tires it feels skittish, like chunky if that makes sense, even with the motor section removed. Should I return it(I just picked it up yesterday) or dig deeper or perhaps this is normal(doubtful)? I have never heard this on my old granite.

Since you have experience with your old Granite. Follow your gut feeling and call HH. (y) (y)
I say not normal. Dig deeper and consider HH warranty based on what you find, or just return it for a replacement. Your call.
Good that you were keen on checking it out on the bench before running these NRTR's. ("Not" so Ready to Run rigs). :LOL:

I've just watched the video. The cranking, juddering sounds are entirely normal to begin with until the plastic gears bed in a bit

But if you're happy to take it apart further, I would advise to check the mesh of the diff pinion and ring gear anyway, as this could also contribute to the noise. I found mine were a bit too tight from the factory, so I shimmed the ring gear away from the pinion a little. If they're too tight, after a few good runs you'll notice the teeth will begin to look sharp and shark fin-shaped

Either way, run it as it is I'd say ?

Mine sounds like that too. The motor turning in the magnetic field causes the gears to stutter like that. The plastic spurgear makes that sound. But, like its been recommended, check the mesh between the pinion and spurgear. Are there washers under the motor screws? Mine were missing. If not, you should install some and loctite the screws. The factory tightend the motor screws so tight that adjusting the mesh without washers was impossible. When I tightend them, the mesh slid back too close. Since I've installed washers the problem is gone.
razorrc has a video on how it's done.

Mine sounds like that too. The motor turning in the magnetic field causes the gears to stutter like that. The plastic spurgear makes that sound. But, like its been recommended, check the mesh between the pinion and spurgear. Are there washers under the motor screws? Mine were missing. If not, you should install some and loctite the screws. The factory tightend the motor screws so tight that adjusting the mesh without washers was impossible. When I tightend them, the mesh slid back too close. Since I've installed washers the problem is gone.
razorrc has a video on how
That mesh is good. So you're saying that's normal then if the mesh is good? That's just me pushing the car under no power.
I've just watched the video. The cranking, juddering sounds are entirely normal to begin with until the plastic gears bed in a bit

But if you're happy to take it apart further, I would advise to check the mesh of the diff pinion and ring gear anyway, as this could also contribute to the noise. I found mine were a bit too tight from the factory, so I shimmed the ring gear away from the pinion a little. If they're too tight, after a few good runs you'll notice the teeth will begin to look sharp and shark fin-shaped

Either way, run it as it is I'd say ?
I kinda had that thought too, hence me asking and not just bringing it back to swap right away. So you think it will lessen after a couple runs and nothing is wrong?
I'm relatively new as this is only my 2nd rc. My first one was the brushed granite that I upgraded to 3s with the 17t pinion. Its fun but a lot of the components just keep giving out at that power level. 2s its all good and still runs 40 mph.

@davetron22, Based on your other Granite, you feel it's not normal?????
Based on the above posts, maybe it is normal. Your gut feeling says no? Thats ultimately your call. Run as is and see if it fails or not?
Hard to say from where I am sitting. ?‍♂️

That mesh is good. So you're saying that's normal then if the mesh is good? That's just me pushing the car under no power.
Yes, when you turn the motor shaft, you'll notice that that the magnet inside the motor won't allow you to evenly turn the shaft. You'll feel a resistance and when you turn past the magnetic force, the shaft will spring a bit forward. Not a native speaker, so I have difficulty explaining. Anyway, that happens when you push the truck without power.
When the motor is running that doesn't happen. Put in a battery, hold the truck in your hand push the throttle. The motor should run evenly and you won't hear that noise.

razorrc has a video on how it's done.
Mine is all good with that mesh. I thought maybe something is off by the planetary gears or something?
Yes, when you turn the motor shaft, you'll notice that that the magnet inside the motor won't allow you to evenly turn the shaft. You'll feel a resistance and when you turn past the magnetic force, the shaft will spring a bit forward. Not a native speaker, so I have difficulty explaining. Anyway, that happens when you push the truck without power.
When the motor is running that doesn't happen. Put in a battery, hold the truck in your hand push the throttle. The motor should run evenly and you won't hear that noise.
Yes your correct it sounds fine under power however even with the motor removed it feels irregular when pushed
@davetron22, Based on your other Granite, you feel it's not normal?????
Based on the above posts, maybe it is normal. Your gut feeling says no? Thats ultimately your call. Run as is and see if it fails or not?
Hard to say from where I am sitting. ?‍♂️
My first one was the brushed granite that I upgraded to brushless 3s with the 17t pinion. Its fun but a lot of the components just keep giving out at that power level. So now it's my son's that he runs on 2s (he's 7). It is definitely a different feel than I remember from when I first got my other one.

Last edited:
Describe "irregular" please. The diffs are filled with oil so pushing the truck without the motor attached does cause some resistance. I don't think you should hear any choppy noises though. I must admit that I've never pushed my truck without the motor in place. My truck hangs on a wall by the wheelie bar when I store it. I occaisonally turn a front wheel that is not in touch with the wall (just to play with it) and do feel a resistance while watching the other wheel turn in the opposite direction. That is caused by the diff.
Overall I don't see anything being wrong.

You initially stated with the power module removed it was binding/ clicking. That is Not a good sign.
Did I read you correctly??? ?‍♂️ Motor, mesh etc, wasn't part of the equation. Correct??

Monsters will always get the best of you. :ROFLMAO:
Hey better safe than sorry with these NRTR's?‍♂️
Video shows quite normal for sure.(y)

You initially stated with the power module removed it was binding/ clicking. That is Not a good sign.
Did I read you correctly??? ?‍♂️ Motor, mesh etc, wasn't part of the equation. Correct??
If by power module you mean the part including motor, spur and pinion then yes. Motor mesh is good.
Watch his video. He has the PM installed while pushing the truck.
Video of sound- With motor pulled
Watch his video. He has the PM installed while pushing the truck.

Last edited:
If by power module you mean the part including motor, spur and pinion then yes. Motor mesh is good.

OK, still sounds normal. What you might be hearing as a grinding noise is probably the universal joints rotating. They are at quite an angle with no battery and motor installed. The car flattens out a bit with the extra weight.
The car is plastic and the chassis works as a resonator for any vibration noise. Btw, the diffs don't have planetary gears on the V3. Anyway, also consider that your gears are not broken in yet. After running a battery they'll smooth out a little. And finally, my V3 is exactly the same and runs great.
I'm anxious to read what you think the whining noise is while running the car outside. ;)

Sounds normal to me.

OK, still sounds normal. What you might be hearing as a grinding noise is probably the universal joints rotating. They are at quite an angle with no battery and motor installed. The car flattens out a bit with the extra weight.
The car is plastic and the chassis works as a resonator for any vibration noise. Btw, the diffs don't have planetary gears on the V3. Anyway, also consider that your gears are not broken in yet. After running a battery they'll smooth out a little. And finally, my V3 is exactly the same and runs great.
I'm anxious to read what you think the whining noise is while running the car outside. ;)
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. The $ spent is a lot to me, I just don't want to wreck something right away especially when it isn't user error. I'm going to run it and see what happens. Just got snow here too so it may be a bit now before I can play.

Snow is a lot of fun with those trucks! Just more work after to remove the slush and dry it well.
If you try be careful with ice boulders or holes made by footprints in snow fields. I found out it can be hard on cheap stock servos...

We have a Granite Mega and just added a BRCC V3 (completely different beast, what a blast) and both had the same sound with PM removed when new. Like others said I think it is mostly not broken in diff plastic ring and universal joints. Go have fun with it and your worries will soon switch to the next issue, haha.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. The $ spent is a lot to me, I just don't want to wreck something right away especially when it isn't user error. I'm going to run it and see what happens. Just got snow here too so it may be a bit now before I can play.
Well, we help one another if we can. Not too experienced myself, but I got to love my V3 and have learned very much here, on youtube and by experience. You've purchased a heavy-duty truck. Things are a little sluggish with it. Compare it to pushing a racecar and a tank. You got more of a tank.
When you run it, you'll hear a pretty loud whining sound. don't worry about that either. I don't really know what it is (ESC or motor), but thats normal too. Look at some youtube videos about the Granite V3 to learn which sounds are normal.

I would avoid snow. Snow is eventually water and getting water in your bearings and moving parts is not good. Read up on the post here where a guy posts that he landed his Granite in a pond. Not good for bearings and screws (rust). You'll have to strip down the truck in the worst case. Also check up here what is posted about what to do before you run the truck. I've posted where you should stick a strip of tape to keep sand/dust out of your motor gears.

Have fun and enjoy your runs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back