Granite Granite boost 4x2 powering when everything is switched off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you decide to move away from toy shop products like $50-$100 because every single one has died after a day, you'd expect better when you spend $400+ on Hobby grade. šŸ˜… Im new to this world of Hobby grade rc, I did stacks of research and non of the rc guys mentioned the esc or motor being cheap and nastie. And I thought I was doing the right thing buying my son a brushed upgradable product.. he is 5. I plan to get myself a blx or krayton. What I'd love to know is if there is a way to reset the esc or something.
Granite 4x2 Boost is only $199 not $400. Granite 4x4 3s BLX is $339. You would have been better off buying the BLX model and run it on a 2s battery. At least the electronics are better quality plus it's 4 wheel drive. Would have saved money in the long run.

Granite 4x2 Boost is only $199 not $400. Granite 4x4 3s BLX is $339. You would have been better off buying the BLX model and run it on a 2s battery. At least the electronics are better quality plus it's 4 wheel drive. Would have saved money in the long run.
I'm in Australia they are $449 retail here

Oh my..
That's Quite a bit of markup ,down under... šŸ™
Yep and the blx is $699 I managed to get the boost on sale for $370 so you can see it was almost half the price of the blx. I was going to get the blx but thought maybe I was better off with brushed for my 5 yr old then I'd buy myself a kraton. Of all the reviews I read, no one said the electronics were cheap or nasty so I still expected it to last more then one run. I'm sorry my Inexperience has meant I learn this but as a newbie I have to start somewhere even if it's disheartening. But HH have already responded to my email and the process has started with hopefully a replacement. Can anyone recommend a a lipo charger/discharger as the one I have is confusing to use and the battery side of things really confuses me.

Yep and the blx is $699 I managed to get the boost on sale for $370 so you can see it was almost half the price of the blx. I was going to get the blx but thought maybe I was better off with brushed for my 5 yr old then I'd buy myself a kraton. Of all the reviews I read, no one said the electronics were cheap or nasty so I still expected it to last more then one run. I'm sorry my Inexperience has meant I learn this but as a newbie I have to start somewhere even if it's disheartening. But HH have already responded to my email and the process has started with hopefully a replacement. Can anyone recommend a a lipo charger/discharger as the one I have is confusing to use and the battery side of things really confuses me.

That's quite a bit of money to invest in for a toy for a 5 year old!

Understood.

There's absolutely no need to be sorry.
You're doing the best you can and have invested a good amount of money for your 5 year old son. And, a brushed system is completely in the right for kids under 10yrs of age... I would have made the same decision.
As a parent of 2 little ones myself, I commend you.
You're doing great!

Arrma should have provided clearer warnings of how to properly handle the delicate electronics they put into these entry-level toys ,or at least made them a bit more beginner proof..

Glad to hear HH is on it and hopefully will get you and your son back up and enjoying this nice hobby very soon.

If you need any help with the replacement install.. don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll do our best to assist.

Didn't realize you were in Australia. There are always other aftermarket options also. If you wanna keep it brushed you can get a Hobbywing brushed ESC and a new motor for a fairly reasonable price that will be much more reliable than the stock Arrma brushed electronics.

Another thing to think about is that the stock RTR servo in your Granite is also cheap, underpowered and will soon crap out on you. You might wanna buy a spare servo to have on hand for when it happens to avoid a long downtime so your son won't be disappointed again.

So about $280 usd. Not too bad. Think Canada is
Either way I purchased a premium product for a young kid rather then the usual toy shop offers, atleast here in austrlia anyway. For someone so new the world of Hobby Rc thought this was a good place to start. I like the truck. everything feels like such good quality I just think we have hit a bit of bad luck this time around.

Didn't realize you were in Australia. There are always other aftermarket options also. If you wanna keep it brushed you can get a Hobbywing brushed ESC and a new motor for a fairly reasonable price that will be much more reliable than the stock Arrma brushed electronics.

Another thing to think about is that the stock RTR servo in your Granite is also cheap, underpowered and will soon crap out on you. You might wanna buy a spare servo to have on hand for when it happens to avoid a long downtime so your son won't be disappointed again.
Yes, I did know about the servo and would like to get one. Can you make a recommendation that would suit? Could you give me more details of this Hobby wing ESC and motor? I'd like to look into this. Thank you.

Yes, I did know about the servo and would like to get one. Can you make a recommendation that would suit? Could you give me more details of this Hobby wing ESC and motor? I'd like to look into this. Thank you.
Hobbywing brushed ESC: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...wPXtuuTMl4TZreB5SKP1Zv7j0sQFqGxwaAkJ7EALw_wcB

Dynamite 540 Brushed Motor: https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynami...cYBmiRrT8bqgkmo5MnDbKkqyXSvs3ZGoaAkaGEALw_wcB

25kg Servo:
ZOSKAY Servo High Torque Metal Gear Standard Digital Servo 25KG/0.13S 6.8V for 1/8 1/10 RC Cars(Control Angle 180) https://a.co/d/izN9047

25t Servo Saver:
ARRMA Servo Saver Set 25T ARAC8883 Elec Car/Truck Replacement Parts https://a.co/d/52X1XeQ

Hobbywing brushed ESC: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...wPXtuuTMl4TZreB5SKP1Zv7j0sQFqGxwaAkJ7EALw_wcB

Dynamite 540 Brushed Motor: https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynami...cYBmiRrT8bqgkmo5MnDbKkqyXSvs3ZGoaAkaGEALw_wcB

25kg Servo:
ZOSKAY Servo High Torque Metal Gear Standard Digital Servo 25KG/0.13S 6.8V for 1/8 1/10 RC Cars(Control Angle 180) https://a.co/d/izN9047

25t Servo Saver:
ARRMA Servo Saver Set 25T ARAC8883 Elec Car/Truck Replacement Parts https://a.co/d/52X1XeQ
thanks for all the links. I've been able to find them on Aussie online stores. Can i Use the hobbywing esc with the arrma motor? Horizon hobby have referred me to make a claim through the store I purchased from. hopefully they will help me out.
thanks for the help.

That's quite a bit of money to invest in for a toy for a 5 year old!

Understood.

There's absolutely no need to be sorry.
You're doing the best you can and have invested a good amount of money for your 5 year old son. And, a brushed system is completely in the right for kids under 10yrs of age... I would have made the same decision.
As a parent of 2 little ones myself, I commend you.
You're doing great!

Arrma should have provided clearer warnings of how to properly handle the delicate electronics they put into these entry-level toys ,or at least made them a bit more beginner proof..

Glad to hear HH is on it and hopefully will get you and your son back up and enjoying this nice hobby very soon.

If you need any help with the replacement install.. don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll do our best to assist.
thanks so much for your kind comment. Arrma did have a full clear page stating how to turn on and off. I just bypassed the instructions because id watched so many videos and no one had mentioned that before. My son was so excited I was just confident to plug her up and go. live and learn... HH have referred me back to the store of purchase so hopefully they can help me out. ill keep you posted (y)

thanks for all the links. I've been able to find them on Aussie online stores. Can i Use the hobbywing esc with the arrma motor? Horizon hobby have referred me to make a claim through the store I purchased from. hopefully they will help me out.
thanks for the help.
Yes you can use the Arrma brushed motor with the Hobbywing ESC but the Arrma motor is not very good and will soon burn out.

There's a lot of doom and gloom in this thread crikey!

I am in the same position as you. My VXL Merv is too fast and fragile for my 5 year old, let alone the 6S and 8S stuff so after a lot of research I bought her a Granite Mega 4x2. Money wasn't the issue, I just wanted a car that was right for the kid and I think you have made the right decision with that car. I was going to buy a 3S Granite, but I will just end up using it and breaking it and then the kid won't be happy. We took it out for the first time last night and it is perfect for her. If in a few months it still interests her, we will add 4wd to it, a few months later as her skills improve, we can add brushless. And then she can learn about installing that when we do it together rather than buying something and turning the power down.

It is very easy to look at things with a blinkered view, and because it isn't the best in the lineup, I am sure people will look at it negatively. For your (or our) brief of a robust, not too fast, upgradable car for a 5 year old, I struggle to think of anything better tbh.

I would let the hobby store replace the stock ESC for now and run it for a while. If it fails a second time, upgrade it. I see some shade being thrown at the stock servo which I don't think is warranted either. It probably won't last the longest, but it has more than adequate power and speed for the stock truck. So much so, she handed me the controller and I flipped it within 5 seconds as the turn in is a lot quicker than my 6s OC I was playing with.

Breakages happen and it is part of the hobby. It is just annoying when something like this happens! Stick with it, it gets better :giggle:

There's a lot of doom and gloom in this thread crikey!

I am in the same position as you. My VXL Merv is too fast and fragile for my 5 year old, let alone the 6S and 8S stuff so after a lot of research I bought her a Granite Mega 4x2. Money wasn't the issue, I just wanted a car that was right for the kid and I think you have made the right decision with that car. I was going to buy a 3S Granite, but I will just end up using it and breaking it and then the kid won't be happy. We took it out for the first time last night and it is perfect for her. If in a few months it still interests her, we will add 4wd to it, a few months later as her skills improve, we can add brushless. And then she can learn about installing that when we do it together rather than buying something and turning the power down.

It is very easy to look at things with a blinkered view, and because it isn't the best in the lineup, I am sure people will look at it negatively. For your (or our) brief of a robust, not too fast, upgradable car for a 5 year old, I struggle to think of anything better tbh.

I would let the hobby store replace the stock ESC for now and run it for a while. If it fails a second time, upgrade it. I see some shade being thrown at the stock servo which I don't think is warranted either. It probably won't last the longest, but it has more than adequate power and speed for the stock truck. So much so, she handed me the controller and I flipped it within 5 seconds as the turn in is a lot quicker than my 6s OC I was playing with.

Breakages happen and it is part of the hobby. It is just annoying when something like this happens! Stick with it, it gets better :giggle:
Heya thanks for your post. Yeah I did kinda feel like I was getting a slap on the wrist haha. Its all been sorted now. The hobby shop sent me upgraded replacement parts through warranty and its going great. It was great to work it out and put it all together. I really enjoyed it. My son is so happy now. I think it's a great truck for him. I'm looking at getting the krayton 4s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back