Granite Granite Diff Gear Housing Tightening Screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Hi

On the Granite 3S BLX how tight do I tighten the diff gear housing screws?

What I mean it's smooth as butter after I put the two sides on holding the bearings and input gear without the screws. Once I begin to tighten, the gear ring and input gear become hard to turn...like a grind, catch-catch-catch feel to it...not smooth when I did my Infraction although those were metal ring heads and input.

So what is the ring feel? I have not put it back in the Granite yet but I did back off the two screws where to me they are not as tight...but I feel they can be tighter. However, it has somewhat of free turn to it but still has a catch-catch, grindy feel but it does roll nothing like when I had those two tight. I watched @razorrc video and I did move the shim away from the ring gear side to the other.

1591142831305.png

1591142911227.png

1591142949517.png

Those 2 piece plastic yolks are slightly different, one has a little notch on the inside and the other doesn't. I found that if I put them in opposite of how I took them apart it will bind when tightened. Try reversing them and make sure your bearing shim is on the correct side.

Attachments

• 20200423_165631.jpg
    20200423_165631.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 31
Hi

On the Granite 3S BLX how tight do I tighten the diff gear housing screws?

What I mean it's smooth as butter after I put the two sides on holding the bearings and input gear without the screws. Once I begin to tighten, the gear ring and input gear become hard to turn...like a grind, catch-catch-catch feel to it...not smooth when I did my Infraction although those were metal ring heads and input.

So what is the ring feel? I have not put it back in the Granite yet but I did back off the two screws where to me they are not as tight...but I feel they can be tighter. However, it has somewhat of free turn to it but still has a catch-catch, grindy feel but it does roll nothing like when I had those two tight. I watched @razorrc video and I did move the shim away from the ring gear side to the other.

View attachment 83877

View attachment 83878

View attachment 83879
I recommand you to keep the shim where it was from stock the sungear and corwn gear have to break in to achive the perfect gearmesh its normal if the diff is a bit rough after the screws are tightened
F43A10CD-E04B-4297-869D-A166635E9773.jpeg
0AB2E1BF-8F3B-4ABD-B16F-A85D336788F4.jpeg

I thought the sungear should not wear under use like that but after getting my tyohon and seeing this it makes completly sense so personally me i flush the grease out and refill after a few runs until the gears are fully meshed
I was panicking i remplace my previous rear diff because of this it doesn't have a great gear mesh because i moved the shim to the ither side causing the sun gear to wear more than it should have

It looks like you do have it assembled correctly. I tend to agree that the shim should stay on the gear side. While the shim appears to be quite thin, it is 0.2mm thick so moving it over to the other side will increase the distance between gears by 0.4mm. That is too much. These gears are triangular cut so they are going to wear by design.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back