Granite Granite diffs stripped after CVD driveshaft install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwatchTV

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
As the title suggests, I installed a set of the Arrma CVD sliders after getting frustrated with popping the stock driveshafts (despite adjusting the slipper).

Within a couple of days the diff case and spur gear stripped!

Do I just buy another stock diff and spur or can anyone recommend a metal one that available in the UK?

I see hot racing do one, but postage is rather steep.

Also I'm running a EZRUN Combo MAX10 SCT 3660SL 3200kv setup

You are chasing the weak link. Need to get the steel spur, and at least aluminum yokes for the diffs, if not full metal. Using the aluminum yoke and make sure to add a shim to keep tight mesh, should be good.

You are chasing the weak link. Need to get the steel spur, and at least aluminum yokes for the diffs, if not full metal. Using the aluminum yoke and make sure to add a shim to keep tight mesh, should be good.

Good reply

I added the CVD have not seen the issue yet but my run time has been limited due to fam... any recommendations on those parts so we here can research..

Thx

If you're popping driveshafts and stripping differentials I'm guessing you drive pretty hard on the throttle. Loosening the slipper will help. A metal diff and input gear should also help, the Hot Racing and Arrma upgrades are the only ones I know of. Both are pricey.

It's cheaper to learn how to set the slipper than it is to try to convert the whole car to steel.
If you read my post properly, I have set the slipper.

I'm not alone on this problem. Friend of mine has same issue with his Big Rock and there's a few diffrent posts on here with people saying the things still pop after setting it.

While I wouldn't say I'm the best driver, I certainly wouldn't say I'm too heavy on the throttle. I'm not one to be pulling off too many back/front flips and try to make a point of easing the throttle on.

If you read my post properly, I have set the slipper.

I'm not alone on this problem. Friend of mine has same issue with his Big Rock and there's a few diffrent posts on here with people saying the things still pop after setting it.

While I wouldn't say I'm the best driver, I certainly wouldn't say I'm too heavy on the throttle. I'm not one to be pulling off too many back/front flips and try to make a point of easing the throttle on.
I love my all steel Granite. Have CVDs, steel slipper, and all steel diff and input gears. Also have the aluminum yokes on both diffs.

Was it costly to get there...yes. but I have the slipper full tight, drive like I don't care, and have no issues. I punch it when nose up to curbs and do backflips. I ride wheelies, slam on brakes and powerslide. I brake so hard on street full speed runs I bring the rear wheels up and do a stoppie. I have done all this for months and had zero issues. I love it. It is built like a tank!

Well I've ordered a standard crown and spur for now as steel isn't available until back end of August. Will set my slipper again and see how it goes,

Well I've ordered a standard crown and spur for now as steel isn't available until back end of August. Will set my slipper again and see how it goes,
When you learn how to set the slipper right you’ll have less issues. Like razorrc said. Seems like you pretty much know what you’re doing though… or at least are convinced that you do.

When you learn how to set the slipper right you’ll have less issues. Like razorrc said. Seems like you pretty much know what you’re doing though… or at least are convinced that you do.
I've always followed @jondilly1974 youtube vid on how to set it.

Anyway, had a bit of a mad moment while looking for parts on www.makeitbuildit.co.uk and ended up buying a Kraton 6s :D

Last edited:
Anyway, had a bit of a mad moment while looking for parts on www.makeitbuildit.co.uk and ended up buying a Kraton 6s :D

Haha that will solve the issue. Just run it on 4s or you'll be in the same boat (jokes).
I love my all steel Granite. Have CVDs, steel slipper, and all steel diff and input gears. Also have the aluminum yokes on both diffs.

Was it costly to get there...yes. but I have the slipper full tight, drive like I don't care, and have no issues. I punch it when nose up to curbs and do backflips. I ride wheelies, slam on brakes and powerslide. I brake so hard on street full speed runs I bring the rear wheels up and do a stoppie. I have done all this for months and had zero issues. I love it. It is built like a tank!

I would like to do this to one of my Arrmas but it would just about set me back the cost of a new 3s BLX.

Maybe just one of them might get this treatment ... hmmm would be F awesome.

Haha that will solve the issue. Just run it on 4s or you'll be in the same boat (jokes).

I would like to do this to one of my Arrmas but it would just about set me back the cost of a new 3s BLX.

Maybe just one of them might get this treatment ... hmmm would be F awesome.
That's the thing. I was adding it up and thought blimey might as well buy a vorteks or something 🤔

I've always followed @jondilly1974 youtube vid on how to set it.
As I said before, you should loosen the slipper. That method results in a fully tightened slipper. I loosen 1-1/2 turns from fully tight. I think one full turn is minimum to reduce popped driveshafts, some go as loose as 2 full turns.

As I said before, you should loosen the slipper. That method results in a fully tightened slipper. I loosen 1-1/2 turns from fully tight. I think one full turn is minimum to reduce popped driveshafts, some go as loose as 2 full turns.
Well hopefully I should have parts tomorrow and give it another go.

Then Kraton hopefully Wednesday.

Then off to skatepark or quarry with my Grandson on Saturday :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back