Granite getting hot. Motor upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylerc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Notorious
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
The main question is does anyone think it will be ok to run This boat motor in the granite, I don’t have much experience with boats and wouldn’t know if the motor design itself would be the same as land.
reason I’m asking is I constantly overheat my granite on 3s and was wondering if a larger motor (step up to 3670) around the same kv would help reduce stress on the electronics.(cooler temps esc was 175° in 50° weather)

i have yet to find jet engines (that won’t break) for cooling stuff the cheap hobby wing fans are garbage and anything else I’ve had all break from jumps and rocks. I’m trying to avoid using fans.

I want to maintain the 50mph speeds too.

I’ve been running the castle Mamba X with the 1415 motor. Ideal setup for the weight of the granite on 3s, highly recommend!

That motor will work, at least for a little while... With the vents in the end bell, it may run cooler. But, dirt will has get inside the motor.

Getting the higher KV, close to 3000 get hard as you get bigger motors. I have seen a lot of 3670 size motors up to about 2500kv, and Castle has their 1415 that is 2600, but hitting 3000kv is hard to find. If speed is your game, you may want to try the lower kv motor, and step up to 4s. Just going to 4s will help the heat a lot too.

Is that desired 50 mph on pavement? or on dirt/grass? Makes a big difference in power needed...

I have the max 10 sct in the truck right now will that handle 4s fine? I know it’s rated for it but never tried yet. But 170s on 3s worries me about 4s.

If you move to 4s and use the same motor and gearing, yeah, the ESC will cook (assuming it is at 170f now). If you move to a 4s with a lower KV motor, change the pinion to make the speed about the same, then the ESC will be seeing less amps, so should run cooler.

And if you really want lots of power, I ran a BLX185/4074 2050kv combo in my Granite for a while (on 3s and 4s). Fits. You will need more ESC than the MAX10SCT, though. And the 4s slipper. And maybe the steel CVD's. But that would get you 50mph without sweating. Assuming your tires don't blow out mid-40mph... :)

Attachments

• 20180420_180533.jpg
    20180420_180533.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 37
Like jerry-rigged said, drop in the blx185 (or similar system) and you will be running cooler. Then, if you want more speed, throw on some 3.8 wheels. Larger wheels have the same effect of going up in teeth in pinion. With the larger motor, lower kv, and larger tired the stock gear ratio should be fine as far as speed is concerned. Now driveline strength...that depends on your rig.

Once I finish my infraction build I'm throwing my blx185 out of my kr6s into my granite (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back