Granite Granite issues- Good News, Bad News

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy470105

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
Good news is that I am the proud owner of a new Arrma Typhoon 3s....
Bad news is my Granite is down again. I have had nothing but bad luck with stuff breaking. I am relatively new getting back into the RC world and the Granite was my first one getting back into it. I don't bash that hard because I am getting used to the new power of the brushless motor compared to what I remember from my old Grasshopper and Blackfoot back in the day.
After getting my Granite within the 1st week my shocks broke, 2nd week had to have the whole spur gear assembly replaced because it was cracked in 2 different places, I had to replace both shock towers, and a bent shock from (my fault) a couple bad landings. The latest was what I thought was just a spur gear or pinion shred, it turned into a bent motor mount, shredded spur gear, shredded pinion gear, and bearings blown on the Spectrum motor it came with. Being new and figuring it might be too much for me to fix I took it to a hobby shop. He told me to get a hold of Horizon Hobby because they knew that there were problems with the Spectrum motor and would have to call them to send a replacement, but I had the day off the next day and wanted to run it.
So I had him put in a BLX motor, new spur, motor mount, pinion gear and get it running for me again. I figured the truck has been down more than I have actually had it running, so I decided to buy a back-up. Hence proud new owner of a Typhoon 3s. Which I love!!!
I took both out to the track ready to run. The typhoon impressed me from the get go. Ran the Granite on the dirt oval, no jumps, and on the 1st battery the front A-arm broke. So now I am waiting for new aluminum arms to come from Amazon. My granite isn't going to be a Granite any more with all the after market parts I have on it.
At least now I have the Typhoon to run while the Granite is down.

Ran the Granite on the dirt oval, no jumps, and on the 1st battery the front A-arm broke.
Hmm... I've run mine the same for months now (I run on a flat course with several turns, bumpy, but no jumps) and haven't had anything break except the obligatory servo after several runs. Is it very cold where you are living? Cracking the gears, bending the shocks etc. is unthinkable to me on my track. Maybe you asked a bit too much from your truck after all?
The pinion is metal. How do you strip that on a plastic spur gear? Even a badly set gear mesh should have only stripped the spur gear.
The Granite is a good truck for the price, but there are some flaws one must deal with for its longevity.

I live in South Florida, rarely gets cold. I mainly run it on a golf course that I run, the dirt tracks, and sometimes on the street in my neighborhood. I know the Granite is a great truck, don't get me wrong I really like the truck. It just seems like my luck everytime I run it something breaks, and when I only had the Granite and I went somewhere to run it and it broke on the 1st battery, it makes for a short, frustrating day out with it.
I don't have to worry about that now that I have both the Granite and Typhoon, if one breaks I have the other.

Bad news is my Granite is down again. I have had nothing but bad luck with stuff breaking. I am relatively new getting back into the RC world and the Granite was my first one getting back into it. I don't bash that hard because I am getting used to the new power of the brushless motor compared to what I remember from my old Grasshopper and Blackfoot back in the day.
After getting my Granite within the 1st week my shocks broke, 2nd week had to have the whole spur gear assembly replaced because it was cracked in 2 different places, I had to replace both shock towers, and a bent shock from (my fault) a couple bad landings. The latest was what I thought was just a spur gear or pinion shred, it turned into a bent motor mount, shredded spur gear, shredded pinion gear, and bearings blown on the Spectrum motor it came with. Being new and figuring it might be too much for me to fix I took it to a hobby shop. He told me to get a hold of Horizon Hobby because they knew that there were problems with the Spectrum motor and would have to call them to send a replacement, but I had the day off the next day and wanted to run it.
So I had him put in a BLX motor, new spur, motor mount, pinion gear and get it running for me again. I figured the truck has been down more than I have actually had it running, so I decided to buy a back-up. Hence proud new owner of a Typhoon 3s. Which I love!!!
I took both out to the track ready to run. The typhoon impressed me from the get go. Ran the Granite on the dirt oval, no jumps, and on the 1st battery the front A-arm broke. So now I am waiting for new aluminum arms to come from Amazon. My granite isn't going to be a Granite any more with all the after market parts I have on it.
IDK what you are doing to the Granite, but mine has been good to me. Of course most of the parts you broke I've upgraded on mine. (steel spur, Typhon 6s shocks) I beat the crap out of my BR and Granite, big sends, skate parks, etc.... Get a 6s rig, they're more durable. Good luck with the Typhon!

Last edited:
You need to work on your driving skills. Aluminum a arms are no no
Or maybe it's cold were you are?

He's in south Florida

I'll 2nd Aluminum A-arms being a no no. The 3S line is known to be pretty durable with cheap and available parts when needed.
Though Arrma's A-arms have a reputation of breaking like this guy

1614552627716.png

Also strange for me... I own also the Granite since Christmas and roughly 15 LIPOs run on it and my only issue has been the Servo that gone after 4 or 5 runs (now quite happy with one of those cheap red ones from amazon)...

I have done some bashing on the field and also running on a dirt track and nothing breaks. Only an small crack on front bumper after a quite hard accident but not really fuinctional.

The only upgrade I've done are RPM a arms and keep serial ones as spare part.

Unfortunately you ended up buying a second rig plagued with the same problems as your Granite. Same rig different body.
Should have bough 1 6s rig from the get go. Instead you have 2 rigs now that will have the same problems. Everyone has these same issues with any of the 4x4's. 🤷‍♂️ Aluminum arms are not the way to go. RPM's arms are a better upgrade. The arms need to flex. You will be back asking why the chassis broke with rigid alloy arms, when arms are better off being flexible. Driver error will be part of that.
I live in South Florida, rarely gets cold. I mainly run it on a golf course that I run, the dirt tracks, and sometimes on the street in my neighborhood. I know the Granite is a great truck, don't get me wrong I really like the truck. It just seems like my luck everytime I run it something breaks, and when I only had the Granite and I went somewhere to run it and it broke on the 1st battery, it makes for a short, frustrating day out with it.
I don't have to worry about that now that I have both the Granite and Typhoon, if one breaks I have the other.
But its just double trouble. Dealing with the same issues now on 2 same rigs.🤷‍♂️
6s is the way to go. At least after having one 4x4. Experience should dictate when to move on. Not repeat the same over and over.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you ended up buying a second rig plagued with the same problems as your Granite. Same rig different body.
Should have bough 1 6s rig from the get go. Instead you have 2 rigs now that will have the same problems. Everyone has these same issues with any of the 4x4's. 🤷‍♂️ Aluminum arms are not the way to go. RPM's arms are a better upgrade. The arms need to flex. You will be back asking why the chassis broke with rigid alloy arms, when arms are better off being flexible. Driver error will be part of that.

But its just double trouble. Dealing with the same issues now on 2 same rigs.🤷‍♂️
6s is the way to go. At least after having one 4x4. Experience should dictate when to move on. Not repeat the same over and over.
Unfortunately you hit the nail right on the head!
I ran 2 batteries through the Typhoon (on 50% on the ESC) on the street, and on the 3rd battery I heard a pop then gears grinding. I was out in front of my house just going up and down the street. I took it back to the Hobby Store that I bought it from and they said that it has been a problem with those engines blowing out the bearings. The hobby shop is gonna replace the motor and any gears under warranty, but said they are out of the motors and waiting for Arrma to send them more. So I don't know how long it is going to take to get it back on the road.
At least I have my Granite up and running ( I ordered plastic RPM Arms and did not put the aluminum ones on.. thanks) while this one is in the shop.... at least till I break something else...

Bottom line is that you have a backup rig 👍. All that matters. And you will become a 4X4 expert soon enough.👍
I could never imagine being without another available running rig for that Sat or Sunday afternoon bash with my son.. :ROFLMAO:
But after 30 Years I do have 17 of them.:)
Enjoy.
Be safe.

Bottom line is that you have a backup rig 👍. All that matters. And you will become a 4X4 expert soon enough.👍
I could never imagine being without another available running rig for that Sat or Sunday afternoon bash with my son.. :ROFLMAO:
But after 30 Years I do have 17 of them.:)
Enjoy.
Be safe.
You are as bad as me. I have 12 helicopters, 3 planes, 4 quadcopters and 2 trucks

^^^ Dam, you don't play around.:LOL:

I go out to bash at my spot and on early sunday mornings, All the air guys are there, and I find myself just watching them in awe. My rigs just sitting there getting mad at me. I am fascinated with Helis and rones and planes. tried it at a young age, and couldnt afford it. In my 20's just got into surface and the track. I want to build a racing 2" drone. FPV ready. Then Goggles down the road once I learn it. There are so many kits out there for cheap.

I go out to bash at my spot and on early sunday mornings, All the air guys are there, and I find myself just watching them in awe. My rigs just sitting there getting mad at me. I am fascinated with Helis and rones and planes. tried it at a young age, and couldnt afford it. In my 20's just got into surface and the track. I want to build a racing 2" drone. FPV ready. Then Goggles down the road once I learn it. There are so many kits out there for cheap.
Flying helicopters is a bit harder than planes and drones. There's a big long learning curve and takes a lot of patience and a steady hand. I'm just recently getting into surface rigs with my 2 trucks cause I had surgery on my elbow and am off work for 3-6 months and needed something to do. Can't fly my helicopters right now cause I can't move my arm good enough yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back