Granite Granite Leaky Shocks Quick Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westy197

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my granite couple of months ago and like lots of people my shocks leak. So I found a quick and simple fix that's worked for me which is to put some plumbers tape around the thread and so far I'm happy to say no more leaks.

Anyway just thought I'd post it in case it's helps others.

I found a guy on Youtube that says that Tamiya 50597 O-Rings works well also as an alternative to ARA716035 part. But I can't find the exact size. The granite V3 part is 2.6mm x 2mm. It should be near.

The V2 and V3 o-rings are both 2.6mm x 2mm. The V3 o-rings are however silicon.

I fixed my Granite leaky shocks problem by using one 2.6x2.2x7mm silicon o-ring and one stock o-ring in the shocks. I couldn't close the plastic cap thingy in the shocks with two larger o-rings in there, so I replaced only one. I used 50wt oil.

A good 3 months and a few packs have passed already and there is still no leak.

I since bought a V3 for parts and I don't even see the need to switch to the newer upgraded shocks. I'll report back if it starts leaking.

As usual when it come to these things, YMMV...

If you can get the new V3 o-rings yet. A couple of have tried and haven't received the new ones yet. They are so cheap, and it's such and easy rebuild, I'm not upset about it, just waiting until I know for sure the silicone ones are in the supply line before I re-order.

I've been back and forth with Horizon on this one. Apparently the V3 o-rings are the same as the V2 o-rings. The only o-ring that did change in the shock is the ARA716036 that goes between the shock cartridge and the shock body.

I've had success using Traxxas x-rings instead.

Theses worked for me
1601590903306.png

Theses worked for me

I was wondering about those. They were used in the 2016 Granite BLXs. I just assumed they stopped using them and replaced them with the newer ones for a reason. Perhaps newer isn't always better.

I've been back and forth with Horizon on this one. Apparently the V3 o-rings are the same as the V2 o-rings. The only o-ring that did change in the shock is the ARA716036 that goes between the shock cartridge and the shock body.

I've had success using Traxxas x-rings instead.
That's interesting to hear because it's the smaller orings that cause the leak. I've never had an issue with the cartridge oring in V1 cars and still use the original orings in them. I only swapped out my small orings to blue Traxxas orings and all leaks are fixed. Also tried some tamiya orings and they fixed the leaks as well.

Arrma o-rings seems impossibe to buy in europe. Which Traxxas O-rings can be used instead? Then I will try those

Arrma o-rings seems impossibe to buy in europe. Which Traxxas O-rings can be used instead? Then I will try those
Traxxas 2362 rebuild kit has the orings included. I've also used Tamiya orings #50597 which have also fixed the leaks for me. Makes sure you use green slime when installing them to help them seal and lubricate the orings. Good luck (y)

Murphy, thanks for the feedback here! Going to pick up the Tamiya O-rings. It appears they are slightly smaller on the ID and slightly larger on the OD, perhaps this is just what Arrma needed all along!? I did have a question though, I have a new Senton V3, do you happen to know if Arrma has fixed this problem in the later versions? I honestly cant believe this has been an issue for so long, if the shock oil leaked in the car or heck even on the shelf I would be irritated to say the least with such a new RC. My 20 year old Traxxas shocks are still fine, hehe. Hey one other thing, any recommendations on keeping garbage out of the Senton/Slash type of RC's? I got a great deal but usually don't buy this style for this reason. Thanks!

On leaking o-rings, I find TA Green Slime is definitely the go to Lube for any shock rebuild, but temperamental leaking bad o-rings can benefit sometimes with soaking the "Silicone" o-rings in pure silicone shock oil overnight in a plastic baggy. Mush them in there. This makes the o-rings swell up to operating size and assembly will be tighter out the gate. Some feel that Green slime or the Protek Shock seal lubes keep them from leaking. Maybe initially.... But Not true. The lube just helps the seals seat and offers initial lube properties. It doesn't last as an o-ring's permanent lube at all. It is just an assembly lube. The silicone shock oil ultimately becomes the o-ring lube after the shocks are put in use.
Just my thoughts.

Murphy, thanks for the feedback here! Going to pick up the Tamiya O-rings. It appears they are slightly smaller on the ID and slightly larger on the OD, perhaps this is just what Arrma needed all along!? I did have a question though, I have a new Senton V3, do you happen to know if Arrma has fixed this problem in the later versions? I honestly cant believe this has been an issue for so long, if the shock oil leaked in the car or heck even on the shelf I would be irritated to say the least with such a new RC. My 20 year old Traxxas shocks are still fine, hehe. Hey one other thing, any recommendations on keeping garbage out of the Senton/Slash type of RC's? I got a great deal but usually don't buy this style for this reason. Thanks!
Closed wheel bodies always collect debris. You have to deal with it. Maybe you shouldn't mind so much if you picked it in the first place. IDK.
Put a mesh cover on it. Create side guards... pick your flavor. There is no one trick or mod that works best.
I have a Mojave and a TA SC. I basically stay out of the dirt or don't complain much.
SC bodied rigs were never designed for dirt in the first place. They were designed for groomed tracks, it was a new race class back then. Now they are bashed in the dirt and it is a way of life with closed bodied off road rigs collecting crap... 🤷‍♂️ :cool:

Solid advice SrC, I was thinking after I place all those shock O-rings I might pickup a small body for it so the tires don't douse the electronics with water, dirt, and debris. (or not as much anyways)

Think Buggy body for the extreme mud and wet???
I have played with a clear buggy body trimmed well enough and velcroed to the chassis side guards in my Tekno MT. Placed inside and then my Raptor body on top of that. A few vent holes on its top to keep air flowing through. Just some ideas. JConcepts gave me that idea. He makes an inner lexan cover to keep dirt out of the TMT.
I use the Scorched RC wheel mud guards on my Mojave . Keeps all fairly clean now. They also made one for the Senton 6s if I remember correctly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back