Granite mega 4x4 upgrade to brushless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rummy12

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
My son has an old granite blx brushless. He was just gifted a new granite mega 4x4, which of course is much slower. He wants me to upgrade it to brushless. Can I just swap out the new esc and motor with his old esc and motor? If he runs it on 2s will this shred the new gears? If so what gears do I need? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Just to be clear you are talking about a old 2wd Granite BLX right?

Get the AR310773 17t HD inputs and on 2s you should be fine. If you go with anything more than 2s I would start looking at getting the 4X4 BLX parts to upgrade to (diff inputs, diffs, slipper/spur, motor module)

Just to be clear you are talking about a old 2wd Granite BLX right?

Get the AR310773 17t HD inputs and on 2s you should be fine. If you go with anything more than 2s I would start looking at getting the 4X4 BLX parts to upgrade to (diff inputs, diffs, slipper/spur, motor module)
Yes the old one is the 2wd model. I don't plan on going higher then 2s. I will order the part you suggested. I think he will be happy! Thanks for the info!

Yes the old one is the 2wd model. I don't plan on going higher then 2s. I will order the part you suggested. I think he will be happy! Thanks for the info!

Yeah I think he will be if I remember right the 2wd BLX was a 3800kv motor so should give you a nice speed increase on 2s. The rear diff input is the one that's prone to breaking the front may break but it's not as prone to breaking. I ran my Granite and Senton on 3s with Mega diffs and never broke the front diff input just the rear but with the HD input it won't break but now maybe the gears can strip. I just ended up putting the BLX parts in to handle more power (3s and larger motors).

Sorry one more question. I've never worked on a 4x4 vehicle. I'm assuming I need two of those input gears? One for each diff?

Sorry one more question. I've never worked on a 4x4 vehicle. I'm assuming I need two of those input gears? One for each diff?

Yes you should have two one for each diff. But like I said the rear is the one that really should be replaced the front maybe fine. The stock diff inputs on the Mega have plastic shafts the 17t HD ones have a metal shaft that's the difference. $4.99 a piece just go ahead and buy and change both. While you're at it I would suggest getting a rubber sealed bearing kit. The stock bearings in the 4X4 line are not that great and have been known to have some fail. You can get a kit from Jims Bearings, Fast Eddy Bearings, TRB bearings, Avid bearings, DSM bearings and maybe others.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back